Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think this is a shitty idea, but calling any part of the wasatch crest trail pristine is pretty silly. Sandwiched between four ski areas two highways and a stones throw from a major city.
    Hmmm, yes, well maybe not pristine as in the middle of Antarctica, but pristine in a Wasatch sense as in no Sniffle Stations, commercial interruptions for spas or time shares, very little garbage, native trees, real rocks instead of miles of cultured stone facades, unlandscaped flowers, no interpretive signs explaining the mating habits of bark beetles, no handrails or warning signs and of course, no lifts or tram towers.

Talisker and the colonies exposed their intent with Mid mountain.

If they build a tram through that land, look for a land transfer and an intent to develop that low angle slope in the next decade. They are a builder and developer. They are not a ski company. Never forget that!!!! For them, Skiing is just like a golf course to wrap homes beside.

my question is why would anyone let the can put in a new lift to begin with??? they haven't placed a ski lift with skiers in mind since the place was called park west. they added the bubble kush chair and re-routed the ganjdola to reduce the junkshow when in fact it made it look more like a junkshow. I mean the way they have lifts remind me of las lenas. shit it might just rank up there with the biggest shit show of a ski area in the world. I mean the can has bankrupted 2 companies now, talisker continues to destroy the community of which it is the majority landowner and their lift infrastructure has ski-in/ski-out homes in mind not actual skiing.

not only that but does adding a tram create any new or good terrain to the can??!? Nope! just a bunch of pretty mellow (esp. by the in bounds standard), short, south facing shots with long run outs. seriously, how many resorts are trying to add south facing terrain? even as a kid, i realized why ski areas in the northern hemisphere are predominately north facing. its not like USA bowl is a wasatch 'classic,' shit i doubt it gets mention in "Wasatch Tours." It took me a long time to even figure out what usa bowl was and when i did, i was like 'people actually ski that??' Which i still barely believe, i think people actually skiing USA bowl is just one big joke.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    Exactly, and as far as the overall concept of connecting all of the resorts together goes, I'm hardly opposed to it. It uses existing infrastructure (the road) and would minimize any new impacts. The catch seems to be that Guardsmans Pass is located in the very tippy corner of Wasatch County (Heber) and they have no economic incentive to plow the road during the winter. "Hmmm, why should we plow a road that helps people get from Summit County to Salt Lake County to spend all of their tourist dollars?" Also, I think from the Canyons POV, they don't want to be at the tail end of the massive interconnect - they want to be right in the middle and thus this fuckified idea for a lift.
    I live in Truckee so I don't know the situation in the Wasatch but around here it's common for one entity to contract with another to plow--Truckee in Nevada County plows the small part of Donner Lk that's in Placer County, I believe Truckee's Ponderosa Palisades subdivision is plowed by Northstar, which is private of course and is in Placer County, and I strongly suspect that Sugar Bowl pays for plowing Donner Pass Rd between Donner Lk and the resort, if they don't do the actual plowing themselves. Maybe a deal like that could be worked out for your road.

"its not like USA bowl is a wasatch 'classic," - Brutah

Ahem! It's "over forty bowl" thank you very much - There to forwith it by hereafter shall be calleth
    Last edited by SPREAD EAGLE; 09-22-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added quote

The Canyons/Taliskier are awesome. They are the ONLY resort in the Wasatch who are building a badly needed mountainbike park, (even though it's tiny)

Sorry guys, if they want to build a gondola to the top of Kings Peak, I'm all for it, as long they build a bunch of jumps and drops underneath it.

Go Canyons!

As far as 'The Colony" goes, its not like granola munching enviro-douchebags ever went there to commune with nature in the first place. If they build 1000 McMansions up there, it won't affect my life (or anybody else here either) in the slightest.

Environmentalists can be greedy too you know.
    Last edited by TheMessenger; 09-21-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMessenger View Post
    The Canyons/Taliskier are awesome. They are the ONLY resort in the Wasatch who are building a badly needed mountainbike park, (even though it's tiny)

Sorry guys, if they want to build a gondola to the top of Kings Peak, I'm all for it, as long they build a bunch of jumps and drops underneath it.

Go Canyons!

As far as 'The Colony" goes, its not like granola munching enviro-douchebags ever went there to commune with nature in the first place. Environmentalists can be greedy too you know.
    not sure which parts (if any) are serious, but, they are the only ones building a mtb park, and doing a great job as well. it's the only decent idea it seems they've had in the 2.5 years i've been here, and it sounds like the history of poor decision making goes way, way beyond that. hopefully they don't spoil all the good vibes they've got going right now with a shitferbrains idea like this.

Hmmm, yes, well maybe not pristine as in the middle of Antarctica, but pristine in a Wasatch sense as in no Sniffle Stations, commercial interruptions for spas or time shares, very little garbage, native trees, real rocks instead of miles of cultured stone facades, unlandscaped flowers, no interpretive signs explaining the mating habits of bark beetles, no handrails or warning signs and of course, no lifts or tram towers.
    There are a couple lifts within a stones throw of the crest.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Ecctreeskier-I'm 100% serious. I hope they make shit-tons of money at it too.

interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think this is a shitty idea, but calling any part of the wasatch crest trail pristine is pretty silly. Sandwiched between four ski areas two highways and a stones throw from a major city.

Not quite related to this thread, but you guys know the worst part of the proposed bird expansion? They move the bottom of the mineral lift a half mile down that valley. Yea, thats right, a half mile more flats to pole across in order to get to the lift. Many days even if you straighline the whole last pitch you don't have enough momentum to make it to the lift without poling already.
    you're right! there are a lot of ski lifts within a stones throw away from the crest, fuck it, let's just pave that trail, there is developed land within 20 miles of the area! good idea there................

Great thread, Brutah. More truth going on here, then most summer threads. StraightChuter, you crack me up with your truthful,and comical perspective. For a guy who loves the Canyons, I'm starting to have doubts regarding it's direction (although, I love the new fishing pond). Ted seems to be the "Basshole" of the wasatch back. Funny, I have passes to both the Can., and Snowbird.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by freshie247 View Post
    I love a good MLT when the mutton is nice & lean & the tomato is ripe.

Is the chuting gallery printed on ecco friendly recyled paper?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This lift is about access to developable land

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    my question is why would anyone let the can put in a new lift to begin with??? they haven't placed a ski lift with skiers in mind since the place was called park west. they added the bubble kush chair and re-routed the ganjdola to reduce the junkshow when in fact it made it look more like a junkshow. I mean the way they have lifts remind me of las lenas. shit it might just rank up there with the biggest shit show of a ski area in the world. I mean the can has bankrupted 2 companies now, talisker continues to destroy the community of which it is the majority landowner and their lift infrastructure has ski-in/ski-out homes in mind not actual skiing.

not only that but does adding a tram create any new or good terrain to the can??!? Nope! just a bunch of pretty mellow (esp. by the in bounds standard), short, south facing shots with long run outs. seriously, how many resorts are trying to add south facing terrain? even as a kid, i realized why ski areas in the northern hemisphere are predominately north facing. its not like USA bowl is a wasatch 'classic,' shit i doubt it gets mention in "Wasatch Tours." It took me a long time to even figure out what usa bowl was and when i did, i was like 'people actually ski that??' Which i still barely believe, i think people actually skiing USA bowl is just one big joke.
    As you stated, those canyons (Propossed Lift)are not optimal in bounds skiing. The canyons (Resort) has lots of short faces with long run outs on the better north slope already. They've almost finished the infrastructure at the Colonies. They've almost sold out their developments at Deer Valley. So, they have a new target with arguably a more pro development county than summit and park city. This is all about where they want the next Mc Mansions to be.

Exactly, and as far as the overall concept of connecting all of the resorts together goes, I'm hardly opposed to it. It uses existing infrastructure (the road) and would minimize any new impacts. The catch seems to be that Guardsmans Pass is located in the very tippy corner of Wasatch County (Heber) and they have no economic incentive to plow the road during the winter. "Hmmm, why should we plow a road that helps people get from Summit County to Salt Lake County to spend all of their tourist dollars?" Also, I think from the Canyons POV, they don't want to be at the tail end of the massive interconnect - they want to be right in the middle and thus this fuckified idea for a lift.
    I'm thinking if the masses want to ski fuckified terrain, go the the Alps where they are Pros at it. An interconnect wet dream. Don't fake it here, go live it! Go big!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

I'd lump Dear Valet, PCMR and the Canyons in with the LDS church - they are a big part of living in Utah, but don't really effect me, except when they start trying to expand into the public domain. Messenger - glad to hear you love that scene so much. To me, it is just 14 continuous miles of cable TV - 500 channels and nothing to watch.* Between the three areas you have 58 lifts and over 315 runs, most of which are variations on the intermediate groomer theme with a long, flat run-out at the end. I'd have to be half as hell-baked as Skifishbum to enjoy it, especially for close to $100 per day.

But, that is beside the point and off topic. Sorry about the wide photo, but if you are in Park City/Syderville, you can't cross the pink line in the winter without buying a ticket as 98% of that basin is either gated, private property, or ski resorts which don't allow uphill traffic. Fair enough, but if John Public isn't allowed free access, why should a corporate entity, like Talisker, be given public land and allowed to expand their reaches even further?

* I do like Dear Valet. If you are going to go for buffed groomers, you might as well get the best.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I don't pay to ski or ride lifts true skibums figure that shit out.

I never considered myself a true skibum. Maybe I need to reconsider.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Dont worry Todd Leeds aka Meynerd G Krebs wiill save the wasatch if the at apostle dont
    while I and my crew ski that shit up while you argue bout savin wasangles
    http://www.mountainproject.com/v/tod...ncil/107223280
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    As you stated, those canyons (Propossed Lift)are not optimal in bounds skiing. The canyons (Resort) has lots of short faces with long run outs on the better north slope already. They've almost finished the infrastructure at the Colonies. They've almost sold out their developments at Deer Valley. So, they have a new target with arguably a more pro development county than summit and park city. This is all about where they want the next Mc Mansions to be.
    excactly!!!! that bear trap fork development is a large parcel of private land as is the base of solitude. I could see talisker making a move to buy solitude at some point even though it is not currently for sale. maybe this is their first move.

and i wouldn't say the salt lake city watershed is pro-development. lots of environmental/political hoops to jump through.

but talisker isn't in the ski business. THEY ARE A DEVELOPER! they want to develop the land, sell it and run with their money...... they don't care about the bigger picture, they're in it to make coin and be out. at least, coalbird and the rest of em are tied to the land. talisker is just a developer after a quick buck, talisker don't give a shit, look at talisker go after that land, rape it for what its worth then run back to canada with all its monies............. DON'T TRUST TALISKER!!!

Fair enough, but if John Public isn't allowed free access, why should a corporate entity, like Talisker, be given public land and allowed to expand their reaches even further?
    Silly Rabbit, this is Utah.

Solitude has expanded the Eagle parking lot down to the old Inspiration Station Building making room for ???

Quote Originally Posted by skihost View Post
    Solitude has expanded the Eagle parking lot down to the old Inspiration Station Building making room for ???
    to allow more room for the SL refried cops that take naps there every week day afternoon????

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^^they're not napping they are concentrating on crime fighting really hard with their eyes closed.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Im ay B half baked but I don't pay to ski or ride lifts true skibums figure that shit out. Slingin drinks in Steins while the groominators whine because of to much snow is etched in me.
    Sounds like the definition of powder pussy.
    Helloooooooooo Kitty!