Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    So good.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

This PNW thread seems like it is pretty coastal. Anybody here ski Schweitzer, Lookout Pass, Turner, Whitewater and the other inland (east of the cascades) PNW resorts? I'll be based in Sand Point ID for about 10 days over the holidays. My sister-in-law is working at Schweitzer.

FKNA Jonesy, get some!

This weekend felt like winter. Getting back to town as the sun rolls down behind waves and clouds that are as ominous as a hurricanes' and the clock in the car hasn't spun past 5. That whole body exhaustion that comes from hiking to treeline and pushing up higher as the winds whirl harder and blind the eyes as they pick up new snow. Savoring each turn as you make your way from wind packed firm snow on exposed ridges to wind sheltered dip'n'dots through the open trees. A reminder of what was only 6 months ago, and what will be till 6 months from now.

Heliotrope was good today. PMgear w/dynafits and a splitter, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    This PNW thread seems like it is pretty coastal. Anybody here ski Schweitzer, Lookout Pass, Turner, Whitewater and the other inland (east of the cascades) PNW resorts? I'll be based in Sand Point ID for about 10 days over the holidays. My sister-in-law is working at Schweitzer.
    I spend most of my time at 49 with the family. Also spend time at Schweitzer, Red, Whitewater, Lookout, Mt Spokane for mid-week night skiing and Silver after everyone else shuts down.

Anyone know the avy conditions around baker?

Those pics look sweet! Makes me sad about having moved away. I miss the deepness...although I don't miss the Seattle traffic, so I guess there are always trade-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerpow View Post
    Anyone know the avy conditions around baker?
    Looks like there are some fairly active layers.
    http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing...?topic=22288.0

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Looks like there are some fairly active layers.
    http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing...?topic=22288.0
    ya i was thinking it might be a little hairy. well i will be up there tuesday diggin some pits so i get a real good idea how the snow packs doin. Will report back.

ya i was thinking it might be a little hairy. well i will be up there tuesday diggin some pits so i get a real good idea how the snow packs doin. Will report back.
    Things were stable around Table, Artist Point and Ptarmigan Ridge. Some wind-loading in areas but easy to avoid and wasn't reactive to ski cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPete81 View Post
    Things were stable around Table, Artist Point and Ptarmigan Ridge. Some wind-loading in areas but easy to avoid and wasn't reactive to ski cutting.
    Ok that sounds a lot better than i was picturing.

Thanks for the note.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPete81 View Post
    We were around Table/Herman today and didn't see the same hairpin-trigger crust-over-hoar that was reactive yesterday. Still, there are layers that should be respected with the continued cold precip.

Damn good November weekend to be out in the Baker area

Ok that sounds a lot better than i was picturing.

Thanks for the note.
    I'd err on the side of conservative, as we did today, staying off steep wind-loaded terrain. Didn't mean for my post above to incite any complacency. While we did not see any of the instabilities observed in the Skyline Divide area, there was some significant wind transport going on today in the Ptarmigan Ridge area, and as chmnyboy states, layers to be respected-especially as more loading occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayuse View Post
    I spend most of my time at 49 with the family. Also spend time at Schweitzer, Red, Whitewater, Lookout, Mt Spokane for mid-week night skiing and Silver after everyone else shuts down.
    Thanks. I'll keep checking this thread for conditions and stoke from those areas.

When are you going to be there? From around maybe the 14th till the 19th I will probably be at schweitzer or Red or whitewater (depends on where the snow is at).

I will be at whitewater in the middle of february for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by twbarrett View Post
    When are you going to be there? From around maybe the 14th till the 19th I will probably be at schweitzer or Red or whitewater (depends on where the snow is at).
    I land in Spokane the 23rd of December and fly out January 4th. I will mainly be based in Sand Point skiing Schweitzer and making day-trips to other resorts close by. Whitewater and Red mtn are very high on the list and we may stay the night up there.

Skin laps at Summit West yesterday. Just enough cover for some fun turns.

Just drove over snoquami/blewitt and its really dumping up there(especially around alpy exit), but you all know that already... temps were encouraging too

Side note drove over Coquahalla on Friday and they are getting seriously dumped on up there

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I was looking at the web cam all weekend wondering if it was.

Oh man. drove to MRNP yesterday to brave the whiteout. Only to find out that the AM roads phone report was an error and the road was closed past Longmire.

What were we to do but continue on to White Pass. 7 hrs driving for probably about 7 mins of turns. Well worth it. They need a bit more to open but we found some good pockets.

On a cautionary note BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. We were getting loud, widespread, and sensitive cracking/collapses in ALL the areas deep enough to ride. Didn't dig much but seemed to be going on the small rotted out sugar/depth layer from the previous cycle. Low angle and/or anchored enough to not be a concern for us but I would not have wanted to venture out on anything steep and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by chmnyboy View Post
    We were around Table/Herman today and didn't see the same hairpin-trigger crust-over-hoar that was reactive yesterday. Still, there are layers that should be respected with the continued cold precip.

Damn good November weekend to be out in the Baker area
    Glad to hear stability settled down. On Saturday, N-facing slopes (Table Mountain) were quite reactive to aggressive ski cutting. Great skiing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    What time were you up there? I went around 4 pm before work and it was nice and heavy but still ok shrub skiing.

Tomorrow should be awesome. I'll be at alpental in a red jacket. Drinking PBR.

And skiing of course.

Just ordered my pass for Schweitzer last week. Also planning to get up to Whitewater a few times this year

This thread definitely seems more Cascade oriented though

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    Oh man. drove to MRNP yesterday to brave the whiteout. Only to find out that the AM roads phone report was an error and the road was closed past Longmire.
    I plan on staying the weekend up there at paradise, you think they'll have the road open. The forecast is showing it will taper off towards the weenkend.