Thumbs up Saw this siiiiiiick SAS'd 2nd generation Tacoma for sale

Saw this on TacomaWorld -- one of very few SAS'd 2nd generation Tacomas in existence. For sale in south Jersey, for a steal:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...e-diamond.html

Somebody out there needs to snap this up!

I like the big HDPE skid plate underneath.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

What does SAS stand for. Thats a cool truck and all but when I read SAS I was picturing something a bit more like this.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Solid axle swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

^^ That's what I noticed. Very sweet

SAS = solid axle swap. The independent front suspension (IFS) on the stock truck was replaced with a solid front axle, link arms, and long travel shocks so that the suspension can flex a crapload to crawl over big obstacles.

SAS's were fairly common on earlier Toyota trucks, and a bunch of 1st generation Tacomas had them done -- but so far only a few 2nd generation Tacomas have had SAS's done, so this truck for sale is super rare.

Here's a cool thread that shows what's is involved in building a truck up like this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ing-beast.html

Skip to 2:08 to see a SAS'd 2nd gen Tacoma in action:

Why not just start with a solid axle truck and save money? I never understand why people do this.

Maybe they don't care about the money and just want that truck done like that?

I could spend $40K on a used 'vette, or I could spend $50K modifying/rebuilding my old Firebird to get near the same performance. Why don't I just buy the 'vette?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

if you want a new compact/midsized pickup with a solid front axle in north america, custom is your only option. afaik

Looks stupid to me... I know, I suck.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yup the Wrangler is the only new light duty vehicle available in the US with a solid front axle. Kinda sad IMO since there are a lot of folks out there who would sacrifice a touch of ride comfort for the convenience of working with 2 solid axles. But the fact of the matter is that if you can't market your new SUV/mid-sized pickup to the soccer moms as a heavy duty grocery getter then you might as well plan to stop development at the concept vehicle stage.

Here's a sweet shot of an SAS'd Xterra up in Evergreen. Note the bottle opener mounted on the right side of the bumper.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    Why not just start with a solid axle truck and save money? I never understand why people do this.
    Pretty much what BCJC and Cruiser said. You can't get a truck stock with a solid axle unless you get a fullsize (and a heavy duty fullsize, at that) -- and only a fool would build a fullsize truck into a crawler or trail rig. The only other option is a Jeep, and even then most built up Jeeps end up swapping out the stock front axle for something beefier than OEM.

I know nothing about off roading, trucks, physics, etc... but can someone tell me in simple terms why this is a good thing. My brain seems to think having the 2 front wheels able to move independently of each other would be a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by alembical View Post
    I know nothing about off roading, trucks, physics, etc... but can someone tell me in simple terms why this is a good thing. My brain seems to think having the 2 front wheels able to move independently of each other would be a good thing
    When going over big obstacles it's all about suspension articulation/flex, because you want to keep as many tires on the ground as possible for maximum traction and stability. Indepenent suspension just can't come even close to what a solid axle setup can do in terms of suspension travel, because independent suspension is limited by the relatively short radius of the arc that the suspension linkage travels thru, and also by the limited articulaiton of the CV axles in the front drivetrain of a 4x4.

Check out this vid of an older Tacoma to see how much the suspension articulates, note how the front and rear axles form an "X" relative to each other when viewed from the front when the suspension is fully flexed at 1:45. That means that all 4 tires are making contact with the ground even over highly irregular terrain:

In simple terms when the tire on one side of the vehicle goes up as you go over an obstacle the axle acts like a lever pushing the tire on the other side down which increases your overall ground clearance. An independent suspension by definition has no such mechanical advantage although I assume you could program it into an active suspension.