AT Binding Advice for Lib Tech NAS Pow 2011

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice for a nice stable AT binding for a new pair of last years Lib Tech Nas Pow skis I just bought, 181cm.

To give you all some background:

I moved West last year and had been skiing on East coast thin-ass ice style skis all last season. Wellll...by April, I got pretty tired of them diving into the fresh snow, so I decided to throw down for a decently nice pair of powder-style skis THIS year.

On top of resort skiing, I'll be doing some back country this winter. I'd imagine I'll be doing most of my skiing at the resort, 80-90%, and every now and then (after my avalanche class) I'll be hitting the back country, 10-20% of the time.

Essentially, I need a binding thats gonna be solid enough to lock in Alpine and aggressively ski the resorts, but also give me the option to AT, too. I've been doing a ton of my own research and it looks like Marker (either the Dukes or Barons) may be my best options since I'll be rocking the resort so much. Plus, they give me the option to save money on a new boot! .......but what.says.youuuu's. Got any favorites? Anyone got any experience hooking an AT setup on these skis?

Any advice for a n00b?

Thanks,

Kurt

knee bindings with alpine trekkers
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    knee bindings with alpine trekkers
    Those knee bindings look pretty damn interesting. Never had a problem with my knee before, but would LOVE to prevent it!!! Are those bindings tried and tested? Or are they pretty new on the scene?

I've thought about adding the alpine trekkers to a nice solid downhill binding, but from reviews I've read they aren't very good for climbing and can be a pain in the ass in general......am I totally off on this? Plus, for the price ($150+) plus a nice pair of downhill bindings wouldn't it be worth it to just spring for a nice versatile downhill/AT binding?

you're gonna get thrashed for posting in here, but just buy dukes.
    you should try searchin' these here forums.

telesucks beat me to it....try asking in tech talk, otherwise the sharks will start to circle. but yeah Dukes prolly
    "Everybody's just a couple DUI's away from a chinese scooter" ~~Thomas Jefferson.

doughboyshredder Guest
    PM Tom from Austria. He'll set you straight.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightdbag View Post
    telesucks beat me to it....try asking in tech talk, otherwise the sharks will start to circle. but yeah Dukes prolly
    Yeah...figured as much. Thanks for the fair warning.

I tried to post this in the Tech Talk, but it never posted after the 'Mod Review'

Hey Mods. Wanna move this thread to the Tech area?

PM Tye1on, a mod to move it.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Jesus Shit Fuck, Gaper Day?! Knee bindings suck. Think of this; the most likely way to injure your knee is when riding back seat (like most people do in the powder or a wheely when not stomping a cliff). If you get this knee binding it will save your knees, but it will definitely pre releases a ton, becuase of the nature of knee injuries vs. the binding holding you on your sticks. FUck knees (the binding). Get some sth's or pivots on throw them on a mfd all time.

TiTiFlip,

You don't know shit! Knee Bindings with Trekkers is the perfect fucking solution here. This jong can't fucking ski or he wouldn't be on narrow gay-ass fucking snowboards to begin with. So he's more apt to get hurt. Butthurt. Therefore the KB will help and the Trekker will help slow him down a little.

How the fuck do you cut skins for magne-traction?
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    TiTiFlip,

You don't know shit! Knee Bindings with Trekkers is the perfect fucking solution here. This jong can't fucking ski or he wouldn't be on narrow gay-ass fucking snowboards to begin with. So he's more apt to get hurt. Butthurt. Therefore the KB will help and the Trekker will help slow him down a little.
    Why am I a jong for buying the NAS? I'm honestly curious....I got a great deal on last years model, twas hard to pass up especially considering they will be my only pair.....I understand their not the most serious ski out there.....

How the fuck do you cut skins for magne-traction?
    Good question. Anyone had any experience?

You're not a jong just for buying NAS, that's just a byproduct of being a jong. You're a jong because you have 4 posts and joined the community in the past week. We haze most noobs. Look up the definition of jong and tell me it doesn't fit.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Troll has pulled in a fish.

I mean, right?

I recommend that you put attach skin tip to tail and skin switch uphill.

Tech Talk!!!
    You've been warned....

You're not a jong just for buying NAS, that's just a byproduct of being a jong. You're a jong because you have 4 posts and joined the community in the past week. We haze most noobs. Look up the definition of jong and tell me it doesn't fit.
    I posted saying I was a n00b. And I'm all about flaming a nub like me, I do the same in forums I'm senior. It's all fair game....no worries.

Why I posted: I've done a TON of research on this question on and off this forum. It's been a great tool, but after sifting through this info I wanted to find out if my assumptions were correct for my situation and, most importantly, for my particular skis. Anyone got any experience with this pair?

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightdbag View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Why the Duke? I'm leaning that way....

duke= best 80/20 resort/tourer in my opinion
    "Everybody's just a couple DUI's away from a chinese scooter" ~~Thomas Jefferson.

you want geeze bindings

to go with your steeze
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Did somebody say Trekkers, and kneebinding?

Yah...this is happening.

Courtesy of EpicSki.
    Training for Alpental

Lib Tech NAS Pow skis?!?! Anyone got a pair? What cha' think?

Any experience with em' with a limited AT setup that I'm talking about?

Don't really know why everyone always asks what binding to put on (X) ski. With the exception of a few proprietary track systems, all bindings work on all skis. A better question is: "What kind of binding best suits my needs?" Sounds like you already bought the ski. Have the ski. Think the ski is good for you.

NAS pow's aren't a bad ski. Magnetraction has its naysayer and its fans. (Although I do agree with sinecure. Could be tough to cut skins for them.) They are reasonably light. I have skied them for a couple runs and thought they were alright. Poppy. Ride pow ok. Can't really drive hard or the tip folds on you and slows you way down. I have a friend (that I borrowed them from) that loves them and tours on a pair with Dynafits. Haven't heard any complaints. (of course, his last pair of "tour" boards were XXL's with dukes, so anything is a step up in tourability.)

The moral of this rant is: quit asking silly questions. You have those skis. You got a good price. Mount something on them and ski them. Hate em? Sell em.

As for bindings: You want to tour, but not much. Get dukes. Or mfd alltimes with any binding of your choice. Dukes have their known issues but are the industry standard for burly touring bindings right now. Mfd's seem interesting but overpriced.

Oh, and for fuck's sake. If you read that last paragraph and thought to yourself "what are MFD alltime's?", don't post a question asking.

SEARCH JONG

No No No! You need a pair for the BC and a pair for the resort. You also need two different boots. Get another pair of the NAS pows or maybe some Praxis Backcountry and put some Dyanfit 12's on them. Then get a good fitting pair of stiffer dynafit compatible boots.

FOR REALS! You will be much a happier.

BTW... I've been riding the NAS pow for a couple years in the 191, bought them on a whim... LOVE EM! Great ski. Super FUN and FAST!
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

All this shit talking made me sign up just so I could tell you I got a pair last year of the 191's and mounted Dukes on them. They rip in the deeps and hold their own on the resort shit but really they aren't for that so, don't be surprised. They are a tool like any other and as such should be put in the big snow day catagory not the everyday quiver. The magna traction is a bit gimmicky but does the job. As for cutting skins, it's honestly not that difficult unless your a complete fucking moron. I used the BCA skins and they work fine. I have done some 1-4 hour tours on them at Baker and can't complain except for the fact that they are a bit heavy after 4 hours. All the NAS POW naysayers are just a bunch of shit skiers that think they've figured it out with some magical fucking unicorn ski just cause they bought it and think its the shit....and fucking kneebindings??? ...really? really?

duct tape and scrunchies.