3.5 weeks out, ACL rehab question

Having PT done in central New York is a JOKE. My therapist is a dud, and i question everything he does, but this is the way it has to be till schools over and done with come May. My question:

In general flexion and especially when walking, it seems if i dont flex my quad HARD and deliberately before the flexion, i get an awful feeling like the junk/muscle in the back of my knee is getting sucked into the whole joint. Then i kinda lock out and rithe in pain. can anyone relate?

Also, would a big part of my difficulty in walking at this point be due to poor calf strength? when i walk with my good leg, the flick of the foot seems like it engages the quad well and would prevent me from the above. we dont do calf work and its weak as hell-- normal? am i making sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    In general flexion and especially when walking, it seems if i dont flex my quad HARD and deliberately before the flexion, i get an awful feeling like the junk/muscle in the back of my knee is getting sucked into the whole joint. Then i kinda lock out and rithe in pain. can anyone relate?
    Chances are left over congealed swelling/blood/fluid from surgery is still kind of swishing around in the joint. This is fairly common. Is see this in most of the people I work with and know first hand what this sensation feels like. This will go away as the swelling goes down.

Can you feel it move around when you just flex and extend the knee without any weight on it?

The locking out sensation is somewhat troubling, does it actually lock and you can't move or is it just painful to move? Does it feel like something is stuck in the joint? If it feels like there is something menchanically stuck in the joint, let your PT know and call your doc.

Also, would a big part of my difficulty in walking at this point be due to poor calf strength? when i walk with my good leg, the flick of the foot seems like it engages the quad well and would prevent me from the above. we dont do calf work and its weak as hell-- normal? am i making sense?
    Weak calf is possible, but it kind of sounds like you might not have full extension yet. If you don't have full extension it makes it tough to push off when walking. basically you can't walk without some sort of limp if you don't have full extension yet.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com