Page 179 of 181 FirstFirst ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 4523
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I dunno. I almost prefer a season that starts with a four foot dump just before Halloween, and another in early November, as opposed to a two inch dusting here or there. Give me awesome fall weather, and great surf conditions, and them hammer me with winter. I do not enjoy being with a tease.
    I would like to see a repeat of the January storm that began the season, only in November (don't want it to melt...), that began with the heavy rain - getting the dirt wet; getting real cold for the first eighteen inches - filling and icing over the base rockage; pounding down another foot of thick base the next night and day; followed by another foot or so of fluff - taking it from dirt, rocks and bushes to BOTTOMLESS POW in three days.

OK, right there is why I want to stay in the TC RV/parking lot. Damn, damn, damn!!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-01-23_15-01-19_925.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	834.9 KB 
ID:	121630

Let it Snow!
    Last edited by powdrhound; 10-01-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: it needed a visual of the weekend.

An Omen...

Saw one of the White Pelican's on Lake Merritt on Saturday.
    Didn't see any at all last year.
    The year before that, there was a whole platoon of 'em...
    ...a good omen, in my book.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    first week of december?? wtf are you guys talking about??
    november 2011 - a shitty year
    november 2010 - a not so shitty year.

in summation, we should be game on by mid november or sooner
    I think I said Halloween. The one in October. 2004. A very good year indeed.

I agree about mid November being the time though. My favorite years have great fall weather right up until the 2nd week of November. Then a wet storm, followed by a cold storm, followed by a cold storm, followed by a cold storm....

I skied Upper Cham one Halloween. That's my early season marker

Hey Reno/Tahoe mags,

Powderwhore's "Choose Your Own Adventure" is playing Friday, October 19th at the Patagonia Outlet in Reno at 7:30pm.

Buy Tickets in advance for $12, $15 at the door. A portion of the proceeds from beer provided by Big Sky Brewery benefits the Sierra Avalanche Center and SheJumps.org. Hope to see you there!

Sugar Bowl will operate Royal Gorge

Perry Norris is a badass.

DONNER SUMMIT, CALIF. Oct. 2, 2012 — Sugar Bowl Resort has signed an agreement to operate Royal Gorge Cross Country Resort, America's largest cross-country operation, which is being purchased by the Truckee Donner Land Trust, the Trust for Public Land and the Northern Sierra Partnership.

The Sugar Bowl Resort operating agreement was inked on Monday, Oct. 1, and includes the 3,000 acres the conservation groups have agreed to purchase. The Truckee Donner Land Trust, the Trust for Public Land and the Northern Sierra Partnership put down a $500,000 non-refundable deposit on the property on Oct. 1, and plan to complete the $11.25 million purchase on Dec. 20, 2012. The previous owners of Royal Gorge defaulted on their loan on the property, and Royal Gorge was taken over by the lender last summer.

The agreement unites two of North Tahoe's premiere ski resorts. Sugar Bowl Resort, founded in 1939, is a 1,500-acre downhill ski resort with four peaks, 13 lifts and North Tahoe's deepest annual snowpack. Royal Gorge is America's largest cross-country ski resort. Its 200 kilometers of trails and approximately 6,000 acres of terrain stretch from the open expanse of Van Norden Meadows to the foot of majestic Devil's Peak. The Summit Station lodge is the center of the cross-country resort and eight warming huts dot the expansive eight track trail system. Sugar Bowl has trail leases with Donner Summit landowners, which will ensure the entire 6,000 acres of cross-country ski will be open for skiing this winter.

Sugar Bowl Resort and Royal Gorge are already connected by an "interconnect trail" that allows skiers to ski back and forth between the Donner Summit resorts, and plans are in the works to further enhance the connection with two additional beginner-friendly routes. Sugar Bowl is now offering a season pass that allows holders to downhill ski at Sugar Bowl and cross-country ski at Royal Gorge for one affordable rate. Sugar Bowl passholders can add on an unrestricted Royal Gorge pass for $149 (adult price), and can purchase an unrestricted, standalone Royal Gorge pass for $299.

Sugar Bowl plans to invest $500,000 into Royal Gorge this season, including upgrades and renovations to Summit Station, the purchase of two new grooming machines, enhanced wayfinding signage, a new website with comprehensive daily grooming report and more. Sugar Bowl is committed to making Royal Gorge, again, the preeminent cross country resort in North America. It will also bring a tradition of exceptional customer service to the resort. Sugar Bowl Resort was one of three ski resorts across the nation awarded "Best Overall Guest Service Program" by the National Ski Area Association in 2010.

"Royal Gorge has incredible potential, and we're excited about the opportunity to return such an iconic resort to its once and former glory", said Sugar Bowl CEO Rob Kautz. "It's a perfect complement to the authentic alpine adventure brand that we've built here at Sugar Bowl, and we're committed to investing in Royal Gorge as a world-class destination for years to come."

Royal Gorge is known for its easy access, consistent snow conditions and expansive trail system. The resort's high-elevation base area (much of the resort sits above 7,000 feet), ensures reliable, high-quality snow conditions. And its location, significantly closer to San Francisco and Sacramento than other North Tahoe resorts, make it a popular day and overnight ski destination.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

hiked tallac today. coming back i saw something that took my breath away. the burger lounge sign; with the burger lounge part of it painted over. have they closed?

edit- oops, i forgot about google. from the tahoe notsodaily tribune.
    Burger Lounge has announced that its last day in business will be Sunday, Sept. 30.

The restaurant, owned by Matt Reinke and located at 717 Emerald Bay Road, has been in business for nine years and has been voted Best of Tahoe multiple times.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Anyone need a place to stay at KW this season?

the burger lounge sign; with the burger lounge part of it painted over. have they closed?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That is a shame - loved the Cajun fries. But honestly was going downhill since they lost the booze license for selling to underage kids.

It was all about getting the half pesto, half cajun fries box.
    Despite all the times I have frozen my ass off in there due to lack of heat, I have fond memories of post skiing eating at the BL.

In Memoriam (at least spats is still around )

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

‎"There will be a cut-off low that will form off the coast and the forecast models are now bringing it slowly inland over Central CA by the middle of next week. It will be moisture starved, but it should be cold enough at the core to bring snow above 7,000 ft so maybe our first dusting. Then...a cold snowstorm hitting us around the 17th."
    Love you, BA!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

^ hopefully that means singletrack gold!!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^^^you need to stop worrying about mountain biking and start thinking about upgrading your sticker box.

^^^you need to stop worrying about mountain biking and start thinking about upgrading your sticker box.
    Hawt custom duct tape job.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I skied Upper Cham one Halloween. That's my early season marker
    I was there but I'm losing my edge.

IF THE ECMWF VERIFIES, THE SIERRA COULD RECEIVE ITS FIRST NOTABLE NON-CONVECTIVE PRECIPITATION EVENT OF THE SEASON BY NEXT TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY. MJD

That's what I'm talking about. We'll see if this guy is more reliable than BA, who I love for his specific focus on Tahoe, is often a little overly optimistic in the 4+ day range. Of course they all put conditions on their observations like "if x verifies..." so they are not really predicting. They are the weather hypothesizers, which of course means it is just hype. The proof is in the powder. Maybe we should be asking them to predict when this thread will officially be retired.

^^^I don't see it. Unless "notable" means a dusting to a few inches. And I don't see it happening until Thursday night, when this low move inland over southern CA, sending a plume up into the Sierra. There has been so much talk about rain down here, and I think it is just bored weathermen looking hard for something to talk about. Models a week back suggested a light sprinkle and ever since then there has been talk of rain, even though the models have backed off hard. Relax and wait for it. It is barely October. The weather is awesome. Go bike, climb, surf, something.

It's about time for a 12/13 thread eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Does he always hold his balls when walking? This matters to me.

idk.

TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^I don't see it. Unless "notable" means a dusting to a few inches. And I don't see it happening until Thursday night, when this low move inland over southern CA, sending a plume up into the Sierra. There has been so much talk about rain down here, and I think it is just bored weathermen looking hard for something to talk about. Models a week back suggested a light sprinkle and ever since then there has been talk of rain, even though the models have backed off hard. Relax and wait for it. It is barely October. The weather is awesome. Go bike, climb, surf, something.
    he is talking about the following week, starting the 15th

I'm a believer in the 16th / 17th event to get things started. Before then, meh. And the new thread should not happen until then, at the earliest, as discussed previously.

Not sure what I means, but this time last year I was skiing on fresh powder up on Sunbowl along Donner Ridge and also hiking/skiing Alpine Bowl at AM.

Yesterday me, Vets, and Powdrhound (and his trusty sidekick Bella) hit up Dunderberg glaciers. Day was crystal clear, but it was chilly. The snow was ice (yes, verifiable ice in that you could see your reflection in it) and both the glacial ponds were dried up. The leaves on the surrounding trees have turned yellow, finally, so fall is in full effect, but no signs of winter as of yet.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

he is talking about the following week, starting the 15th
    Oh, so, like when they are looking at the fantasy crystal ball charts? In that case, confidence high that it will precipitate (somewhere between Fairbanks and Santa Barbara) that week. That storm has not been modeled hitting any where near us 5 out of the last 6 runs. If we are lucky enough to have it come this way, it has always be modeled with a pretty good slug of moisture. While today's run has that storm hitting the Cascades, it does show a deep cold low creeping our coast and pulling in light moisture around the 20th with a bigger slug a few days later. Whatever. It is fun to look at these, but they don't mean much other than we might get some soon. Or not.

FWIW, our brethren in CO have kinda/sorta kick-started their winter a day earlier from last year...

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...ON01/121009905

hain't found any news on when Boreal plans to ramp up their WROD, but imagine it will be closer to Nov. unless temps really start to plummet up here.

An additional FWIW, last year the ski hill in LV actually beat out A-Basin as being the first N.A. resort to spin lifts and offer "pre-season" schussing.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en