Page 7 of 181 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Ebbett's Pass and Sonora Pass are scheduled to close at 5pm today. No word on 120.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Ottime - Owen will babysit - 5 is old enough, right?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Tried that too dad... They said the office would be open til 3 so I drove up...
    As for squaw: Im stoked to have a free pass but after they took our jobs last year Im not putting any money DIRECTLY into squaw this year (I put deposits down on our Alpine passes last season)

Gonna try again tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthon View Post
    Fuck that, i been off real snow for 7 months. I'm pretty much foaming at the mouth over this little squirt of an early season storm. I know it will be gone in a couple of days, but it will be real good for at least a couple of laps.
    Huh?

There's been plenty of real snow all over Tahoe and the Eastside for the past 7 months: Carson Pass is still holding bueno, Mt. Lola over Truckee way is sweet right now, Dunderberg down South on the Eastside is kinda sick...while I'm as stoked as the rest of you for the impending storm, the proposed 10" above 9000 ain't gonna do much but lay a nice Tony Montana spread on the ground. You're gonna wanna hit somewhere all your base belongs to us (i.e. some place that already has snow from this 10/11 season still on the ground). If you're a Southie, I'd head for Carson Pass/Roundtop or make the trek down Mammoth way where some of the patches are still holding 10 ft bases! If you're a Northie, I'd head for Lola.

But then that's just my take on the sitch.

PS
    Nuthon, can't remember if you injured yourself at the end of the lift-served season, so if you did and that's why you've been off the snow for 7 months, Kurt Cobain to you (all apologies). If you weren't injured, then dude! why didn't you hit the goods I mentioned above (this summer the sun cups were pretty non-existent).

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

If you put a deposit down you're supposed to get auto-billed for the remainder on Nov. 1st. Why would you need to go into the office?

maybe he's payin with:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01-large-cash-money.gif 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	100982
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Ottime - Owen will babysit - 5 is old enough, right?
    Works for me. Can he change diapers?

Honestly, if it was not for the 3.5 plus hour drive, I would seriously consider strapping him into a carrier and just skinning around to smell that mountain air and work these lungs and legs.

Dooks. Just stop it, man. No way your glacial patches are as good a skiing as fresh powder. Don't even compare. I like what you do, and hell, if I was up there as my regular pad, I'd be finding time to scrape some ice. I think you just need to learn how to surf, and you'd see a different perspective. In all honesty, this storm will most likely not produce. But Nuthon knows his stuff. If the region gets 10", then Sentinel bowl will have 20" (Wind Blown+Crest+K-Kactor). And if that is the case, it is enough to float ya above most of stuff. And there will be drifts to get face shots. For like four laps. Then it will be spent. And bases? Just bring the rock skis. Or your main pair if you are 50% of the folks on here. They don't care about no stinkin rocks.

But you are right, the patches will get a nice resurfacing. I thinks you should avoid skiing them until they go through a few more freeze/melt cycles or it will get all manked up. And before that happens, they will just be loose snow on ice, like you saw last year.

And to all you folks who will be out there enjoying blown in terrain traps - be careful.

Otter Pops:

Never meant to compare patches to powder (and for the record, didn't ski any ice all summer...heck, even yesterday on Lola with the wind howling, I was kicking up rooster tails of soft serve). I was just commenting that for somebody living in Tahoe for the past 7 months, unless they were injured/out of commission, then there was plenty of stuff to ski (just look at all of Powdork's excursions).

I think we can all agree that 10" of fresh pow on nothing but dirt and rocks ain't the same as never-ending deep pow layered on an established base. So comparing the upcoming storm (which is unpredictable at best) to already existent snow/glaciers really doesn't compare, either.

Two seasons ago at this time Vets and I hiked up to Roundtop in boot deep fresh pow only to ski a patch that was ice covered in a light dusting. 10" above 9000 feet is gonna produce about the same conditions. Fluff on scruff, dust on crust, Nice on ice, pow on ow, whatever you wish to call it. Which is why I would suggest, if you are hell-bent on getting the first snowfall of the new season, to trek to a location that already has a base to minimize potential injury/increase enjoyment. Seeing as how there isn't any snow on the frontside of KW, it seems like it would end up being 10" (at the high end) on top of bare rock, dirt, shrubs, and grass. I'd take an established patch of old snow with the same 10" over that any day. And since there's some nice patches up on Roundtop, I'd opt for that over KW.

That said, perhaps KW will score, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't know that mountain/region all too well being a North Laker, but I drove up 88 this past Friday and it is bare around there. The only snow still up in that region is up above Roundtop.

I agree, that some of the patches could end up being nice on ice, but the conditions of the snow this summer was quite beyond what it normally is (very minimal sun cups all around the area, soft serve, smearable snow even on cold days) so skiing new on old could be quite bueno.

I don't doubt that Nuthon knows his stuff, but for him to lament the lack of "real" snow over the past 7 months is kind of ridiculous (unless, of course, he's been injured/out of commission). I again defer to the wild exploits of Powdork, who seemed to be hitting a lot of "real" snow all summer long (as did I, Vets, Telemike, and a host of others around here).

Trying to figure out how learning to surf will allow me to see a different perspective...the way I see it, if you truly enjoy/love skiing, then you will ski on anything from ice to powder to slush to corn, from bottomless face shots to scrappy patches of sun cups: it's all snow and it's all fun (I would imagine that that thought process is the same for surfing: you surf anything from dinky swells to towering waves, it's all about just being out there and getting it however, whenever, and as much as you can, no?)

PS
    in case it doesn't come across, I'm just as excited about the potential of the impending storm as the rest of you. heck, new snow = new season!
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-04-2011 at 02:11 PM.

he hit highland lakes at the end of august which were his first turns after his injury.

there's plenty of places that get reasonably filled in and have a gentlish surface underneath. monte wolfe at kirkwood is mostly grass once you're off the top. freel is finely broken shale. rose has grassy runs. heavenly has grassy groomers.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thanks for the clarification PD (and the grassy knoll beta)...I thought Nuthon had been injured, just couldn't remember...so, yeah, Nuthon, not meaning to harsh your mellow and stoked that you're back in the mix and out on the sticks. Hope you get some freshies this week to make up for the 7 months of down time.
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-04-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    he, he.

As for all, day, every day - especially with surfing, well, I'm kind of picky. Although being a pops has allowed me to lower the standard and enjoy any time I get to paddle out.

I do think that what you do is as different from "just winter touring" as "resort only" skiing is from BC skiing.

For me it is like this: head deep blower>stand up barrels>fresh powder>head high rippers>corn snow>fun summer swell>patch skiing>barely ridable dribble>mountain biking>masturbating

dude, dork is the biggest kook on here. just ask hugh.

oh, btw, im just jealous that you guys get to ski all summer...

so i refer to it as making sno cones. im off to schralp some barrels. which is what i call changing a diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    For me it is like this: head deep blower>stand up barrels>fresh powder>head high rippers>corn snow>fun summer swell>patch skiing>barely ridable dribble>mountain biking>masturbating
    This needs to be on a bumper sticker.

Anyone want to ski at Carson Pass on Friday? I would like to go with someone who knows where the patches are that were left over from last season so I don't totally trash my skis. PM me. I am busy this weekend, so Fri is my only day.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    he hit highland lakes at the end of august which were his first turns after his injury.
    there's plenty of places that get reasonably filled in and have a gentlish surface underneath. monte wolfe at kirkwood is mostly grass once you're off the top. freel is finely broken shale. rose has grassy runs. heavenly has grassy groomers.
    Knee injury, I watched March from the couch,April & May hell & June from Physical therapy office & July from work. i did get a couple of laps @ highlands in Aug

Same with most of Sentinel & it I have done it the last 3-4 years with the first foot plus storm. It's always 6-10" at the bottom of 7 & by the time you get half way up its 12-18. Here's last years start

& one of Ottime from 2 years ago

hmmm...perhaps I might have to hit up KW area pre-pre-season to balance out the WROD action we get on the North side.

btw, just started raining in Truckee...

My new sig

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I completed my bike today... It is going to snow sofa king hard tonight! It's almost like I'm heading to Mexico or Hawaii.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

There was definitely fresh blanket of snow in the Cottonwood Lakes area this morning at 8AM when I flew over it in a jet plane. So at least the Eastside 11-12 season is started! We didn't pull north far enough for me to see if the Carson Pass area got anything ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

All time Ottime!

...but I'd love to hear a more detailed breakdown before I swear to it...

...im off to schralp some barrels. which is what i call changing a diaper.
    I can't remember...

its howling over the passes tonight.
    hopefully the mountains will be socked in with some snow clouds and wee wont have to look at all this greenness.
    day old picture.[IMG][/IMG]

You must really LOVE mountain biking!

It snowed.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO