Page 13 of 181 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Just a few food suggetions:

Reno

Coffee -- The Hub. Best coffee in Reno, period. Yes, it is in a converted garage and there's only street parking.

Food --
    Vietnamese: Pho 777 is the classic, but Pho Country 2 is actually a bit tastier. Golden Flower, however, is open until 3am 7 days a week now. Hopefully they'll forget my little incident at 1am a few weeks ago...

Rubicon Deli: Tasty tasty sandwiches, friendly if gruff laidies behind the counter most days. Ample street parking on California.

Sup: Yes, it's a dumb name, but the soup really is worth finding a parking spot. Also note that Google still has their old address, which is just down the street. My link is to the current location.

Imperial: Only go there on 1/2 price burger night, get the tater tots, not the fries.

Chocolate Bar: if you like girly drinks that taste like dessert, or you want chocolatey desserts, or just to make ladyfriends happy, this is not a bad place to go. Bonus points for playing old sci-fi movies on the flat screens in an otherwise reno-trendy looking facility.
    Some really good suggestions there. The Hub rawks. Love the staff too. Super friendly.

For pho, I have to plug Asian Noodles in the Costco shopping center on Plumb. By far, my fav in the area. Much better than 777.

Sup is fucking rad. Love the staff there too. Rubicon Deli rocks too.

For some reason, I just can't get into the Chocolate Bar though. It's a dessert bar...with just ok dessert. Meh.

Bars:
    Ceol - Probably the most unpretentious Irish bar I've ever been too in the States. It's also owned and run by a great group of people who also love to ski. Rad place.

St. James Infirmary - Probably my fav. Great drinks, rad beer selection, good peeps, nice roof deck during the summer, etc. Can appear to be too cool for school when you walk in, but the place is actually pretty chill. They have random small bands roll through pretty frequently too. Oh and their opening a restaurant/brewery soon.

Strega - Nice little place with fresh squeezed greyhounds. Bonus points for when they buy ruby reds. Good drinks, pool table, couches, chill.

The Chapel: tiny, awesome bar tenders, great booze and beer selection, etc. They mix a mean drink there. Standouts include their bloody mary and I had a great pisco sour there.

And there are a ton of other places, but those top my list.

Back to food...
    Be sure to check out:
    Old Granite Street
    775 Gastropub
    5th St Bakehouse
    Pie Face Pizza (really good and open super late)
    Doughboys donuts
    Peg's Glorified Ham N Eggs
    The Stone House (awesome breakfast, hit or miss dinner)
    La Famiglia
    La Vecchia
    LoLou's
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I see we moved on from that little teaser of snow very quickly.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

I can taste hollandaise on my tongue right now, and my mouth is watering.

Peg's is good(ish) but overpriced for Reno, IMHO.

It's funny because I live basically across the street from the Nevada Museum of Art, and most of these places are walking distance. That or I bike past them all the time.

So if hollandaise = squaw and sriracha = alpine, does the merger mean that squawlpine is spicy hollandaise? I hope so, because I've made it and it's delicious.

I think I'm going to start a Reno/N.Lake/Truckee call out thread (I've searched and don't see one), because I've been here two years and have yet to meet anyone from here. At least not here, some people maybe in Utah like Splat, but yea...

I think I'm going to start a Reno/N.Lake/Truckee call out thread (I've searched and don't see one), because I've been here two years and have yet to meet anyone from here. At least not here, some people maybe in Utah like Splat, but yea...
    Dood, we just met up for Splitter's art thingie just down the street from you, and I'm at Ceol all the time... If you're not getting the call outs here, I don't know that a separate thread will help. Not to stop you, just saying.

Riding bikes this weekend. Should I send you a PM?

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Yo, Backpack!

I have to call Epic Fail on your part! You only have yourself to blame for being out here for 2 years and not connecting with anybody.

I'm just a part-timer (up in the mountains 6 months a year) and without fail I manage to hook-up with RF, Corky, Arty50, Jim S., JLA415, Gone2Alpine, Splat, and other locals with quite a bit of frequency and usually without any prompting (it's almost impossible not to run into somebody skiing at AM or Squaw or SB or even NS). This thread will be teeming with call-outs once the season really kicks into high gear, both with Reno/Truckee/N. Lake locals and Yay Area Weekend Warriors (Sinecure, TheFrush, The Dad, Storm Day, Turx, Cinders, and way too many other's to shout out/recall off the top of my dome).

My suggestion to you, in lieu of another thread, is to just set-up a Reno based meet/greet (kinda like what Splitter did here with his photog exhibit, which drew the likes of Corky, RF, SnowHot, and Flexon Phil outta their abodes and into downtown Reno for an evening). Once you do that then you just swap #'s with the folks you gel with and go from there. Honestly, most of my connecting with folks like RF, Corky, JLA, G2A, etc. comes from us calling one another, FBing, or texting rather than barking out here (i.e. we met through here, swapped numbers and then when something local comes up we just holler via alternate methods). If it's something we think the general multitude will be into, then we post it here (i.e. TGR/MPS premiere, Splitter's photog exhibit, mass gathering at the Chamois, etc).

Again, it's up to you (that would just mean another thread I would have to keep up on and cross-post in!), but I'd vote for you hosting a Reno/N.Lake Tahoe meet/greet BBQ pre-season shindig in the next couple of weeks...or pick a watering hole and organize a shindig (though, I will have to say, you might find it hard to drag N. Lakers down to Reno for the evening and vice/versa).

PS
    You'll also find that some folks just don't want to hang out outside the forums (yes, it happens). There are quite a number of TGR faithful that aren't really into meeting up outside of schussing on the hill or exchanging witty reparte here in Cyberland, which is fine. That's why I usually like to ski with someone first and then go from there. If you connect on the slopes then chances are you'll connect for apres and other activities. That said, I sure as sh!t ain't giving my number to Raccoon Face...why the f@#k would I want to hang out with him on a regular basis?

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonFace View Post
    Dood, we just met up for Splitter's art thingie just down the street from you, and I'm at Ceol all the time... If you're not getting the call outs here, I don't know that a separate thread will help. Not to stop you, just saying.

Riding bikes this weekend. Should I send you a PM?

okbye
    I just don't check the board often enough, I guess. Such is the life of an overworked grad student. That and I don't actually know who's here to begin with so I don't know what names to key in on.

I'd go biking but my bike is a POS and is really only fit to commute to UNR and ride around downtown. Grad students don't usually have money for new toys, unfortunately, and I'm really trying to save up for new skis (my current pair is the original NKO from 2002ish). Yea, whine whine whine. I know.

Anybody else buy the stupid cheap triple threat pass through pinchit? Pulled the trigger before it sold out, hoping it's legit...

Peg's is good(ish) but overpriced for Reno, IMHO.

It's funny because I live basically across the street from the Nevada Museum of Art, and most of these places are walking distance. That or I bike past them all the time.
    Well, duh. Everything's overpriced compared to the Gold N Silver.

Speaking of overpriced, how about SqueezeIn. I saw the prices on the menu one day and said no thanks. You can get a damn good omlette for 1/2 to 2/3rds of that price anywhere else in town.

Two months ago, I used to live just down the block from you. One of the things I miss is being able to walk almost everywhere...especially when drunk.

Ok, back on topic. Is there any snow up high still or is all pretty much gone?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

When I left Truckee for SF on Monday there was still snow up on high, but it was raining like a mofo, so I am curious as to how the pelting affected what was still lurking.

I'mma bet that hitting up Mt. Lola or anything on Carson Pass (i.e. Roundtop, The Nipple, Forestdale Divide) would still be on point for some post 2010/2011 season turns/pre-2011/2012 turns...

3) Bourdain doesn't like anything that is his schtick. Because he said so is not support to any argument. I drink milk and I don't have to suck it out of a cow's tit!
    I enjoy his show, but he smokes like a chimney. How good can his taste buds function at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Yo, Backpack!

I have to call Epic Fail on your part! You only have yourself to blame for being out here for 2 years and not connecting with anybody.

I know, I know. In my defense I was in a relationship for those two years that involved me commuting from Davis to Reno and sleeping in my office/car on this end, so I didn't really "live" in Reno. Just saying. And I am basically just looking for people to ski with, sorry if it seemed otherwise. I know enough people around town, but most of them don't really ski, or they're grad students who are only into xc stuff and all anti-development blahblahblah.

Anyway, I'll be looking around at Squaw/Alpine for any of the various stickers and on here for any gatherings. Back to skiing / food stuff...

El Paisano over on Oddie is pretty good for papusas and the rest of the huge menu has been good so far.

Taste of India down on Moana is pretty tasty too, and the lunch buffet is CHEAP.

I've heard that 4th St. Bistro is excellent (but expensive!)... I've delivered eggs to them from a local farm north of Reno I was farmsitting, and it seems like they really do use as much local stuff as possible.

Lincoln Lounge is... cool on weeknights when it isn't mobbed with hipsterish types. I enjoyed when we had post-colloquium biology department gatherings here. It's also non-smoking, which is nice.

I guess it was just food stuff.

Forgot to mention, in regards to food, a week ago Monday me'n Vets were at the Log Cabin in KB. Noticed a rather prominent sticker on the front door extolling the fact that the restaurant had been featured on Rachel Ray. It was standing room only, too (on a Monday!).

Then on Friday I found myself at Squeeze In in Truckee. I agree with Arty that it is a bit overpriced ($9 for pancakes!?!?!). Noticed that they had a rather prominent sticker on their door stating "As featured in Bobby Flay's Throwdown". I went home, Googled it and found the Throwdown. Naturally BF went head-to-head with an omelette. Guess what? He smoked Squeeze In...that's gotta hurt (plus they had the restaurant, the one in Reno, packed with local supporters/regulars).

My dining out in Reno has been somewhat limited. I've hit the Silver Peak Brewery a few times, hit up this tapas joint that the folks who own Ceols own (super cute waitress was a super cool bonus when I was there last summer) and have been to a hole-in-the-wall Italian place (Corky would know the name), and have been to Great Basin Brewery, as well. Have also done the all-you-can-eat-lobster at Boomtown, which is kind of worth the price of admission as long as you are on the receiving end of some lobsters freshly pulled out of the steamer...

YIPEE! I finally found the thingie for my phone!

A bunch of posts and pics coming.

This post: Splitters Art Show
    Featuring: FlexonPhil, SnowHot, Corky, and that chick Corky brought... I think Splitter's wife and Mom are in the back of one of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00075-20110929-2006.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	101377

Name:	IMG00076-20110929-2014.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	101378

Name:	IMG00077-20110929-2048.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	101379

okbye

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

5am sesh with Corky skiing Mt Rose the resort. If I remember correctly I hit everything there was to hit that was not snow. Corky didn't know there was anything but snow. Lucky me.

11/08/10

Name:	IMG00218-20101108-0738.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	101380

Name:	IMG00217-20101108-0717.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	362.4 KB 
ID:	101381

Name:	IMG00216-20101108-0704.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	504.0 KB 
ID:	101382

okbye

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

while we are talking about breakfast in Reno,

y'all going to Peg's and Squeeze Inn are doing it wrong.

Corned Beef Hash, well, the goods is in Carson at the Cracker Box. But, some solid greasy spoon action is at Jack's in Sparks on Victorian.

A little more expensive, but a whole lot of good, is the chicken fried steak (or anything with gravy) at PJ's on Wells.

Skiing in June with Corky. Hiking after work.

Name:	IMG00491-20110606-1914.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	101384

Name:	IMG00488-20110606-1913.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	101392

Name:	IMG00493-20110606-1914.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	101391

Name:	IMG00474-20110606-1831.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	393.8 KB 
ID:	101390

Name:	IMG00498-20110606-2011.jpg 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	101389

Name:	IMG00476-20110606-1840.jpg 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	101388

Name:	IMG00484-20110606-1855.jpg 
Size:	456.5 KB 
ID:	101387

Name:	IMG00499-20110606-2011.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	101386

Name:	IMG00478-20110606-1848.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	101385

Name:	IMG00497-20110606-1935.jpg 
Size:	584.3 KB 
ID:	101393

Well, most of them loaded...

okbye
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 10-13-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Maggot Micro-Summit v 2.0 a couple years back at Rose.

Good day! The group grew as the day went on, fun to be there. Thanks to all who showed up!

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	383.9 KB 
ID:	101396

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	101404

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	101403

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	101402

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	101401

Name:	IMG_1417.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	101400

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	489.8 KB 
ID:	101399

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	536.7 KB 
ID:	101398

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	101397

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	367.4 KB 
ID:	101405

okbye

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

I'm a fan of Super Burrito (I80@McCarran in Sparks)

Hi All! long time no post - knee surgery, moved, blah blah blah.

Anyway to copmletely interject my $.02, I'm wondering how many more "contest" style food shows the world can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    ..."As featured in Bobby Flay's Throwdown"...
    I am pumped shows like that put money in the Truckee economy though.

Champagne Sunday brunch at Sterlings. Filets, pork chops, crab legs, omelettes, ... it's making me hungry just thinking about it!
    Last edited by Marhankins; 10-13-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Can't spell

^^^ I may be in touch if you wanna go to this this Sunday...

SQUALPINE ROLE CALL!!!

I am having issues with Rose right now, nothing big, but I have the ability to buy a pass to SquAlpine because Rose has not charged me yet. I can't decide what to do. So...

Who skis at these places a bunch, because if I don't get the Rose pass I want to make sure I will have some peeps to ski with. I will be trying to ski mid week half days Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and weekends (Sundays until March). Anyone going to be around then?

I guess what I'm asking is what is your ski schedule?

Thank you for your time,
    okbye

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

To go as often as possible...but prolly less than you...
    Sat - yup, Sun - prolly, Weds - prolly, Tues or Thurs - most prolly.

I thought you were eyeing up some gnarly drops at Sq-whore a coupla seasons ago...this could be the season to hit 'em...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I teach Monday and Tuesday, but every other day is fair game. I'm planning to take the free casino-squaw bus occasionally... seems like a reasonable deal if you're willing to be up there all day.

SQUALPINE ROLE CALL!!!

I am having issues with Rose right now, nothing big, but I have the ability to buy a pass to SquAlpine because Rose has not charged me yet. I can't decide what to do. So...

Who skis at these places a bunch, because if I don't get the Rose pass I want to make sure I will have some peeps to ski with. I will be trying to ski mid week half days Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and weekends (Sundays until March). Anyone going to be around then?

Thank you for your time,
    okbye
    I have a Gnarthstar pass, which gets me access to the Heav, as well as most of Summit County (non-Tahoe, I know, but just sayin') and I have a Alpaw pass. I will def be skiing mid-week, but not sure which days yet (will know early November what my schedule is for work and training). I'll ski with you. But I won't supp with you if Hollandaise is involved.

I may also plunk down on the Boreal night pass. $129 and it's good 7 days a week from 3pm - 9pm...always good for some ice schralping, groomer steezness, and terrain park hoo-haa (plus on powder days there's always plenty of fresh to be had given that most folks spend their time in the park).

SQUALPINE ROLE CALL!!!

Thank you for your time,
    okbye
    Passes at SqualPineWoodWood and Rose and Boreal this year. My schedule is Boreal and Rose til Alpine gets going for the season. Then mostly Alpine with some Rose chutes days in the mix. And as spring rolls around...may have to do some Squaw days too. Need to also head south and hit K-Wood with Vets and head further south for Mammoth with JLA415 in June. It's complicated.

But in a nutshell...every non-school day from Halloween through June...mostly at Alpine.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com