Page 12 of 181 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowHot View Post
    Dookey, I'm not quite healed to ski, but I could most definitely do crepes!
    What about EXTREEMMMMEEEE!!!! crepes?
    not counting days 2016-17

Not enough here from last weeks gift from Mom.

My run Friday wasn't heart pounding steep or dangerous, but certainly will provide endorphin laced memories until the next storm.

Let it Snow!

It's been raining pretty good down here in Sac this morning...
    I can't remember...

rain to 10,000+ is the call for the day.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    FYI, while the Donner Kitchen is indeed closed, it re-opened in late July as The Old Highway 40 Grill; new interior, new owners, new menu. Just had b-fast there this morning with the 'rents and the Eggs Benedict Crepes were pretty damn bueno (not being into Hollendaise sauce after reading Kitchen Confidential years ago, I got mine sans sauce, so I guess it wasn't really Crepes Benedict, but still...)
    I wonder... Firesign has some tasty crepes with hollandaise sauce (which I am not afraid of, thanks)... did they buy DLK?

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Just a few food suggetions:

Reno

Coffee -- The Hub. Best coffee in Reno, period. Yes, it is in a converted garage and there's only street parking.

Food --
    Vietnamese: Pho 777 is the classic, but Pho Country 2 is actually a bit tastier. Golden Flower, however, is open until 3am 7 days a week now. Hopefully they'll forget my little incident at 1am a few weeks ago...

Rubicon Deli: Tasty tasty sandwiches, friendly if gruff laidies behind the counter most days. Ample street parking on California.

Sup: Yes, it's a dumb name, but the soup really is worth finding a parking spot. Also note that Google still has their old address, which is just down the street. My link is to the current location.

Imperial: Only go there on 1/2 price burger night, get the tater tots, not the fries.

Chocolate Bar: if you like girly drinks that taste like dessert, or you want chocolatey desserts, or just to make ladyfriends happy, this is not a bad place to go. Bonus points for playing old sci-fi movies on the flat screens in an otherwise reno-trendy looking facility.

Truckee

Coffee -- I have to put a plug in here for Tuff Beanz. Mick the owner is awesome, he only works a couple days a week but it's worth it to see him tell the bay area society on their cell phones who try to order that he'll take their orders once they finish their conversations, not via mouthed instructions.

North Lake Tahoe

Firesign Cafe: Best breakfast in Reno/Tahoe. Yes, I am biased as this place was on the way back to the field house after checking traps from 4-11am, but it really is the best deal on brunchy food I've had in the area. LONG ASS WAIT at prime time on weekends, though.

Also, Alpine visitors note: I helped make all the "distressed" wooden frames in the base lodge area that are hung all over with various signs in them.
    a few additions from me:

I live in truckee so frequent these establishments and give them the "freshies seal of approval"

Coffee: hands down best coffee in truckee right now is @ Coffeebar: http://www.coffeebartruckee.com/

They are on Jibboom, have wicked good coffee/espresso and tasty food and baked goods. Great place to chill and really great when warm out as their patio rules. Plus they let Jake (my 110lb lab) kick-it and hook him up with treats.

Taco Station: new place on corner of Donner Pass and Northwoods (across from the HS). Good eats.

Tacos Jalisco: old school and authentic, cheap and delicious.

Bills Rotissierie: http://www.billsrotisserie.com/2401.html

Bill rocks the tri-tip and whole chickens on the rotissierie and servers it up as a plate, or in burritos. good stuff.

Moodys: best food in town IMHO, a little more upscale, good scene, check it out.

Cottonwood: my favorite bar and good for grabbing a great burger and legendary cesear salad @ the bar. The restaurant IMO is a little over-priced, but you cant beat the atmosphere. Sit at the bar and Steve, Chris and Ryan will take care of ya.

Blue Coyote: good sports bar with decent food.

Burger Me: wicked good burgers (fresh non-hormon fed beef, etc) @ the roundabout heading into Truckee.

Full Belly Deli: best sandos in Tahoe hands-down. Really good breakfast sandos and burritos as well. http://www.fullbellydelitruckee.com/

Best Pies: really good east coast thin crust pies. they sell slices too (until 2am/late on weekends) and good people running it. IMO the best pie in Truckee and right downtown. http://www.bestpiesco.com/

Chammy: nothing more needs to be said that hasn't already been said. old, crowded, great stoke, etc. get the Bud Pass if you frequent Squaw and the Chammy apres a lot.
    Last edited by freshies; 10-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.

how can i take you seriously if i don't know where you stand on hollandaise???

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    how can i take you seriously if i don't know where you stand on hollandaise???
    hollandaise = no bueno

There had better be an AWESOME explanation for this disrespect of hollandaise sauce, because, frankly, if hollandaise came in a sports bottle I would drink it when I go to the gym.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Can we get a poll option on Hollandaise sauce?

Hollandaise Sauce = Squaw Valley
    Siriacha Sauce = Alpine Meadows
    Soy Sauce = Boreal
    Ketchup = Donner Ski Ranch
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

[IMG]http://www.tgrmedia.com/i.ashx?
    w=800&h=0&crop=false&i=http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/75233/photos/PHOTO_15215680_75233_7435243_ap_730X550.jpg[/IMG]

woot woot!
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowHot View Post
    Dookey, I'm not quite healed to ski, but I could most definitely do crepes!

Late to the party, thx to whoever put the track up at the wood. This was on 10/6

that would have been gimpy

page 2, seriously?

before

and after the snow

Wow, Splitter!
    Sometimes you have to let your bad self ski...

Last bit on Hollandaise and why I don't eat it (aside from the fact that it tastes horrible): http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000...tures.weekend1

In case you don't wanna read the whole article (but you should), Anthony Bourdain's take on Hollandaise: "How about hollandaise sauce? Not for me. Bacteria love hollandaise. And nobody I know has ever made hollandaise to order..." Again, read the whole article as it has some solid, insider advice on what to avoid when you eat out (I trust this dude, even though he hates on us vegetarians something fierce).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Last bit on Hollandaise and why I don't eat it (aside from the fact that it tastes horrible): http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000...tures.weekend1

In case you don't wanna read the whole article (but you should), Anthony Bourdain's take on Hollandaise: "How about hollandaise sauce? Not for me. Bacteria love hollandaise. And nobody I know has ever made hollandaise to order..." Again, read the whole article as it has some solid, insider advice on what to avoid when you eat out (I trust this dude, even though he hates on us vegetarians something fierce).
    This does not satisfy me. As punishment you are not allowed to ski until May.

okbye

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

I think Hollandaise is delicious - sometimes - but yeah, I definitely have my concerns about it or more specifically where I'll order it.

Splitter: great pic!

Crispy Roasted Snapper is on tonight's menu, now.
    Good link.

Let it Snow again, Soon!

Hollandaise is like snow. Best when made fresh to order.

Leaving friday for montana and oregon for 2 weeks. Pretty sure it will dump at some point without me!

Went to Moody's on Saturday and it was okay. The ahi app was muy bueno. The roasted beet salad was a little skimpy (the beets had been chopped and cubed really, really small...I tend to prefer nice, big slices of different beets--yellow, orange, red, etc.) My main entree, the swordfish (and yes, I spaced out and forgot to re-read Bourdain's warning on swordfish prior, but sadly, being a pescetarian has its limitations and that was the only thing on the menu other than mix-matching sides) was only okay, mostly because the risotto that accompanied it was bland beyond bland. The beer selection was decent and the somelier was really cool to my mom in terms of giving her tastings of wine before she ordered. Only interesting thing is the night we were there the menu was loaded with pork. They obviously love their pork. The atmosphere is cool and I would give it one more try before writing it off, but they need to seriously re-work their beet salad and cop a new risotto recipe. And offer up a few more alternatives to the meat heavy menu.

Earlier in the week Vets and I hit up Java Sushi. We copped the "All you can eat" deal for $25 and it was pretty solid (and that's coming from a San Francisco sushi "snob"). Best treat was the smoked trout nigiri, which the chef informed us he caught and smoked himself. Never had that a sushi joint before. Of all the North Shore sushi spots I've eaten, I'd go back to Java again as it's not over-priced, not pretentious, and the quality was pretty solid.

Also hit up Taco Station on Thursday with JLA415. While he thought the carne asada was nowhere near as good as the ones at Tacos Jalisco, I found the veggie burrito to be a much better deal ($6 and it was humongous) than pretty much any other mexican joint in the area. Still not as clutch as the burritos you get in San Francisco.

PS
    I have a feeling that my distaste for Hollandaise stems from the mayonnaise base...I abhor mayonnaise. Bourdain's breakdown of the bacteria maelstrom and how a good many places never make it to order (if you read Kitchen Confidential, I believe he further elaborates that many a place will batch up Hollandaise on a Monday and it will flit from refrigerator to walk-in to counter and back all week before it's used with regularity for the weekend brunch crowd) only accentuated my distaste for the glop.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

PS
    I have a feeling that my distaste for Hollandaise stems from the mayonnaise base...I abhor mayonnaise. Bourdain's breakdown of the bacteria maelstrom and how a good many places never make it to order (if you read Kitchen Confidential, I believe he further elaborates that many a place will batch up Hollandaise on a Monday and it will flit from refrigerator to walk-in to counter and back all week before it's used with regularity for the weekend brunch crowd) only accentuated my distaste for the glop.
    1) it is not mayonnaise based
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

2) if you think it is bad because it seems unclean you had better not eat out because I am certain that all of the food you get at a resteraunt, made to order or not, is something you would not like to know it's history from the time it hits the table back.

3) Bourdain doesn't like anything that is his schtick. Because he said so is not support to any argument. I drink milk and I don't have to suck it out of a cow's tit!

4) Bacteria is awesome! If you don't like it you had better not eat:
    -soy
    -bananna
    -cabbage
    -yogurt <- I may die if I don't eat this
    -tea
    -ice cream <- you may die if you come between me and this
    -milk
    -cheese
    -bread
    -etc.

5) I make fkn awesome hollandaise!

Try this:
    1 - english muffin split and toasted
    2 - poached eggs
    4-6 - bacon strips
    2 - artichoke hearts warmed in a toaster oven
    - hollandaise

Step 1: Make bacon! You choose how, I like mine crispy but not burnt.
    Setp 2: Toast muffins & artichoke hearts
    Step 3: Hollandaise - 4 chicken abortions (no whites), 1/2 lime fresh squeezed (~1 tbls), 1 stick melted butter, and a fkn blender... None of that arm bending crap here, I gotta eat! Toss all that in and hit a button... Any button. Stop when it looks like hollandaise.
    Step 4: Boil water with salt and white vinegar (vinegar holds the white together), put a metal ladel in the water and allow it to warm. When hot drop an egg into the ladel. Remove egg when the white is firm, but the abortion is still liquid.
    Step 5: Assembly
    1 - place muffins on plate
    2 - place bacon on muffins
    3 - drain and remove eggs and place on bacon
    4 - place artichokes on eggs like little hats
    5 - pour hollandaise over everything until you can't see what you just assembled or you run out of sauce.
    6 - consume with a beverage of your choice.

ET VOILA! Bon petit déjeuner!

okbye

ps you're still grounded until May...

pps Anyone wanna ride bikes this weekend?

ppss I'm done with the hollandaise thing.
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 10-12-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO