Moment Tahoe info?

Has anyone got any time in on the new Moment Tahoe, with the Deathwish style triple camber? I've heard nothing but great things about the Deathwish, but I've already got a 110 underfoot daily driver type ski, so I was thinking if the Tahoe is like a skinny Deathwish, it may be a great no new snow day ski.

Was originally thinking I wanted more of a charger for the no-new snow days, like the ON3P Wren 98, but remembered that I like to dick around, hit jumps, and play some on low snow days too. Thinking the Tahoe may be a good compromise as a hard charging ski that can play too.

Praxis Piste Jib may also be a perfect option, I just don't like the rasta dude topsheet, so I'd probably wait to pick up a pair during the next sale.

Get a pair of wren 102s from last year on sale.

Its better for the type of skiing you mentioned, while the tahoe and wren 98 will be stiffer and less dick-aroundable...

The wren 102 can still charge, but has a fun factor to it not common among charger skis. Like the Line Supernatural Series, but even better.

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    Has anyone got any time in on the new Moment Tahoe, with the Deathwish style triple camber? I've heard nothing but great things about the Deathwish, but I've already got a 110 underfoot daily driver type ski, so I was thinking if the Tahoe is like a skinny Deathwish, it may be a great no new snow day ski.

Was originally thinking I wanted more of a charger for the no-new snow days, like the ON3P Wren 98, but remembered that I like to dick around, hit jumps, and play some on low snow days too. Thinking the Tahoe may be a good compromise as a hard charging ski that can play too.

Praxis Piste Jib may also be a perfect option, I just don't like the rasta dude topsheet, so I'd probably wait to pick up a pair during the next sale.
    Yeah, I bought it, gave it a dozen days, sold it. Nothing wrong with it but didn't enjoy dicking around, as you put it, in bumps and crud with it. I'm on the Blizzard Bonafide in that size and am happy as hell with it.
    FWIW the Moment Jag Shark is one of my all-time faves.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    Yeah, I bought it, gave it a dozen days, sold it. Nothing wrong with it but didn't enjoy dicking around, as you put it, in bumps and crud with it. I'm on the Blizzard Bonafide in that size and am happy as hell with it.
    FWIW the Moment Jag Shark is one of my all-time faves.
    Good info, that's really what I was concerned about.

Aevergreene, I thought the new Wrens shape/flex made it more versatile and playful?

I really enjoyed the Moment Tahoe, not as stiff as a Deathwish, but very fun and lively. I rode them for a skied out day at Brighton and had a blast searching out lips and luge tracks in the trees. I felt locked into turns with the triple camber and didn't have a problem with chatter in junk snow considering what type of ski it is, but I am very lightweight. I rode them the first year they had trip camber and thought there was a good bit of rocker splay and should definitely be sized up, maybe Moment has changed that since.

Wren 102 from last season was kind of bunk imo. Certainly a damp ski that was very accessible and not demanding, but nothing about it made me want to play and I thought the sidecut felt shorter than stated when carved on edge. The pair I rode were very on/off as well when making turns but I chalked that up to a tune issue.

Was originally thinking I wanted more of a charger for the no-new snow days, like the ON3P Wren 98, but remembered that I like to dick around, hit jumps, and play some on low snow days too.
    From our lineup, this would probably be a Kartel 98. The Wren 98 is, IMO, a lot more "fun" than the Wren 102 - more rocker, more playful, actually a bit more stable on anything that isn't ice. It would fit what you are asking for better than the Wren 102. That said, from our line, Kartel 98 is pretty much suited for what you are talking about.

For Moment, hopefully Luke hops in here to speak a bit more, but if you are looking at the Tahoe, I think the PB&J deserve a look. Obviously style dependent, but anytime I see the use of the term "dick around", I immediately think you would be better suited on a more playful ski - aka PB&J or Kartel. You can drive the Tahoe more, but besides that, I think the playfulness of the PB&J is going to be a lot more suited for dicking around and hitting jumps/features/etc when the snow isn't great. They will be plenty stable at speed too. I feel a lot of people undersell how stable some of these "jibby" skis can be at speed.

For what it is worth, if I ran a 2 ski quiver, my everyday ski would be 184cm Billy Goat (so directional driver), where my low snow is a Kartel 106 - something a lot more playful and easy to mess around on, yet still stable at speed.

I just think what you are describing is a lot more enjoyable on a Kartel/PB&J-esc mount (-4 to -5) than a mount like the Wren/Tahoe (-9ish). YMMV.

Aevergreene, I thought the new Wrens shape/flex made it more versatile and playful?
    The new Wren is a lot more "fun" than the old Wren, which will be better for everyone except maybe the 10 guys who bought Wren 112 and are skiing them on hard snow at Loveland (as I know you are all on here...). It's definitely more playful and leans more towards all mountain - where the Wren 102 was sort of a skinny, hard-snow ski stuck in a slightly too wide body. Most people at ON3P ski a Kartel 98 or 106/108 as their hard snow ski, but everyone enjoyed the changes to the Wren 98 so much that it was getting a lot more internal use last winter than the Wren 102 had in years past.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Really appreciate your thoughts iggy. I was actually beginning to lean towards the Kartel 98 or PBJ after hearing the comments above.

FWIW, this would be in a quiver with Jeffrey 110s, which would mean some overlap, but I think I'm ok with that. Maybe I'm actually looking for a slightly skinnier Jeffrey type ski.

Yea, you definitely want the PB&J (Or Kartel 98) over the Tahoe.

Someone said in the thread that the Tahoe is softer than the Deathwish. That definitely not true. The Tahoe has a much stiffer flex profile and more camber. The Tahoe also has a more traditional mount of -9cm where the PB&J is at -5cm from true center. The more progressive mount on the PB&J allows for it to initiate a turn easier and be more playful and pivot-y in the tight spots. The Tahoe has a traditional tail and Triple Camber front rocker, when you engage a turn it wants to stay in the turn like a race ski, not skid out and pivot.

For what its worth, most of the hard charging factory guys that ride Squaw and want an all mountain ski that they can still jib and take a few laps on the park with ski the PB&J. The tip and tail rocker is minimal so you get quite a bit effective edge when rolled over but if you're in between sizes I would size up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info/time guys. You're making it a tough decision, seems like I couldn't go wrong with either ski.

Thanks for the info/time guys. You're making it a tough decision, seems like I couldn't go wrong with either ski.
    They are both fun playful skis that will suit your needs.

The PB&J at 182cm weighs 8.6lbs for the pair where the Kartel 98 at 181cm is 9.1lbs for the pair. So not much difference in weight. While ON3P and Moment use a lot of similar ski "ingredients" the way we interpret them can sometimes be different. Not saying one is better than the other...the Kartel is probably going to be a bit heavier and damper feeling due to its core and composite build making it feel a bit smoother and chargey through crud where the core and composite build in the PB&J is a bit lighter and poppier making it push back a little more out of the turn and off lips. The differences that I am explaining here are not going to be night and day between the skis but I'm just being picky about the specifics. I am sure Scott can shed some light on this as well but I bet he will agree with me.

Let us know if you have any other questions.