long roof box on a Protege5

I'm thinking of buying a Protege5. I want to make sure I can fit a roof box that won't interfere with the hatch but is long enough for 191cm skis. Anybody have any success with this? If so, which roof box?

Thanks

I had a one of those, great car (super fun in the city). Only problem is the faring on the top of the hatchback. It will probably hit the box and therefor not open very far. If you don't need the hatchback (and sometimes even the radio, seriously, look at where the anttena is, not a problem if you're using ipod, phone, satellite) it should be fine. Technically, Thule rates it a "No Fit," because of all that.

Specifically, which box? Any of the long skinny ones will fit long skis.

Oh yeah, and they suck in the snow.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

It will be close, but you may not care if the door doesn't open fully.

I put 191's on my roof without a box and the hatch just hits the tips when I open it fully, it used to worry me but hasn't resulted in scratches to the car or the skis, and the door still opens fully. The store mounted the rear bar as far back as they were comfortable doing and this puts the tips of my skis barely over 70cm from the centre of the rear bar (75cm from the tip to the front of the binding, following the curve of the ski).

As stuckathunter says, they suck in the snow. It's fine if the road is plowed, but I have to put on my chains if there's more than 15cm on the road.

I don't think I've really answered your question, though.

I have one with 225,000 km and I agree that it's a great car. Super fun in the city and on any twisty country road.

I have an old school Thule that I've attached with 4 U-Bolts. I drilled holes into the bottom of the box in such a way that the box is far enough forward to not interfere with the hatch. Works perfectly and will easily take 191's.

The newer boxes with the fancy mounting hardware may not be so accommodating.

Thanks. Think I'm going with a Mazda 3 after all. Can't find a rust free manual P5 with anti lock brakes.

Yeah, rust is definitely an issue with them.

so sounds like problem resolved, but for those who have similar issues:

The Thule ascent 11 has worked well for me with most hatchback issue cars, as has the Atlantis 18. The new Yakima Rocketbox Pro 11 should also work, though I haven't had chance to put in really long skis yet. It is also capable of sitting the farthest forward on a vehicle due to where the hooks are. Hopefully this helps my hatchback brethren

added bonus: if you put the car on a treadmill, it will take off.

And another thing. Driving around the NYC area, especially Westchester with that thing, it was like nobody saw me. I kept getting cut off until I got totaled. Not cool.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.