Thread: Dutch Ovens

Dutch Ovens

Looking at getting a dutch oven for camping/backyard cooking. On amazon there is a large variety of types/sizes/prices and most of it is meaningless to me at this point. The only criteria I've had in the past is that it has an indented lid so you can put coals on top. How much do you spend? Advantages of dome vs indented style lid? What size is "standard"? Specific brands? Any recommendations appreciated!

Can't go wrong with a Lodge - they are inexpensive and good quality. Domed lid is technically better for returning moisture to the food (google around for the science), but if you want to put coals on top get the flat lid. 6qt is a good size, though you can go up or down depending on how many you are cooking for.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Looking at getting a dutch oven for camping/backyard cooking. On amazon there is a large variety of types/sizes/prices and most of it is meaningless to me at this point. The only criteria I've had in the past is that it has an indented lid so you can put coals on top. How much do you spend? Advantages of dome vs indented style lid? What size is "standard"? Specific brands? Any recommendations appreciated!
    A standard depth 12" lodge is what I have used for years. The lid with a lip is important if you are going to use briquettes. Most the briquettes go on top, typically 20 or so on the lid and 9 or 10 underneath. I also have a heavy steel griddle to place it on for camping, etc. I also have a deep 12" that I use occasionally for double decker pizzas, feeding a larger group, or need a second one for a separate dish.

And if you are going to use briquettes, get one of these:
    Name:  briquette chimney.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  6.0 KB

You will also want tongs to grab briquettes, something to lift / rotate lid (I use channel locks), leather gloves, and a comfy chair with beverage of choice.

https://gsioutdoors.com/hard-anodized-dutch-oven.html

used one of these ^^ sea kayaking, its cast aluminium so it's way lighter than cast iron lighter, doesn't rust, and the 10" size will fit thru the hatch of a kayak
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Get the lodge. Get the matching size cast iron pan, so you can throw both in the camping box, the lid fits both. Get a lid lifter.

I have the flat bottom, domed lid. (not the "camp" version with the feet and rimmed lid). I use some foil to make a rim on the lid and I bought the little stand to make it work with coals. It works fine. But I would buy the camp version if I bought it again....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Cause this is the padded room and all.

^^^ Thank you sir Hound. I was thinking that perhaps my definition of a Dutch oven was seriously warped.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Cause this is the padded room and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    ^^^ Thank you sir Hound. I was thinking that perhaps my definition of a Dutch oven was seriously warped.
    I’m just as twisted.
    Thank you for keeping the Tgr snark alive
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Get the lodge. Get the matching size cast iron pan, so you can throw both in the camping box, the lid fits both. Get a lid lifter.

I have the flat bottom, domed lid. (not the "camp" version with the feet and rimmed lid). I use some foil to make a rim on the lid and I bought the little stand to make it work with coals. It works fine. But I would buy the camp version if I bought it again....
    +1 on Lodge, good quality/value

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lodge for the win

In person shopping is probably tough right now but pawn shops usually have a camping section with cool old DOs for cheap. Can’t go wrong with Lodge. If cooking with coal, get a lipped lid and feet on the bottom. Anodized AL is good if you want to clean with soap or worried about weight when traveling. Also good if you’re not into seasoning iron. Channel lock pliers are more versatile than a lid lifter. A cheap pair of welding gloves is your best option for gloves and hot pads in one.

Edit...12” standard is the classic size most recipes will apply to. 6 quarts. There’s a deeper version but not that popular. If you build a quiver, a 10” nests in a 12” and between those two sizes, you can cook for 10+ easily. The 14” is always tempting but really unnecessary unless you’re cooking for a bunch. I personally have an old cast lodge 12” and a GSI 10 and 12” ano AL for outdoor cooking. The ALs go on raft trips and sometimes the Lodge for bigger groups. I prefer cast iron if weight isn’t an issue so the cast goes on car camp trips too. We use 10 and 12” enameled Le Creuset DOs in our home kitchen.

Dutch cooking is rad.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 04-21-2020 at 09:37 PM.

https://www.campmaid.com/products/3-piece-combo

I bought that kit when it was about $60, I’d still pay the price they want now.

You just have to be more careful with heat levels and the aluminum dutch ovens in my opinion. A few years ago we did a group camp out. I took my Griswold dutch oven for cooking up chicken and rice (with a few cans of creamed soup, water and some bullion etc.), over the camp fire/coals. Another person also brought their aluminum dutch oven to cook up the 2nd pot of same. My cast iron cooked up just right, the Aluminum got too hot on the same fire and had burned rice on the bottom. So probably needed to not set the aluminum pot directly on the coals and either hang it over them a bit higher, or adjust the heat level or just cook the aluminum much shorter time (in which case I do not think the chicken would have been cooked through...)

I'm thinking you don't need to put the anodized aluminium on the fire just put the coals on top

I was on a river trip when a guy cooked a realy nice chocolate cake with just coals on the lid

they are lighter than iron and they don't rust which could be more of an issue if you were spending a bunch of time on salt water
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We cut the coal count by half or more on the bottom when cooking with AL.

I looked at the Campmaid ovens for the heck of it and got a FB ad with a 10% code FB10. Went through the cart and it worked for me this AM. Didn't go through with the order as I don't have a need for a DO.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime