Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I have my 188s mounted something like +2 of the line; they're almost centermounted. I love them there. They're super quick, and they charge despite the almost complete lack of cambered ski in front of my toe. I think the stiffness makes up for the heavy rocker. Almost all of my skis are mounted forward because it makes them stompier and more playful. I have no problem absolutely laying down arcs on these but I am the best skier on the mountain, so take that with a grain of salt. Very playful and chargy at the same time. So, overall, I think these skis benefit from a forward mount even if you are an oldschool guy.

Bump.

Anyone else have a review or thoughts to add to this thread?

Bump. Do the PB&Js still hold up to newer skis on the market for a daily driver?

I have the 2012 Obsethed 189s for deep days.

Yup, my 1012 182 PB&J are still my daily driver. I haven't tried anything newer for this purpose, though, the basic mustache rocker has been refined heavily since 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Yup, my 1012 182 PB&J are still my daily driver. I haven't tried anything newer for this purpose, though, the basic mustache rocker has been refined heavily since 2012.
    The PB&J camber type has not been changed in over 5 years. Its the same camber that existed on the PB&J and Bibby since pretty much day one of those skis.

Materials and construction tweaks have been upgraded and refined heavily since then though.

2013 pb&j still my daily driver though I sometimes wonder if I would have preferred the 188 length. 185 would have been perfect had they made it . So much rocker that there is not a lot of ski under you when tucking or on cat tracks. So pivoty and quick in all conditions. Super fun ski and also serviceable in deep snow if caught off guard with an 8 inch dump when the ski report only listed 3.

Difference between old school and last years

Im stuck in the neverending loop of quiver-anxiety. The only constant in the quiver are my classic 190 Bibby Pros from 2012. I have tried different wider skis but I always go back to the old and trusted Bibbys. What really does it for me is the total predictability and stable ride. The stiff construction paired with a very playful shape.

I have been looking for the perfect complement for these for a few years now because, lets face it, a 190cm 118 waisted ski is a big ski. And since most of my skiing takes place on groomers and in swedish tight trees. When there is some softer snow, the Bibbys will do the job perfectly. So, at first glance, the PB&J should be perfect to complement the much bigger Bibby. The problem is that I would like the complement so be able to tour, at least a little bit. So first, I tried Navis Freebird. A great ski but way to soft for my taste. I know have the Enforcer 93s (got a bit tricked since the wife has the Santa Ana 93s and they are fairly light. So i figured that the Enforcers would be the same. Oh, no, they are just as heavy as the wider, and longer, PB&J)

So the question now is, should I try and find an old pair of PB&Js to get the classic feeling and then maybe get a pair of proper touring skis for the rare occasions when I actually do go for longer tours? Or could maybe the new PB&Js do it all? It has lost a lot of weight, but does that mean that it also lost the soul? Anyone tried both versions and could weigh in?

I have not tried the new lighter version but I bet it still skis pretty well. The current layup is light, but very damp for it's weight. My wildcat 108s ski super well for their weight.

The new pb&j would be great as a touring ski.

"The current layup", do you mean the previous version of PB&J? At 2,2kg its not really a light ski, is it? Its almost the same as the longer and wider Bibby.

But I agree on the latter though. The new one could be the perfect ski for me but how much of the stability and dampness do I lose when I lose almost 400g?

Quote Originally Posted by Pillard View Post
    "The current layup", do you mean the previous version of PB&J? At 2,2kg its not really a light ski, is it? Its almost the same as the longer and wider Bibby.

But I agree on the latter though. The new one could be the perfect ski for me but how much of the stability and dampness do I lose when I lose almost 400g?
    By current layup I mean the new one that weighs 1800g. I have 190 W108s that weigh 2000g and while they feel light the layup is very damp and not harsh, the ski just feels light on your feet.

I also have a older 188 Pb&j (2016) that weighs 2000g also, which was before the skis got a lot lighter.

That sounds like an awesome mix. The old Bibbys are perfect but they are not light, thats one thing for certain

Have you looked at a Tahoe, same vintage?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Feels like a different type of ski? Although I would love a PB&J in 93mm waist

Quote Originally Posted by Pillard View Post
    Feels like a different type of ski? Although I would love a PB&J in 93mm waist
    ON3P Woodsman 96 sounds like your ski. Not light, but not too heavy for the occasional tour, stiff/damp enough to rally in lots of conditions and still a playful shape. PB&J is probably a good option too, but the giant twin tail can be a pain in the ass for touring/isn't required if you're not skiing and landing switch.

The twintail and touring is a valid point. I checked the Woodsman and found the word ”directional” describing it. Since I tried the Governor (when it was still called the Bibby as well) and found it awful compared ti the ”real” Bibby im a bit allergic to that word. I dont ski switch at all but for me the biggest advantage of the Bibby is the tailshape that makes the ski extremely kind when you happen to get in the backseat but still really stiff so it gets predictable

You can still get a heavy PB&J made new if you ask Moment nice and have cash.

My $.02 - for real boiler plate snow use you want metal and possibly a more traditional tail. However, the PB&J with a heavy core is really fun for all mountain use in even slightly soft snow and works great in the park in all conditions.

Depends what you want to get out of this ski to be honest.