Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    Wow, that was a lot more info than I was expecting. Thanks man.
    I'm leaning rather heavily toward PB&J now. I don't suppose you also got the chance to ski the 182 length as well? Because that would be sweet.
    I haven't skied the 182 PB&J, but with a straight tape pull of about 180.5cm, and since you're 6'4", I can't say that I'd encourage you to downsize. Only thing would be if you plan to hit zipperlines or the park a bunch. If not, then given how and where you like to ski, I'd keep the extra 6 centimeters.

Hey Movement aficionados: Can someone confirm whether the PB&J has carbon stringers in it, or all wood? I've searched, contacted Movement, etc., but no answer from them and both answers from web search. Thanks.

Just a guess but it's probably because the PB&J is from MOMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Hey Movement aficionados: Can someone confirm whether the PB&J has carbon stringers in it, or all wood? I've searched, contacted Movement, etc., but no answer from them and both answers from web search. Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure there are carbon stringers. I believe every ski in the moment line has carbon stringers.

So I broke down and bought a pair which arrived today. Can't wait to get them out on the snow.

I measured the same tip-to-tail as JFE24. Its kinda hard to get a real precise measurement, but it appears to me that Moment drew the line at about 87.5-88cm back from the tail. So pretty close to where JFE24 mentioned mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerYorktown View Post
    Just a guess but it's probably because the PB&J is from MOMENT
    Yeah, thanks, typo, but searched using correct name. Including sending email to Reno, not Switzerland.

Thanks, ego7man. Have a hunch you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by ego7man View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are carbon stringers. I believe every ski in the moment line has carbon stringers.
    The PB&J definitely does have carbon stringers, above and below the core.

And I got confirmation from MOMENT: they run a couple different types of "stringers," depending on the model, but they all do have carbon in them.
    Last edited by JFE24; 09-24-2011 at 05:03 PM.

The PB&J sure looks like the ski I've been looking for. I have the Wailer 112RPs in 190 for my deeper days ski. I loved that ski so much with the way the rocker profile and camber combined to just make it a fantastic ski in so many conditions, but if there's really no fresh snow to be found then I want something just as playful (turn on a dime) with those same qualities, but smaller/narrower.

JFE24 - I know you've had plenty of time on the 112RP. From the looks of the pictures you posted of the PB&J, it sure looks like it has some of the same features of the 112RP. I would appreciate it if you could compare/contrast the 112RP with the PB&J in how they ski. Clearly the PB&J is smaller, but that's what I want for my quiver. I also like the fact that it's supposedly a stiffer ski and doesn't crumble like the S3 does at speed or when things start getting sketchy.
    Last edited by Wild4umlauts; 10-02-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    The PB&J sure looks like the ski I've been looking for. I have the Wailer 112RPs in 190 for my deeper days ski. I loved that ski so much with the way the rocker profile and camber combined to just make it a fantastic ski in so many conditions, but if there's really no fresh snow to be found then I want something just as playful (turn on a dime) with those same qualities, but smaller/narrower.

JFE24 - I know you've had plenty of time on the 112RP. From the looks of the pictures you posted of the PB&J, it sure looks like it has some of the same features of the 112RP. I would appreciate it if you could compare/contrast the 112RP with the PB&J in how they ski. Clearly the PB&J is smaller, but that's what I want for my quiver. I also like the fact that it's supposedly a stiffer ski and doesn't crumble like the S3 does at speed or when things start getting sketchy.
    This is a hard question, in part because the PB&J & 112rp "feel" like pretty different skis. This is a lame way to put it, but the PB&J feels like a narrower Bibby Pro, it doesn't feel like a narrower 112rp. (I know...lame.) What they have most in common is that, to me, they are both very intuitive skis, just sort of do what you want, when you want them to. I could definitely see making a 2 ski quiver out of them, but I feel like I'd need to ski them back to back to really do a fair and accurate compare/contrast.

But one last thing: given that you say that the 112rp is a perfect fit for you, you might consider waiting to buy anything for now. I can't say more than that right now (been sworn to secrecy), you just might want to wait a minute.

If you need to buy before November, then yeah, I could definitely see going with the PB&J, unless you plan to ski steep ice bumps a lot, where the 188s might be a bit of a handful.

You wouldn't have the most diverse 2 ski quiver ever (but 'diverse' doesn't sound like what you're looking for); you'd just have 2 damn good skis.

New website is up and below are the listed weights of the PB&J:

162 = 7.35 lbs
    172 = 7.8 lbs
    182 = 8.5 lbs
    188 = 9.4 lbs

http://www.momentskis.com/shop/product/pb-j/

Any comments on the PB&J compared to Blizzard Bonafide -> 129/98/121, tip & tail rocker, slight camber.

Haven't skied either, but note that the 180 Bone is 4,000 g, two and a half sheets of metal, fairly stiff, light-average weight for a ski of that width, while the PB&J at 3 mm wider and 2 cm longer is only 3855 g. Which is 145 g lighter than the 104 mm 181 cm Prior Husume, a ski designed for the backcountry. So IMO the PB&J is looking like a serious candidate for AT duties in tight places. Not so the Bone, which is more viewed as a crud/chop zoomer, great carver, quick edge to edge but not what you'd call playful. Sound like really different skis.

Like Wild4umlauts, I have the DPS 112RP, which I love. But I am looking for a ski that is better in the crud and harder snow. I was interested in the Bonafides, until I saw the blistergearreview on the Moment PB&J's.

But now JFE24 is saying to wait a bit for something new from Moment. So how much longer do I have to wait?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyMo View Post
    But now JFE24 is saying to wait a bit for something new from Moment.
    He never said it was from Moment...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    He never said it was from Moment...
    True, auvgeek. The new review will post this Thursday. For now, I can also say that, the more emphasis you're placing on chop / crud performance, I think you can proceed with the PB&J. The more emphasis you're placing on hardpack / groomer performance, you still might want to wait till Thursday.

I'm excited. You guys continue to kill it over there at Blister.

With those weights, I kinda want to sell my Hardsides and give the PB&J a shot as my everyday touring ski. (Obviously I'd want to test them first, though.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Here is the big news. DPS has come out with a Wailer 99.
    http://www.dpsskis.com/home

And here is the blistergear review.
    http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ailer-99-184cm

I have the Wailer 112 and I'm looking for a better crud buster. It doesn't look like the Wailer 99 is it, but it'll be a terrific touring ski.

Still trying to decide between the Blizzard Bonafide and the Moment PB&J.

I'm hoping JFE24 can take some time and directly compare the new Wailer 99 to the Moment PB&J. I'm pulling the trigger on something in the next 24 hours (and praying that the Wailer 99 is still available that long).

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    I'm hoping JFE24 can take some time and directly compare the new Wailer 99 to the Moment PB&J. I'm pulling the trigger on something in the next 24 hours (and praying that the Wailer 99 is still available that long).
    Really, since you're trying to decide between the PB&J and the Wailer 99, the best I can do is go back and quote what you've already said: "I have the Wailer 112RPs in 190 for my deeper days ski. I loved that ski so much with the way the rocker profile and camber combined to just make it a fantastic ski in so many conditions, but if there's really no fresh snow to be found then I want something just as playful (turn on a dime) with those same qualities, but smaller/narrower."

Well, the Wailer 99 is exactly what you say you're looking for: a narrower 112RP, that is still playful like the 112RP, but better on hardpack than the 112RP.

And as I've said in this thread: the PB&J is a narrower Bibby Pro, not a narrower 112RP.

I really need to ski the W99 and the PB&J back to back, but really, the ride quality / feel of the MOMENT Bibby and PB&J is very different than the 112 and 99. While the PB&J is not a heavy ski, it "feels" solid and stable on the snow. I don't know yet whether the PB&J is better in crud and chop than the Wailer 99, but that ride quality of the PB&J inclines me to think that it will be. (I'll find out, soon.)

It's clear that some people will (and do) prefer the ride of the Bibby / PB&J, and some prefer the ride of the 112RP / 99. (And frankly, I'm beginning to think it's slightly odd that I like both, despite their differences.) The 112 & 99 are more directional and feel lighter. The Bibbys and PB&Js are an unusual blend of stability and playfulness.

I need to confirm my suspicion is that the tail of the PB&J is a bit stiffer than the 99s. I mention in the PB&J review that, if you get backseat skiing bumps on the PB&J, they will work you. I doubt this will be as true of the 99s, and I love the tails on both the PB&J and the 99s. Forgive the bad analogy, but it's maybe the difference of a very good, strong coffee, vs. a very good, smooth blend.

I'll get more time on the 99s soon, and I'll run them back to back with the PB&Js. But given my limited time on the 99s, it still seems that the safest thing for you to do is go with the ski that you say you're looking for: the narrower 112RP. If you really love the qualities of the 112RP, I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed by the 99. Also, as I mention in the 99 review, the 99 is fairly described as (and rides like) a stiffer, more directional Rossi S3, and it has a higher speed limit than the S3. limit.

And finally, if someone says that they love the Bibby Pro and they're looking for a narrower version, then it's an easy recommendation of the PB&J.

Everyone seems to be really enamoured with the new flip core mold that blizzard is doing with the bonafides. The metal sheets defintely limit them in the "playful" aspect of things, but there going to go wherever you want them to and they're going to want to rip it up.

at least they better, cause i just bought a pair

I'm seriously considering the PB&J for a CO 1 ski quiver, and am debating between the 182 and 188. I'm 5'10" 170lbs, fairly aggressive - like to charge but also like tight trees. This is my first go at a mid-fat, coming from 191 Atomic Beta-Rides (109/70/100). My instincts are to go with the 188, but the PB&J obviously has a lot more surface area than my current outdated boards.

Very informative review by the way - I've been diggin BlisterReview.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    I'm seriously considering the PB&J for a CO 1 ski quiver, and am debating between the 182 and 188. I'm 5'10" 170lbs, fairly aggressive - like to charge but also like tight trees. This is my first go at a mid-fat, coming from 191 Atomic Beta-Rides (109/70/100). My instincts are to go with the 188, but the PB&J obviously has a lot more surface area than my current outdated boards.

Very informative review by the way - I've been diggin BlisterReview.
    Thanks, slcdawg. I'm 5'10" 185 lbs, and the only possible way I'd consider the 182 was if I knew I was going to be ripping bumps all the time on these. For tight trees, no need to save less than 3 inches. I think you'll dig the upgrade.

Posted a seperate thread about this, but I figure this might be a better place for it.

Can anyone compare the old style 105 waist Obsethed to the new PB&J/S3/Scimitar. I have read read reviews of the new skis. Old style Obsethed has tip/tail rocker, similar waist, a little camber underfoot. Can anyone compare them? I am wondering if I should trade in my Obsethed for one of the newer skis or keep it and save cash.

Thanks, JFE24! Appreciate the feedback. This may be a dumb question, but will a 100mm width binding fit on these or do you need to size up to a 115?

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Thanks, JFE24! Appreciate the feedback. This may be a dumb question, but will a 100mm width binding fit on these or do you need to size up to a 115?
    100mm brake is what you want, or bend some 90s, etc., etc.