Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thinking of quitting drinking for a while

Just bored with it and feel like sh*t today.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

How long are we talking here...3 or 4 hours? Probably a good idea.
    The Sheriff is near!

At least until the market closes and I have to get on the f*cking train again.

I just found out that one man cannot drink a bottle of tawny port to his head and expect to feel 100% the next morning. Go figure.

Don't you have keys for the Executive Men's Room?

peruvian brain darts do not agree with me but appreciate the thought

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    Don't you have keys for the Executive Men's Room?

Aaaaaah, those were the days. To bad that shit turns me into a raging egomaniac.

Larry, I have reeeeeeaaallly cut back on the booze over the last 3 weeks, jogging every other day, riding the bike daily, hitting the gym 3 times a week and praying for surf. Only have lost 5 lbs so far (WTF!!!!!!) but I am feeling way better and sleeping a bit better. Try laying off it for awhile, it is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Aaaaaah, those were the days. To bad that shit turns me into a raging egomaniac.
    Shouldn't it have worn off by now?

Spent ten years working in the booze industry...try switching to clear liquors. The dark stuff makes for the headaches. I can barely drink red wine anymore, not more than a couple of glasses, not more than two beers unless draft.

I like a little citrus vodka with grapefruit Italian soda and lots of ice, or your classic G&T. That plus a one hitter around 9:00 after the kids are down, mellow.

I seriously need to quit for a while with the bender I have been on, for the last 12 years.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ski.stealer View Post
    Shouldn't it have worn off by now?
    zing!

Didn't you start a thread like this last year?
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I could quit drinking quite easily... if I also quit working.

This is getting me nowhere - is it happy hour yet?

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Probably. I re-start threads from time to time. Have I started one on weird bathroom behaviour lately? Someone in my office puts up makeshift curtains made of TP over the gaps in the stalls. Like there is a problem we people peeking or something :wtf:

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    You should quit quitting...

I did it for nine months while the wife was pregnant. Never had gone without, and it gave my wife a little support... Wasn't exactly super hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Someone in my office puts up makeshift curtains made of TP over the gaps in the stalls. Like there is a problem we people peeking or something :wtf:
    That needs a special thread... wtf is right!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    You should quit quitting...

I did it for nine months while the wife was pregnant. Never had gone without, and it gave my wife a little support... Wasn't exactly super hard to do.
    Well for OL I can see your point but relationship status often determines how much/often you drink. I'm single so for me it is a social thing. If I'm not out drinking I'm not meeting girls. If I'm not meeting girls in not getting laid. If I'm not getting laid well fuck let's not get into that. It seems the majority of my friends have drank like me, once they got domesticated by a woman in a relationship they mellowed out. At least I hope that is the case.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    It seems the majority of my friends have drank like me, once they got domesticated by a woman in a relationship they mellowed out. At least I hope that is the case.
    That's me. Although both her and I raged pretty hard (mostly together, but separately as well) for the first few years. Now we are for the most part a glass of wine or beer with dinner types. FML
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    That's me. Although both her and I raged pretty hard (mostly together, but separately as well) for the first few years. Now we are for the most part a glass of wine or beer with dinner types. FML
    the HORROR!

Winners never quit.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Probably. I re-start threads from time to time. Have I started one on weird bathroom behaviour lately? Someone in my office puts up makeshift curtains made of TP over the gaps in the stalls. Like there is a problem we people peeking or something :wtf:
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I started my own "health check" spreadsheet marking beer, wine and bourbon intake. Currently averaging 1.7 beers, 1.7 glass wine & 0.47 bourbon per day and I generally feel like shit. I used to run/bike or swim 5 days a week, but now I'm limited to walking the 1.5 miles to/from work and running up 7-14 flights of stairs daily.

I need to cut back, but the beer tastes so good when I get home and the wine tastes so good with dinner and the bourbon is just goooood.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Well for OL I can see your point but relationship status often determines how much/often you drink. I'm single so for me it is a social thing. If I'm not out drinking I'm not meeting girls. If I'm not meeting girls in not getting laid. If I'm not getting laid well fuck let's not get into that. It seems the majority of my friends have drank like me, once they got domesticated by a woman in a relationship they mellowed out. At least I hope that is the case.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

My methods of meeting women revolved around nightclubs and bars, so the idea of going sober just would not have worked. If you are good at meeting women for the one-nighter or short term dating option WITHOUT drinking, that is great, but I never was. When I think back on my single days, starting with college....I can only count a few women that I slept with where alcohol did not have something to do with my meeting them. I actually did date a girl that I met in the library back in college, but our dates involved booze and parties, so I don't think that counts.

I think that is the big barrier to being sober while single, many of us are used to meeting girls in alcohol fueled situations.

I have had a girlfriend for the last 3.5 years. I have definitely cut down on booze a lot. We still go to Vegas a couple of times a year, and we go out to bars/clubs occasionally, but we don't spend as much time there, tending to leave early. In my single days, I always wanted to stay out as late as possible, as that meant a greater number of phone nubmers collected, and a better chance at bringing something home that night. Hooking up is a numbers game, and that takes time.

One of the nice things about having a gf is that far more of my freetime is spent enjoying myself, instead of being hungover. It is particularly important in my situation, since I drive to Mammoth about 3 weekends a month, and ski Mt. Baldy when I don't. In my single days, there was always that conflict, 'do I go ski Mammoth this weekend or look for chicks' and it is nice to have chasing women no longer get in the way of skiing. In the summer, I get more dawn patrol surf sessions, because I have to deal with fewer hangovers. I'm lucky, in that my gf goes to Mammoth with me. For lots of folks having a woman means fewer weekend ski trips.

Obviously cutting down on the booze has some big perks in terms of weekend activities. Having said that, it reallly does come down to relationship status for me: If I break up, I will need to go out again to meet women.

So if you are in relationship, it can be a great idea. It really is nice not waking up hungover. If you can meet women without drinking, then that is another reason to stop. But if you are like me single, and need bars/clubs to meet girls, than it will be tough.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Any of y'all who say that you drink less because you are in a relationship married with kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Any of y'all who say that you drink less because you are in a relationship married with kids?
    they do keep you in check a bit-

^^Yep I'd be a few beers deep right now if I wasn't taking the kids swimming and felt like my wife and kids don't need to see me shitfaced at the dinner table.