Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    If anyone can't find a doctor to do this, feel free to contact me about getting in touch with Patches. He and his wife are on the leading edge of this and some other medical tech and have been traveling a lot to teach other doctors their mad skilz, but I can reach out to them as we have bonded somewhat over my wonderful experience. I also posted Patches' email in the first post on the first thread. If you're flying in, I might be able to help arrange ground transport.

Thanks. A little research to support what those of us who did it already know.

Sorry, I only injure myself out west.
    But based on my experience, you got nothing to lose and everything to gain with stem cells.

My left knee has been bothering me more. I think it has been due to lack of skiing. Last week or so at Mammoth I skied some slushy sun baked powder off the top of 23 and stopped at the bottom to look back at it and felt my knee pop back into the socket, which was very scary. It felt like quite the POP. Sure could use some prp followup but I think Dr. Gelber has fallen into laser face treatments exclusively. Saw an ad on the web for centrifuges and am seriously considering drawing my own blood and doing my own prp injections. Pretty sure I could round up everything I need...

bump for amy

I couldn't think of a better healing therapy for a transplant than stem cells, though I know you'll be on some anti-rejection drugs, etc., so hard to say how they play with or against that. Is Stone doing your transplant?

Wow. Please report back on your progress and keep in mind that I re-tore my meniscus repair going a bit overboard on my mountain bike five months after the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I've got bad osteoarthritis in my left knee and just had stem cell and PRP injections a week ago Thursday. They used both bone marrow and fat for the stem cells. 4 years ago I had surgery for a torn meniscus on this knee and they ended up removing 70% of the meniscus. My knee was the never the same afterwards, and I had to give up telemarking due to pain last year after 30+ years. I'll report back now this goes. My right knee has a torn meniscus and some arthritis - I plan to try to survive this ski season and then treat it with stem cells in the spring. I don't want to have surgery on it after the outcome I experienced on the left one.
    You got 4 months before it really kicks in, WMD. Your story is a lot like mine. Hang it there, it's coming....

Quote Originally Posted by BAKEESTA View Post
    The only reason I am posting is because too many of my ski brozz get hurt, get an mri, and the ortho guy says gotta cut. I torn my ACL, MCL, meniscus in jackson hole last february 14th, 2013. The local ortho surgeon even called me and said I had such a high grade tear I would probably never heal completely without the surgery. He was dead wrong. This stem cell thing worked for me. Hey maybe I would have healed without any stem cell injections, but my injured knee is now better than my good uninjured knee. Everyone knows surgery is a last resort. At least we have an option with the stem cell thing. Also, I am not plugging regenexx but if you look at the research they have published over 800 papers on this stuff. Thats 8x more than anyone else in the world. This post is only to help. If anyone is doubting my authenticity give me a private post and I will give you my email, phone etc and send you my mri before and after. also, the other post asked how they pinpoint the injections. They use a fluoroscope for the ACL. The Dr. sees the bones and injects a die into the acl and than injects the stem cells and looks for the die to be pushed out by the stem cell fluid. The MCL is done with a sonogram on a screen. He can see the needle move into the joint and injects as needed.
    Stay safe and stay healthy all.
    Use of the fluoroscope really helps.
    I had my torn left bicep tendon shot into directly and the improvement was unreal.

Bumping it up so gnarwhale can find it.

Hi Splat,
    Boy was I glad to have come across your posts updating on the stem cell injections you got. I have also tore my acl and had surgery on it. I fell on the day after surgery and I feel like the impact caused me to form some excess scar tissue. The main problem I ha e had however is the chronic quadriceps tendinosis that I have had for the past 5 years. I did the required treatment for it and a recent subsequent MRI showed that there was no more pathology for it. This never seemed right though as I would still feel pain going down stairs and squating. It had improved but the pain would always somehow come back. I figured the real proble. Was patellofemoral pain/ chondromalacia as the mri had shown. I am interested in doing an adipose derived stem cell procedure with pro for both of my knees. I just wanted to know more about the procedure you had done. So you say that you did the prp procedures for the acl post surgical issues, patellar tendinitis and knee arthritis. Did you undergo just one prp/stem injection? It was adipose derived stem cells too right? I heard that bone marrow derived stem cells are the beat for regenerative purposes. The issue is that the doctor that I am planning to get it done by, in Toronto, where I am located only used adipose derived stem cells. My last inquiry is what percentage would you give your recovered knee from the stem cell treatment you received?

I can tell you sped read the thread. one inject, stem cells from fatty tissue around belly button lipo'd out. followup prp x3.
    65% recovery. I was on my way to a replacement.
    Do it. It goes everywhere and helps everything.
    I want more stem cells like a junkie craves oreos.

Glad it is working for you! I am interviewing hundreds of doctors for an HMO's website and one of the orthopedists was talking about this procedure. I wasn't sure whether it was hype or not but it seems like it might be a good solution for my knee too, I mangled the bottom of my right femur seven years ago. There was nothing to pin or screw together as there were so many tiny bits of bone. It took a lengthy period for those miniscule bits to become one again. I was warned that the contour at the bottom of the femur had a different profile, it would grind away and require replacement sooner than it would had I not inadvertently reshaped the bone. I have been dreading what I thought was the inevitable surgery, in part because the replacement would likely last until I was pretty damned old at which time the replacement would need to be replaced, uggh.

20 year life on those replacements - if you get a good one and if your legs are same length afterwards.
    Get the stem cell injections. Can't recommend it enough.

Is there a network of Drs doing stem cell injections?

Feels like I am a candidate for the procedure but finding a local is proving to be difficult.

After additional searchy I found this

http://www.getprolo.com/
    Last edited by scottyb; 04-08-2015 at 07:39 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Getting an ACL revised after getting it done 20 years ago, gonna get a stem cell treatment mixed in with the procedure. Will have my other more fucked knee shot also while in the OR.

Had PRP in both last year and that was way better then synvisc

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Is there a network of Drs doing stem cell injections?

Feels like I am a candidate for the procedure but finding a local is proving to be difficult.

After additional searchy I found this

http://www.getprolo.com/
    I've had amazing results with prolo, scotty. It's all in the formula they use.
    If it doesn't start working after 2-3 treatments, it's because they're not doing it right.

Got the stem/prp blend in my surgery today. Doc marinated the new graft before it went in

That's absolutely so cool. Can't wait to hear how you heal. My magic day was like 110 days in. That's when my knee felt some bionic limb from a Marvel comics movie. For like a couple days there, I was Knee Man. My freakin knee felt 20 times stronger than my entire body has ever felt. It was trippy. Then that ultra feeling kinda faded away with time.

PRP

I'm thinking of doing PRP as well. How long did you have to wait until you could resume full activity? Mine is on my distal biceps and since it's the summer, I'm not wanting to stay off the cliffs too long. Maybe I should just climb on it through the summer and have it done in the winter months. :/

Bump.

Still skiing without brace. Hurts sometimes. Like in thick mush.

i have an appointment with an nd who does the prp and prolotherapy. i'm not covered for anything but traditional acupuncture but at least i can get his opinion. i'm not covered for stem cell or hgh injections either but are any of them the sort of thing that can buy some time before a knee replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i have an appointment with an nd who does the prp and prolotherapy. i'm not covered for anything but traditional acupuncture but at least i can get his opinion. i'm not covered for stem cell or hgh injections either but are any of them the sort of thing that can buy some time before a knee replacement?
    I'd honestly say I'm an example of stem cells saving me from a knee replacement.

This thread started as a diary of my stem cell journey from the day I got the injections. It's about 5 years old now, I think. I was injured in 2008 or 2009.

i've read the thread and commented before but not recently. i will again but my ignorant assumption is that once the joint is compromised past a certain point stem cells, etc., don't apply.

There's other skiers who have had nothing left to work with, so they thought, and went ahead with the stem cells and had great improvement. My knee was a workers comp injury. Everything is free. WC owns it forever. I consciously chose to stop doing surgeries and wait one to two years to do the stem cells, almost wearing out my right hip from gimping, but I'm damn glad I made that choice.

Guess I haven't posted in a while. Reading this thread is what convinced me to do the stem cell therapy.
    I had a couple of absesses on the femur head and had a hard time walking up and down stairs. I figured TKR is non reversible so I wanted to exhaust all possibilities before I went that route.
    It's been over two years and I consider it a success. Stairs, no problem. I skied over 90 days last year and am over 50 so far this year. Have reservations for Park City at the end of this month. Not bad for an old fart from the flatlands with used to be worn out knees.