Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Got the stem/prp blend in my surgery today. Doc marinated the new graft before it went in

That's absolutely so cool. Can't wait to hear how you heal. My magic day was like 110 days in. That's when my knee felt some bionic limb from a Marvel comics movie. For like a couple days there, I was Knee Man. My freakin knee felt 20 times stronger than my entire body has ever felt. It was trippy. Then that ultra feeling kinda faded away with time.

PRP

I'm thinking of doing PRP as well. How long did you have to wait until you could resume full activity? Mine is on my distal biceps and since it's the summer, I'm not wanting to stay off the cliffs too long. Maybe I should just climb on it through the summer and have it done in the winter months. :/

Bump.

Still skiing without brace. Hurts sometimes. Like in thick mush.

i have an appointment with an nd who does the prp and prolotherapy. i'm not covered for anything but traditional acupuncture but at least i can get his opinion. i'm not covered for stem cell or hgh injections either but are any of them the sort of thing that can buy some time before a knee replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i have an appointment with an nd who does the prp and prolotherapy. i'm not covered for anything but traditional acupuncture but at least i can get his opinion. i'm not covered for stem cell or hgh injections either but are any of them the sort of thing that can buy some time before a knee replacement?
    I'd honestly say I'm an example of stem cells saving me from a knee replacement.

This thread started as a diary of my stem cell journey from the day I got the injections. It's about 5 years old now, I think. I was injured in 2008 or 2009.

i've read the thread and commented before but not recently. i will again but my ignorant assumption is that once the joint is compromised past a certain point stem cells, etc., don't apply.

There's other skiers who have had nothing left to work with, so they thought, and went ahead with the stem cells and had great improvement. My knee was a workers comp injury. Everything is free. WC owns it forever. I consciously chose to stop doing surgeries and wait one to two years to do the stem cells, almost wearing out my right hip from gimping, but I'm damn glad I made that choice.

Guess I haven't posted in a while. Reading this thread is what convinced me to do the stem cell therapy.
    I had a couple of absesses on the femur head and had a hard time walking up and down stairs. I figured TKR is non reversible so I wanted to exhaust all possibilities before I went that route.
    It's been over two years and I consider it a success. Stairs, no problem. I skied over 90 days last year and am over 50 so far this year. Have reservations for Park City at the end of this month. Not bad for an old fart from the flatlands with used to be worn out knees.

I consider my stem cell treatments a success as well. My knee is not perfect but I can actually ski on it (as opposed to just surviving in the past). It took a good 6 months to feel a lot of improvement but it is there now.

no chance of stem cells or hgh for me, but maybe a series of prolozone injections. he's trying to help me out.

apologies for not yet rereading the thread. does anybody know anything about regenexx?

Yes, had, seems to work
    some adventures around the world:

sacredmountains.blogspot.com

getting in the que for my knee
    You are the mission Bob.

Had stem cell/PRP cocktail during ACL repair last May with part of the mix going into my other knee that has been repaired twice and is generally unhappy.

ACL recovery went great, new graft is bomber. Other knee didn't really change much, still generally stiff and cranky. That one was first repaired in '83 so it's been through the mill.

Jury out for me, the ACL repair was a revision and I have stability again which is awesome but hard to quantify any other benefits.

I got my appointment and wuz gonna have a Pure PRP procedure but thinking I should pony up for the SC.
    You are the mission Bob.

Bump PRP dun in right knee, minimal pain a swelling so far.
    You are the mission Bob.

Yeah, buddy!

The Doc was super professional and nice, he is also skier and kayaker. Cut me a break on the cost as well. Only minor stiffness 5 days later. The nice thing about PRP is it triggers the bodies natural response with stem cells. Not quite as good as direct injection with stem cells but also not as expensive.

With my lower level of damage and little pain I was a good candidate for PRP. The process is pretty interesting and went really well. I even drove myself home to condo @ Pheim 2 hours later. All in all time will tell but so far its been really low impact and I plan to go back to work on Monday.
    You are the mission Bob.

Did a Mtn bike ride 11 days after knee PRP. Feels ok.

Trying not to over do it. I need to get back into shape
    You are the mission Bob.