Monoski/sitski movie appearances.

Does anyone know of any dvds or online films that have extended adaptive skiing in them? I'm after stuff that shows monoskiiers (or dualskis) out on mountains. I've been trawling youtube and can find old X-games monoskier-cross events, some short clips of guys in parks, and some instructional stuff, but I'm after as much as I can get of guys out on the mountains making big descents or in the parks pulling big moves. I'm one of those people who learn a lot by watching others, but I'm not finding a lot of stuff out there for disabled skiiers...

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris,
    We are just about to release a film called 'The Freedom Chair' featuring monoskier, Josh Dueck. It'll be premiering at the IF3 and then will be running the film festival circuit. A short version will also be coming up later this fall as an episode of Salomon Freeski TV. Josh pulls the best mountain shredding on a sitski that I have ever seen. Go to the Salomon Freeski TV thread in this forum and you g=can see a few of the shots.
    -- Mike D

Sweet, cheers Mike. Will it be available to buy or download anywhere?

Chris

TGR search

PM gear (Powder Maggot) Sponsored athlete ANDY CAMPBELL

I've seen Andy's blog and some of the heli-skiing he did in Alaska, was amazing stuff!!! Have tried to contact him on FB as his blogs don't seem to have been updated since January...

Chris

Andy pretty much disappears during the summer. He's prolly off paragliding somewhere or rolling his wheelchair on an ocean bottom while scuba diving.
    But he shows up here about the same time the snow starts to fly.

WME did a segment on the guys at the X-games a few years back...

not very extensive though.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Where are you located? There's a bunch of sitskier hotspots. I know here in NH that Loon has a huge program and some paralympians regularly carving it up.

I'm based in the not-very-snowy UK, and almost as far South as you can get here without getting very wet! I appreciate the thought, but travelling to New Hampshire is a hell of a commute from this side of the Atlantic!!!

Chris

Chris, hang out over here (of course don't abandon TGR, Mecca of stoke).

http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/...Winter-Sports&

Are you already there as chris-uk? Anyway, there some damn good skiers there. For the super racers, I haven't seen any sharing on a forum or anyplace. I think the competition for meager prize money is too great. But over at adaptive there are excellent skiers likes Bill Boness (Bones) and Jake O'Connor. Those guys certainly throw. Qman skied with Andy at the Canyons so might be able to hook you up. I had an injury this spring that permanently put me out of the running for first descents, but I still don't know whether anybody has sitskied several routes in Squaw such as the easier Palisades lines. This is a young field, so many lines are virgins to the sitski...

Maybe you saw these:

Various:

http://www.youtube.com/sjeesjan

DH:

http://www.youtube.com/sjeesjan#p/u/11/l3d9YqSTtmk

Cheers

Hi Dude,

Yes, I am on there as Chris-uk! The halfpipe one I'd seen, but thanks for the other one. Funny thing is that I didn't think to post the question over there for some reason?!? Still, at least I have the excuse of having a diagnosed brain condition!!!

I don't know if I'll change my mind as I progress, and I am only three hours into my adaptive skiing career(!), but I've got my sights set on being able to play hard in the parks and pipes. At the moment I'm of the mindset where I'm not bothered about hurting myself 'cos it all hurts anyway, but I'm mindful of any further permanent impairment. I don't want to not try something just because it might bite me, and so I want to look at pushing my pipe and rail performance. I'm still convinced that if you can pull a flair on a BMX then you can have a go in a monoski!!!

Thanks for the links!

Chris

http://www.earlyups.com/featured/the...chair-trailer/

just saw this on earlyups. looks awesome

Can we finally stop calling it monoskiing, since that term describes something else? I know it's mostly gone (thankfully), but every time I see monoskiing posted here (or anywhere) I think of something like this, and not what you guys are talking about:

[quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Can we finally stop calling it monoskiing, since that term describes something else? I know it's mostly gone (thankfully), but every time I see monoskiing posted here (or anywhere) I think of something like this, and not what you guys are talking about:
    Type in "monoski" or "adaptive monoski" in google images and see what most of the images are. It is the norm for Adaptive skiing terminology, so get over yourself. As a former mono/sitski coach, this this what it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post

you could at least post a quality example

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman View Post
    Type in "monoski" or "adaptive monoski" in google images and see what most of the images are. It is the norm for Adaptive skiing terminology, so get over yourself. As a former mono/sitski coach, this this what it's called.
    Ah, the wikipedia/truthiness argument...right. First image was the one I posted, BTW--that must count for something?

Let's start referring to snowboarding as monoskiing, and if we convince Google images that that's what monoskiing is then that's what it will be. Maybe we can change the name of ice hockey to telemarking, too. Stinky hippies could use some time in the penalty box.
    [quote][//quote]

Dexter: To be honest I don't care what you think of what it's called, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I'll continue calling it monoskiing and enjoying it regardless. It happens on one ski and by any definition that deserves the descriptor mono; google, you or otherwise.

Red727: I've seen that trailer and can't WAIT for the film to come out!!!

There was a great short film in the 2008 Banff Mtn Film Festival called "Ain't Got No Friends on a Powder Day," made by a French company: http://flkproductions.com/

I searched and found this on YouTube, made by the same people, featuring the same athlete , with some of the same footage but not exactly the same film. In French, no subtitles. Still a good candidate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhpNqTyblxI
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Thank you for that Mr Multiglisse. I had seen the ski section of that film before, it is on the Tessier website, but not the whole film. It is great to see someone fight their way back to their feet, and to see him walking around with his stick as I do. After I tried monoskiing for the first time I questioned myself quite thoroughly because I felt that maybe I didn't deserve to monski because I can stand up and walk with a stick, so maybe I could ski standing up too. It's an absolute nonsense of course, I couldn't possibly hope to ski standing, but it didn't stop me asking the question of myself. Seeing JYM doing what he did from the start to the finish has given me a certain reassurance in what I am doing.

Thanks you.

Chris