Flooring for workshop/ storage building

Looking into flooring options for a storage building, will be enclosed portion of barn. Space will be 12’ by 60’ and have wood stove but will only be heated on a as required basis, so could go down to -20C. Though will be insulated but not like a house. Will have deep freeze, lots of storage, some bunks ( for ski bum storage), workshop area ( drill press, work bench, table saw) and area for saddle storage.

The floor will be like a deck as the barn will be a pole barn so beams will be attached to the posts and be off grade by ~ 6” .Anyway as just an outbuilding what something cheap but easy to clean. I’ve seen when people have just put down boards and they wear a lot and the gaps open up and collect a lot of dirt so a bitch to clean. Had thought of laminate though I’ve always hated the look of it . It would be easy to install and supposed to wear well and I guess high traffic areas could be replaced if you bought some extra sq footage.

I did see some hard wood lowest grade that was on sale for $2/sq ft which is just about the same as laminate though I guess you can get laminate pretty cheap. Really short pieces so lots of staples and mallet swinging but it should wear pretty well ( oak or maple).

Any other options?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Commercial grade sheet vinyl?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I say whatever you can find for free or next to free. If its just an outbuilding or shop who gives a crap what it looks like.

I might go for something at least 2" thick. Sounds like durability is more important than anything else.
    Live Free or Die

What's the subfloor, Doug? I was thinking 241 for the sub and finish, which is 1-5/8" t&g plywood. Tough as hell, just paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    What's the subfloor, Doug? I was thinking 241 for the sub and finish, which is 1-5/8" t&g plywood. Tough as hell, just paint it.
    whats 241? was thinking of standard 3/4" OSB T&G which is half the price of plywood
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    whats 241? was thinking of standard 3/4" OSB T&G which is half the price of plywood
    throw some paint on it and call it done.

I know you said it would be like a deck, but for the costs of framing and sheeting, why don't you pour a slab? Easy to clean, solid, and it supports vehicles better if you ever need to work on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I know you said it would be like a deck, but for the costs of framing and sheeting, why don't you pour a slab? Easy to clean, solid, and it supports vehicles better if you ever need to work on one.
    that would be expensive in our area as the whole building is 54' by 63'. Basicaly one bay is enclosed , the center is open , 29' clear for two rows of "traffic" skid steer, horse trailer, camper, truck, and the last bay is open to the center bay and used for hay storage plus canoe/kayak/lumber.

looked a bit a yinyl and it seemed to by about $2.5-$3 a sq ft. and when it wears it looks like shit.

I had thought of plywood on top of the OSB and stain it or urathane it but hardwood ply is about a $1 a sq and no way would it wear as well hard solid hard wood.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    that would be expensive in our area as the whole building is 54' by 63'. Basicaly one bay is enclosed , the center is open , 29' clear for two rows of "traffic" skid steer, horse trailer, camper, truck, and the last bay is open to the center bay and used for hay storage plus canoe/kayak/lumber.
    Yeah, at 54'x63' that would be pricey. Any idea how much the 12'x60' area would cost? At four inches thick you would be looking at nine yards. You could get a truck full for about a grand. Additional costs would be rebar and some forms, assuming you do all the labor. By the time you look at the work framing the whole thing and sheeting it, concrete is not too far off, if you are able to pour and finish it yourself, with help from some friends.