Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wilderness in a crowded area.

What's your favorite urban (or just crowded) place where you have found sanctuary?

I like some deep, secret trails in the middle of Austin.
    And cemeteries.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hugh Conway Guest
    The Santa Monica's are close to a ton of people but empty.

Not sanctuary in the same way, but XC skiing in DC in a snowstorm. Empty, dead, quiet.

I have been on a great XC ski in central park at night, sublime. And so quiet.

Used to live up Kenter, riding up there was downright lonely at times in the early 90's.

Paradisio before the decomission was pretty cool, too, as well as night-riding in Marin and lafeyette Res.

You really only need to close the bathroom door Going out of your way to find sanctuary is soo early 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    You really only need to close the bathroom door Going out of your way to find sanctuary is soo early 21st century
    Handicapped stall FTW!

There are some reeeeally quiet parts of Rock Creek Park close to my house. Deer, Fox, various other wildlife hoofed,furred, and feathered and no traffic noise, all in the middle of an Urban area with 4+Million people.

The Boston Harbor Islands are nice spot only 10 minutes by boat from downtown

Back when I hitch hiked across the country I slept out in San Francisco for 3 nights. The area was adjacent to some military complex, just up from the zoo with a beach on the other side. You could get down under these dense evergreen bushes and no one knew you were there. Slept out lots of places, but that was the only one in an urban environment.

The Japanese Garden in Portland was a sanctuary for me, there were occasionally too many people but it was always a peaceful place. In SF parts of the Presidio and Golden Gate park are islands of sanity.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Theater during showing of Sarah Palin's film "Undefeated"... empty, quiet, very relaxing.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Wissahickon Valley in Philly. Roughly 20 miles of rocky, rooty, twisty singletrack with free ride features thrown in for kicks. It's the gem of the city IMO

This was all shot in NYC

...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Back when I hitch hiked across the country I slept out in San Francisco for 3 nights. The area was adjacent to some military complex, just up from the zoo with a beach on the other side. .
    Ahem...I covered that!

Paradisio before the decomission was pretty cool, too

Schmidt Park in West Seattle - old growth forest in the middle of a huge urban area, and not that frequently visited.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

a little known dh trail through a forest that runs down the middle of the city (lausanne)...rarely is there anyone on it. it's pretty rad too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Wissahickon Valley in Philly. Roughly 20 miles of rocky, rooty, twisty singletrack with free ride features thrown in for kicks. It's the gem of the city IMO
    I second this. I am very impressed with the riding in Wissahickon. The cathedral-like trees and steep valley walls are even more impressive.

I offer that this park is the nicest urban park on the east coast.

Central park(NYC). I used to like walking around the Shakespeare's garden area in the winter or on a rainy day.
    30+ years ago the Wall Street area had no residential properties and would be empty on the weekends. If you went early the place looked like the set of one of those nuclear apocalypse movies. No people. No cars. Garbage on street. It was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    What's your favorite urban (or just crowded) place where you have found sanctuary?

I like some deep, secret trails in the middle of Austin.
    And cemeteries.
    i used to live in austin and i would recommend mt. bonnell. its usually not too crowded and has great sunsets.

home in Houston, its flat as a pancake; so not too senic. i recommend my patio deck w/ a cigar, some newcastles and leering at passing female joggers.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

The Wasatch.

elmwood park. syracuse, ny

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Paradisio before the decomission was pretty cool
    Is this similar to the Presidio? Paradisio, WTF?

Discovery Park in Seattle is pretty cool. Closer to home there's a small lake right across the street from my house called Haller Lake. I love swimming there in the summer. You get out in the middle of the lake and it feels like you are in a rural setting. Here's a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    There are some reeeeally quiet parts of Rock Creek Park close to my house. Deer, Fox, various other wildlife hoofed,furred, and feathered and no traffic noise, all in the middle of an Urban area with 4+Million people.
    true dat. Same with Wheaton Regional Park.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

The City of Boulder's Open Space and Mountain Parks are a pretty freaking cool sanctuary. But then, all of Boulder is a bubble so not sure if that counts.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    elmwood park. syracuse, ny
    I was kind of thinking of Oakwood and St. Mary's cemeteries when I posted that.
    Used to rip around on the Mt. Bikes hucking off things 20+ years ago. And St Mary's/Christian Brothers woods were closer to Johnny's Pizza, of course...

there's some old-growth way up in elmwood. mtb trails there too that go down beyond webster's pond