Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Noticing that the BBG is definitely unforgiving in certain types of dirt. I was super stoked on dry brown dirt at one trail, but it sucks in clay based dirt at another trail over an hour away. It really does require solid technique and commitment to laying it over on a turn.

I feel that if I get the front tire to audibly buzz it means I am leaning over onto the side knobs enough and able to get the bike to rail through a turn with good speed.

In loose marbley sandstone it can be sketchy. Any reccos for something with more uniform tread with low rolling resistance that can handle the occasional wet turn?

Right now its bone dry dust and then soggy/muddy low turns 100 yards down the trail. I just think I need to save the bbg for true drought conditions.

Small block or slant 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Small block or slant 6?
    heh, not if you're trying to get a tire that doesn't gum up.

No tire works that great on marbles. There's nothing to bite into or grab. Just gotta let them things slide around and hoot and holler.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Noticing that the BBG is definitely unforgiving in certain types of dirt. I was super stoked on dry brown dirt at one trail, but it sucks in clay based dirt at another trail over an hour away. It really does require solid technique and commitment to laying it over on a turn.

I feel that if I get the front tire to audibly buzz it means I am leaning over onto the side knobs enough and able to get the bike to rail through a turn with good speed.

In loose marbley sandstone it can be sketchy. Any reccos for something with more uniform tread with low rolling resistance that can handle the occasional wet turn?

Right now its bone dry dust and then soggy/muddy low turns 100 yards down the trail. I just think I need to save the bbg for true drought conditions.

Small block or slant 6?
    I'm not a super rider. I'm just a fat guy trying to get skinny and stay in shape. I haven't yet had a time that I thought these failed me while cornering, climbing or decending. My only complaint would be that when I cross snow drifts, they really cake up. And seriously, that is about 100 yards of a 10 mile ride in the spring. When I saw them at first, I was worried about tread life, but so far, I'm happy. I converted from WTB wolverines, which I followed pretty religously for their low rolling resistance and bite. I think these are on par. But hell, in the 80's I followed ground controls and farmer johns and thought they were the bomb.

You do get a feeling of engagement when you are turing on pavement which takes a little getting used to.

WG: you might consider a minion dhf exo 2.5 front and pop on the DHR2 2.3 rear when those come out later in the month, or stick a 2.35 DHF or similar on the rear.

i also have a pair of continental 2.3 barons that i was planning on selling here shortly if you want to try. very similar to the DHF. nice open tread that will bite into clay but still roll reasonably well on harpack.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I wish they would make the BBG in a 2.35 ust or downhill casing. Why does kenda always do odd sizes (2.1) for their ust tires. Seems like the standard on a trail bike is to run 2.35 normal brand tires or 2.5 in maxxis. If this is the largest current market, you'd think kenda would want to capitalize on it.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Hmmmm. I definitely like the happy medium rear in basically all conditions so far. Luckily, we have very few climbs with wet roots across the trail.

I guess I am willing to sacrifice some cornering for low rolling resistance. The dhf can't possibly roll as well as a bbg right?

I loved my high roller 2 in the turns, but it rolls like shit.

I bbg just feels like it has such a fine line between railing and flailing. You are either locked into the turn or falling over. Definitely ate some dirt yesterday

Ill be running the bbg in my race on saturday, so I will either love it or hate it after this weekend depending on my finish place

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    I wish they would make the BBG in a 2.35 downhill casing.
    They do. I've got a pair sitting on my sx trail right now.

edit: Of course I say that, I can't find them for sale anywhere.

here's a part number at least
    http://bicyclepost.com/product/kenda...e-123284-1.htm
    Last edited by kidwoo; 05-15-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Maybe try the Kenda H-Factor up front?

Looks to have a good burly side knob for leaning over, less drastic transition from centre to side. A bit more open in the transition than a Nevegal.

That has got to be, without a doubt, the most dramatically photographed mountain bike tire in the history of ever.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That has got to be, without a doubt, the most dramatically photographed mountain bike tire in the history of ever.
    lol, yeah maybe not the best pic to show the tread.

I think I'll grab a pair along with some more BBG's. I can't get a deal on Maxxis so it would be nice if this could ride as well as the 2.5 DHF Exo 3C up front. Yes I am cheap and don't like to pay full price for tires.

The cornrow on the BBG I ran as a rear last year is shredded. It's basically a Happy Medium now.

Whiteroom, as far as front tires go, you can put something pretty knobby up front and not notice much resistance.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

They do. I've got a pair sitting on my sx trail right now.

edit: Of course I say that, I can't find them for sale anywhere.

here's a part number at least
    http://bicyclepost.com/product/kenda...e-123284-1.htm

i told you man, BBG = discontinued. UST and DH are long sold thru, and the 2.1 and 2.35 casings are not having any additonals being made.

its a sad sad day.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

For real? It didn't sell well enough? It worked too well?

Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i told you man, BBG = discontinued. UST and DH are long sold thru, and the 2.1 and 2.35 casings are not having any additonals being made.

its a sad sad day.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

its a sad sad day.

I'm not even going with brain damage any more. It's just straight up brain dead.

edit:

Gettim while you can

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TYRE-BBG-2-3.../dp/B0063HLTNQ

WTF! Easily the dumbest thing I've heard today. Luckily I have some on the way from Kenda but had I known that I might have tried to buy more.

That sucks. The 2.1 UST is a killer rear tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon.co.uk
    We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination.
    I heard their periods attract bears.

its a sad sad day.
    i should slightly edit the above:

i was told they are being discontinued a year ago, UST and DH casings have been unobtanium for at least 5-6 months, and kenda is not accepting refill orders from distributors, and there is beginning to be limited qty on the normal sidewall ones. who knows how many they have left...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Hey kenda: shit like this is why maxxis is chugging your fucking milkshake right now.

Drinkin it riiigghhht up.

Have fun being known as the nevegal company forever.

making room for this yet to be released piece of shit

http://www.kendatire.com/en/bicycle/...ey-badger-pro/

What. The. Fuck.
    No longer stuck.

WOW... just noticed they discontinued the Telonix too...Those are my goto loose conditions tire.

Kenda...You are BLOWING IT!!

My rear BBG may not have had great braking tonight in the gravel over hardpack, but those side knobs saved my butt big time on a big drift when I got a bit too sideways in the air.

making room for this yet to be released piece of shit

http://www.kendatire.com/en/bicycle/...ey-badger-pro/
    Well that looks......anemic.

According to some pr dildo on their facebook page, they're "not going anywhere"...
    No longer stuck.

http://www.kendatire.com/en/bicycle/...ntain/bbg-pro/
    Still listed on their website, with a new name?
    No 29er version
    They added the word pro to their tires, so you know they have to be good.
    No longer stuck.