Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    BB too lowwwww. I find 13" to be just the right mix of lowness and pedal-carnage for trail riding.
    Oh yeah if it's 13 with 27s, that might get a little sketch with 26s.

And I'll take the ust if everyone else backs out! (actually are you the one I sold mine to? cuz that would be awesome if so.....I don't remember)
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Oh yeah if it's 13 with 27s, that might get a little sketch with 26s.

And I'll take the ust if everyone else backs out! (actually are you the one I sold mine to? cuz that would be awesome if so.....I don't remember)
    It's true! I'll have to start taking bids. "Own Kidwoo's own BBG! Torn sidewalls not included!"

That tire sucks. You better get a refund from the dude who sold it to you.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I had my first ride on my BBG in back in Squamish yesterday. It's a 2.1 DTC UST. The trails were fairly dry and the tire performed well, but I had one instance that left me a bit hesitant about running it. There's an off-camber granite whaleback rolldown that I've ridden many times without issue. Right before it, there was a boggy section that got the rubber wet. As I was riding the rock roll, my tires slid down the off-camber, something that's never happenned there before. I went back up to try again and the same thing happened. While my tires were wet (but not clogged), the rock was dry.

Is this a product of the lack of tread or the rubber being not very sticky? It's possible that the off-camber terrain put me right on the bald transition zone, resulting in the slide out.

I can't recommend these tires if you will be riding on any moisture whatsoever. It's a true dry conditions tire.

If anyone in the SLC area is looking for a couple of the 2.35s DTC BBGs let me know. I've got one new in package and one that I mounted up and it's got one short Shoreline ride and one lap on Rush on it. There's a bit of Stan's residue left in there after wiping it down but the tread is like new still. Mostly just selling due to a lack of patience setting it up tubeless. In the two weeks it was mounted up on an old Flow rim with Stan's I can't shake a slow leak at the bead so I took it off and went back to Conti Trail Kings. Asking $50 for the set. If I don't get any takers locally in the next few days I'll open it up to shipping.

So I put the 2.1 DTC UST back on as a rear. Holy shit, is that thing ever fast! I notice it on extended climbs, but on the descents the bike picks up speed extremely quickly.

I still find that its weakness (as expected) is moist rock in tighter terrain. The tire likes to slide around if you can't dig in those side knobs, compounded by the extra speed carried into corners. Braking earlier is necessary.

Until kenda starts sourcing some different rubber combos and sidewall weaves, you guys need to quit bumping this thread.

It's depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    So I put the 2.1 DTC UST back on as a rear. Holy shit, is that thing ever fast! I notice it on extended climbs, but on the descents the bike picks up speed extremely quickly.

I still find that its weakness (as expected) is moist rock in tighter terrain. The tire likes to slide around if you can't dig in those side knobs, compounded by the extra speed carried into corners. Braking earlier is necessary.
    You going to leave that on for Thursday night?

They'll be slippy slide on 7th in the wet, but if you expect it and play to it then it works. On LOC they'll be fine, actual dirt in the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    You going to leave that on for Thursday night?

They'll be slippy slide on 7th in the wet, but if you expect it and play to it then it works. On LOC they'll be fine, actual dirt in the corners.
    Yeah that's a tough one. I've been doing a lot of crashing at races this year so I'm inclined to play it safe, but I'm out of Stan's and won't have a chance to get any before the race, so that may settle what tire I run. On 7th, even just a little bit damp still from the weekend rain, I was sketchy in the tight, armoured corners.

Until kenda starts sourcing some different rubber combos and sidewall weaves, you guys need to quit bumping this thread.

It's depressing.
    Bumping this to put the bat signal out to all serious tech nerds. Any different compounds/sidewalls coming for next summer or is there no hope?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

It's sad to see this thread and realize the OP is gone from TGR. Seems like kids'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Bumping this to put the bat signal out to all serious tech nerds. Any different compounds/sidewalls coming for next summer or is there no hope?
    From kenda? Not likely.

Kenda is kind of a messed up company. They made a hans dampf equivalent called the nevegal many years ago that kind of sucks but sold like a motherfucker, partly just because they were very available and fairly cheap. So that's literally the only tire that they've ever invested any resources into in terms of a big variety of compounds and casings. No one apparently bought the BBGs and there are actually fewer options now than when they came out.

That's bidness. Especially tire bidness. It's not what works, it's what sells.

From kenda? Not likely.

Kenda is kind of a messed up company. They made a hans dampf equivalent called the nevegal many years ago that kind of sucks but sold like a motherfucker, partly just because they were very available and fairly cheap. So that's literally the only tire that they've ever invested any resources into in terms of a big variety of compounds and casings. No one apparently bought the BBGs and there are actually fewer options now than when they came out.

That's bidness. Especially tire bidness. It's not what works, it's what sells.
    Bummer. Rode nevegals for a season or two when I was a JONG getting back into it. Those knobs sure look effective if you don't know anything and they were cheap as hell, but couldn't believe the difference once I invested in some maxxis stuff.

That being said, all the guys at endless biking in north van were loving the new one, the x pro or something. Rode them on my demo bike and they did well enough I suppose.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Marshal is still around, I think.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It's sad to see this thread and realize the OP is gone from TGR. Seems like kids'll do that.
    I always wondered what the hell happened to that guy. Seemed like he vanished into the wind like Keyser Söze.

24/7/365 dps shilling was nauseating to some of us

as was the pretense that he's the only multisport athlete ever to look at a piece of gear and have some thoughts.

wouldn't be even 1% surprised if he's still here under a new ID

Marshal's last post was over a year ago. Shortly after he moved to SLC to work full time as a sales rep for dps and maybe other brands, and to have a kid. Makes perfect sense to me that he went from working as a bike/ski wrench without a kid to having a full time gig and a kid and living in a way better place for actually doing stuff outside. Perhaps he found there wasn't so much time for feeding the internet addiction that we're all still hooked to.

Ridiculous to think Marshal would start an alias a decade after joining, when he has total respect from 99% of the maggot population. He was a stand up guy who consistently gave solid input and was always willing to hook up mags in real life.

^Seriously

Don't like what he had to say? Ignore it. That guy was one of the most helpful people I've ever met. I disagree with him on all kinds of shit........just like all my other friends. He was part of what made this place worth a damn.

He blew through town a while ago and hit me up for lunch. His hair looked great!

He reads the internet.

He noticed a comment I made on tires and sent me an email (like a real actual email) asking some questions.

He's likely lurking a bit. Yep a good guy outside the crazy internet world.

The regular DTC are $25, but I don't think Blue Sky offers free shipping.

^Seriously

Don't like what he had to say? Ignore it. That guy was one of the most helpful people I've ever met. I disagree with him on all kinds of shit........just like all my other friends. He was part of what made this place worth a damn.

He blew through town a while ago and hit me up for lunch. His hair looked great!
    Know how I know you're ghey?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

The regular DTC are $25, but I don't think Blue Sky offers free shipping.

Know how I know you're ghey?
    I can't wait for creaky's response to this one.

I know these run wider than maxxis dhf's but how much so? I have a 2.3 butcher up front and a 2.35 maxxis dhf on the back (which is narrower than the butcher)... but will need to replace that sooner than later (was figuring I could maybe get through May). I'd like to get something a bit better rolling, but would this be that much skinnier than what I'm running.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I can't wait for creaky's response to this one.

I know these run wider than maxxis dhf's but how much so? I have a 2.3 butcher up front and a 2.35 maxxis dhf on the back (which is narrower than the butcher)... but will need to replace that sooner than later (was figuring I could maybe get through May). I'd like to get something a bit better rolling, but would this be that much skinnier than what I'm running.
    You'll be fine with a 2.1 eyballing 'does my bike look ghey' style.

2.3 specialized tires aren't huge, and the 2.1 bbg knobs hang out there a bit.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/spotted...tire-2015.html

Maxxis getting on board again with the updated High Roller SS / Lopes Bling.