Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Marshal- Any thoughts on the happy medium vs. High Roller Semi Slick?
    I have lots of time from DJ/ Pump to trail use on the HRSS and have been looking at the Happy Medium (especially as a colorado cyclocross tire).

Seems like maybe the Happy Medium has transition knobs that are closer to mid-line?

the happy medium transitions from center to side cleaner with those knobs, yes. its more intuitive than the HR SS. the HR SS is like slide>bang opposed to clean and linear, with good of feedback to the rider.

the happy medium also has way more knob height and definition in the center-line file pattern. they actually bite and brake very well in the correct condition, where the HR SS is more of a skidder.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Any opinion on how a 2.35 BBG would work in the rear in steep, loose (dust and pebbly rocks) climbs?
    They work great. It's all sipes yo.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Just picked up my 2.1 UST BBGs. Just because some of you brought it up, they weigh 856g a pop.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

How big compared to 2.35/2.5 maxxis??
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

Finstah Guest
    2.1 Kenda = 2.35 Maxxis

But like has been said, there is a lot more that goes into what makes a tire "good" besides it's width.

I'm curious what rim widths folks running 2.35 BBGs have. I've run them on 21mm internal width rims and felt like the tires were a little too rounded- like it was tough to find the cornering lugs in some situations. For example, big rocks on the inside of a corner keeping me from leaning the bike enough to engage them. It isn't a big deal and these tires are rad, just curious if anybody else has experienced something similar and how wide most folks' rims are.

For sure. I've got them on some mavic 823s and I know they'd be better on a wider rim. They should have put those sideknobs closer to the center so they engage a bit sooner.

But hey, it's kenda. They had to fvck up something.

Like you said though, it's not a deal breaker. Just could be slightly better.

Hmmmm...so much for me putting these on a set of 819s.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Just do it.

What subV and I said applies to EVERY tire.

In my world, all rims would be 35mm wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Hmmmm...so much for me putting these on a set of 819s.
    2.1s would probably work better with that rim. Lets be honest though, my Flows are only a couple mm wider so it's not drastic. I still have a round tire and yes, I wish the side knobs engaged sooner, but I bet the 2.1's do that to some extent. Now when I can get strong 450g 35mm wide rims I will be heaven. Unobtanium is such a sweet material

EDIT: So it's clear, I'm on 2.35's
    Last edited by phatfreeheeler; 07-18-2012 at 11:48 PM.

I have the 2.1's on Flows. Pretty square profile.

Another great ride on these. I love em. The HM just keeps hooking up on climbs.

I've got a near-new 2.1 (non-UST) gathering dust in my closet, if anyone wants it shoot me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I've got a near-new 2.1 (non-UST) gathering dust in my closet, if anyone wants it shoot me a pm.
    You coming to Tahoe soon? If so, I or a friend might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    You coming to Tahoe soon? If so, I or a friend might be interested.
    sorry dude, I think it's sold. if not it's yours.

Well, I pulled my front BBG off tonight after deciding that the Wasatch Enduro course was't ideal for it and my skills combined. The steep foot deep trenching moon dust over roots section took more faith than I have without the ability to apply any effective braking. Not that any tire will give tons of braking in that condition.

Might have to replace the rear too cause I noticed braking so hard in the rocky sections has torn off many of the center knobs completely and all the side knobs are cracking pretty good. In fairness, these are old tires at this point and I was waiting to see how they would start to die. Although I may just put another one on the back.

Oh, wait. It appears I got lost in all the 2.35...2.1 stuff. After further review, I'm thinking 2.1 UST for a rear on the little bike. That should be fine. And really, I should shut up about roundiness since I've got a 2.5 Minion on the front.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    AK, I predict you will love this tire compared to the Ardent in the rear. This tire hooks up while the Ardent is a drifter.
    Nice call. Put a 2.35 BBG on my rear ghetto tubeless with a 2.3 Butcher up front. I still think the Ardent is a fine tire (especially up front), but I can certainly push corners harder and with more confidence with the BBGs. The BBGs might be slower rolling though, but it's hard for me to tell.

Another update on the Happy Medium as a rear.

After a good two week dry spell the rains returned for several days, then stopped on Monday. Did a ride last night and things are still damp in the forest. On some very tech and cross rooted climbs I was shocked at the traction from the HM. If you put down clean constant power the tire just hooks up. Several climbs that I didn't think it would hold and it did. If you stand and mash pedals or don't have a smooth pedal stroke in the traction might not be as good.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Another update on the Happy Medium as a rear.

After a good two week dry spell the rains returned for several days, then stopped on Monday. Did a ride last night and things are still damp in the forest. On some very tech and cross rooted climbs I was shocked at the traction from the HM. If you put down clean constant power the tire just hooks up. Several climbs that I didn't think it would hold and it did. If you stand and mash pedals or don't have a smooth pedal stroke in the traction might not be as good.
    Are you the only guy in BC running semi slicks? It sounds like a fast summer setup but looks like hot death on the first wet root. Perhaps I am missing something.

Ardent f aspen r on one bike

Minion f crossmark r another bike

Mtn king f xking r another bike

Ardent f r another bike.

The ardentf aspen r combo sux in wet roots but one adjusts to two wheel drifts and slides

Heh, yeah, agreed. I'm run crossmarks so I know the fun of a fast+loose tire. I'm trying to decide on a summer tire setup for my 5" bike. (Well, soon to be my only mtb.) Currently it's 2.35 minion front and 2.35 HR rear. It's great from mixed conditions but slow.

Shirk's 2.1 BBG front and 2.1 HM rear setup interests me. It could be good for long rides in the dry season, and I don't mind switching tires occasionally when it rains mid-summer. I'd run UST in the rear. The pricing is good on Kendas which is appealing for dry-only tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Are you the only guy in BC running semi slicks? It sounds like a fast summer setup but looks like hot death on the first wet root. Perhaps I am missing something.
    I might be the only one running a Happy Medium as a rear here on the shore, but there are lots of guys starting to run "xc" fast rolling rear tires here. Seems to be a trend among the AM/Trail guys to finally switch back to fast sketchy rear tires, especially for the dry summer months.

I always looked at the sketchy rear tires with next to no tread and said "no way that will be death here" but once you start to see and talk to enough really fast guys that are running tires like the Crossmark as a rear you have to try it.

I started with 2.25 Racing Ralph and on Marshal's good word decided to try the Happy Medium.

On roots you need to be willing to ride them very aggressive and expect some drift, look for the patches of dirt and dig the side knobs in when you can.

That makes sense. Also, when one does run into hardpack and dry rocks in the summer, tires like that do handle well. Especially if you don't put too much air in them. Does the 2.1 HM have similar volume to the BBG / 2.35 minion ?

I think you'll really like the BBG/HM combo for dry conditions. Especially on longer rides.

The 2.1 BBG is about the same as the 2.35 Minnion and the HM is a touch shorter sidewall and smaller volume.