Roku refuses to connect w/ Actiontec wifi

After giving up on Linksys routers (seemed to burn out after 6-12mos), I bought an Actiontec 802.11g a few months back (works great btw).

A few days ago, purchased the new roku2 XS. It sees the wifi signal, loud and clear, but won't connect to it. have tried a long list of fixes -- changed to all lower case password (since Caps sometimes confuse the Roku, supposedly), changed channels on the router, etc.

Just now the Roku tech support guy said that Roku can have issues connecting with some brands of wifi routers. WTF?

as a last resort, i wanted to use a LAN cable to hook up the Roku but i don't have a 50 foot LAN cable...not in the mood to move the entire TV for this little experiment either.

What security do you have set up on the Actiontec router- WPA2, WPA, or WEP? Have you tried for at least a few minutes for testing purposes to turn off the wireless security completely and see if the Roku connects that way?

WPA2. I thought about turning off the PW, and will try that today as a test, but even if it then works how does that help my longterm situation? I asked Roku the same question and they had no answer.

Thx.

jgb@etree Guest
    You could turn off the encryption and stop broadcasting the ssid, then control access via mac address. Your wifi transmissions aren't encrypted, but does that really matter to you?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    WPA2. I thought about turning off the PW, and will try that today as a test, but even if it then works how does that help my longterm situation? I asked Roku the same question and they had no answer.

Thx.
    I have not worked much with Roku, but some devices do not like WPA2. Older OS computers, and printers are some examples off the top of my head. So if it works without security enabled. Then I would try WEP or maybe just WPA if no security works. Sure it is hacked easier by someone that really knows what they are doing, but it is better than no security at all. Sort of like locking the door, closing the windows, with not locking them when you leave the house.

Also do not know if you were talking to a knowledgeable tech with Roku or just some script reader that does not know what to do at all but hit the next key on the keyboard for the canned response....

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    I have not worked much with Roku, but some devices do not like WPA2. Older OS computers, and printers are some examples off the top of my head. So if it works without security enabled. Then I would try WEP or maybe just WPA if no security works. Sure it is hacked easier by someone that really knows what they are doing, but it is better than no security at all. Sort of like locking the door, closing the windows, with not locking them when you leave the house.

Also do not know if you were talking to a knowledgeable tech with Roku or just some script reader that does not know what to do at all but hit the next key on the keyboard for the canned response....
    good point. and yeah, it was first-level tech support reading from their scripts, but the 3rd guy was pretty savvy actually.

another option might be to run a long-ass LAN cable from the DSL router/modem to the roku.

Since this is the very recently released roku 2, I'm not sure why it would have issues w/ WPA2. have laptops and phones of various vintage in the house, all of which work perfectly w/ this wifi signal.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    good point. and yeah, it was first-level tech support reading from their scripts, but the 3rd guy was pretty savvy actually.

another option might be to run a long-ass LAN cable from the DSL router/modem to the roku.

Since this is the very recently released roku 2, I'm not sure why it would have issues w/ WPA2. have laptops and phones of various vintage in the house, all of which work perfectly w/ this wifi signal.
    2 other things- once you try the other wireless settings (no security, WEP, WPA and try a different channel - 1, 6 or 11 too) then I would wonder if Actiontec support would have any info on the issue. Many of these companies have tech support call history that they can look to see if they have had any others with Roku device not working on their routers. It also is strange that Roku moved you up to higher level tech support, but could not tell you more info on the issue (like what routers they have had reports on working vs brands or chipsets that are not working)...

The new Roku2 series is a wireless N version (G is older slower standard but is backwards compatible too, but many N routers support 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz). A site survey would be needed- signal strength, channel and other devices around that may interfere (portable phones, microwave ovens, etc.) that use the same frequencies.

If you do not want to do the cable (can be a big pain many times depending on the layout and placement) then you could probably try another brand or model router- Wireless N could be a recommendation at this point. Check to see if your router would support being flashed with some of the 3rd party open source firmware out there (Tomato, DD-WRT, etc.) Or get a second router/access point (even a used one off Craigslist) and set it up as a second access point- then if needed you could have this 2nd device right next to the Roku and a short wired cable to it if wireless issues remain. Buffalo Routers are nice in that many of their models have a switch right on them to go from router to access point, for extending a signal to gain better coverage.

yea i would turn off encryptin first and see if it connects then go from there.

i also second the dd-wrt second modem, hell you can probably flash your old one and not be out any money