Looking For Rugged Tablet PC

I work in Quality Assurance in a dusty industrial environment; sometimes outdoors in bad weather.

Our QA program is pretty basic...no SPC, mostly documenting actual dimensions either by hand and/or in Excel spreadsheets. This is frequently recorded directly on paper drawing prints (anybody remember those? LOL).

I'd like to try to streamline our data-collection process. Does anybody have any recommendations for robust, dustproof, Windows-based tablet PCs?

Seems like there's a HUGE difference in price between 'consumer-level' tablets and 'industrial' ruggedized versions...like double the price!

Any input would be helpful.

Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

possibly another option: http://www.adapx.com/
    No personal experience but have friends who use them for work and say it works pretty well. Could make for a smoother transition away from the current method of writing on hard copies, too
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/To...-computers.asp

I know the rail road has been using the tough book LT's up here for awhile and now Panasonic have a tablet

Do you really need a full tablet computer? If so then the Panasonic probably is the rugged standard. Pricey but definitely designed for durability.

Would a digital notepad work (write on it just like a standard legal pad then download the notes to a computer when you get back to the PC?) Would not work in rain or wet environments very well - since it is paper with a smart electronic pen. Solidtek is the manufacturer.

Thinkpads aren't as burly and the toughbooks, but are still built to milspec construction standards. The x220 tablet is probably worth looking into. I can't speak for it's 'dustproof' qualities though.

Panasonic Toughbook C-1

not sure if you need a Tablet and a Laptop. Our Company does and we use these
    Tablet one side - Laptop the other. Very indestructable.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/To...-tablet-pc.asp

I'm really liking the looks of the Toughbook Tablet(s).
    Tablet would be waaay more portable, while out-n-about, than a laptop. Also like the dual hot-swappable battery setup.

Great input so far, keep 'em coming...

Time to put a proposal together. Love to find somewhere to check one out in person.

Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

If you are going to be purchasing a few of them, you may be able to get your area salesperson from Panasonic to either lend you one to muck around with, install your applications on to test etc; or at the very least come in and give you the sales pitch. Failing that, check with your local police or fire department; there is a good chance one of them is running a toughbook in their vehicles and if you talk to the right person they might let you take a look at it.

Last edited by ARpowhound; 07-30-2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

I work in the construction industry. On my job site, the inspectors and QC uses Motion Computing tablets with a burly case.

Perfect tablet for QC. We make inspection reports by filling out a PDF form, taking pictures, and marking up a set of plans digitally... All done directly from the tablet, linked to the report, and stored online for contractor/AE/owner use.

However, the pad sucks for internet purposes. We have turned off the wireless and it just syncs when we bring it back into the trailer and plug it in.

The case is awesome. It is burly, with a kick-stand, a hand strap on the back for a secure hold while writing, and a shoulder strap.

Check it out. Also, we do all of this with a program called Latista. It is construction specific, but there might a an industrial equivalent.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA