Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I luv me sum yogurt
    watch out for snakes

I'm stiff as fuck in the AM and do some of the tapes, mostly the P90X yoga. I'd love to do a class, but there's a lot of moaning involved and a fair amount of farting.
    Maybe stick with an evening class?

Just saw cat's post, at least I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    My buddy's brewery in Boulder offers "Broga" classes. $15 bucks gets you a yoga class in the brewery and a beer. Last time I was there it was nice to drink beer and watch the ladies stretch. I can barely touch my shins.

Here's a list of ten breweries that offer this service, a few are in the SE, maybe near you:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/slideshow...asses/#slide-0
    This is kewl, I can sit there drink a beer and watch hot chicks roll around on da flooe. Id pay 4 dat.
    watch out for snakes

Try a few different studios if possible, the philosophies vary from place to place. Many studios have a first-timer intro package that includes unlimited yoga for a designated period of time.

Most all instructors in my area teach at a number of different studios, if you like the instructor but not the studio, find the other studios where they teach.

Ah yoga. Started just about a year ago. Saved my life. Had a pinched nerve due to an ongoing back issue. Could not even walk, let alone surf or ski. Now I yoga 2-4 days a week.

I can't imagine doing it at home in front of a video. Class is way better. And it keeps me from quoting after 20 minutes and grabbing a coffee/beer.

Find instructors that you like. I also do not want to much of the spiritual stuff. A very little bit perhaps. But I don't want to be preached to. Some instructors just drive me nuts. Others bore me. Those who tend to be cross trainers seem to be the best fit. And those who like to tell jokes, even bad jokes, I enjoy.

Vinyasa flow is what I tend to do. A lot of movement. Stretches. Core strengthening. Breathing. Find the style that is right for you.

And find a class you enjoy. Not all classes are full of hotties. In fact, from my experience, there are a lot of non hotties. An don't put your mat down indiscriminately. Look first. If there is a dude in front or behind you in cycling shorts, find another spot. Any other spot.

Then there is paddleboard yoga, which is big here, if not so big in India.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    An don't put your mat down indiscriminately. Look first. If there is a dude in front or behind you in cycling shorts, find another spot. Any other spot.
    qft

Relevant:

I've recently embraced yoga literally ... dating the instructor
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I've recently embraced yoga literally ... dating the instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    So I did some searches and this thread was helpful. I've been interested for a while, I'm very early 50s, Lifelong runner (20-25 miles/wk) ski tennis etc. Some mild lower back pain the last few years, and overall I've gotten extremely tight since my college track days. So I start a beginners/intro class in two weeks at what seems to be a fairly serious place (lots of retreats/spirtuality).

Question-what do I bring/dress/wear etc. so as to be polite, considerate, un-jong etc. Also, doing this only for sports preformance, not really looking for "spirtuality." any/all suggestions/obervations etc. appreciated thanks!
    I wear a pair of running shorts with a compression type liner to keep my junk from flopping around/out of my shorts. I like the compression type shorts that will stay up when my legs are in the air. I'm pretty sure no one really wants to see my pale hairy thighs. I usually go no shirt, but it took a while to get comfortable with that. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Watch your diet. If you have any known foods (nuts for me( that lead to flatulence yoga is sure to loosen it up. Don't want to be making eye contact and then let one rip as everyone is concentrating on their breathing.
    Oh, I am totally eating a few handfuls of raisins beforehand. Loud and very stinky. Might be best with Bikram Hot Yoga. Hot stinky farts.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Isn't that an oxymoron? Yeah, they tend to draw a certain crowd, but what brewery (or any business for that matter) in Boulder doesn't?
    Oxymoron? No way.

And I was referring to the staff, not the clientele. My last visit there, I saw 5 or 6 dudes working behind the bar, and every single one had a beard and plaid shirt. Most had black framed glasses.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

haha it's always the dudes that toot in yoga class

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Oxymoron? No way.

And I was referring to the staff, not the clientele. My last visit there, I saw 5 or 6 dudes working behind the bar, and every single one had a beard and plaid shirt. Most had black framed glasses.
    Ha! I guess you gotta cater to your demographic. I do know that a few of them definitely have that look going on, it's kind of an epidemic in the brewing world right now.

Every time I've been to Sanitas, there's just hot chicks everywhere, but being an old married guy from the hills, I do have low standards. But at least sometimes they are doing yoga or "rolling around on da flooe" as Scotty calls it.

Ha! I guess you gotta cater to your demographic. I do know that a few of them definitely have that look going on, it's kind of an epidemic in the brewing world right now.

Every time I've been to Sanitas, there's just hot chicks everywhere, but being an old married guy from the hills, I do have low standards. But at least sometimes they are doing yoga or "rolling around on da flooe" as Scotty calls it.
    yeah, I suppose it is a brewer's demographic, not restricted to them. I don't go out that often these days, so it was pretty noticeable when I was there.

And honestly, the hot chick phenomenon is this entire town.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

big difference between an instructor who has studied extensively/ has years of training and the brand new instructor, if you don't like a class find a better one. I am learning all about the business of yoga

Clothes: I live in this type of pant almost exclusively when not in street or ski clothes

http://www.yogaoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=8118635&color=9325& size=16740&Click=2510029&subscribe=Y&gclid=Cj0KEQj wx_WuBRDJ7tSK2-W0pJkBEiQAEWgR8Cm6H5XYD67h18L64xEqwUykLrfMi44vVF3a nsu-iR0aAq0K8P8HAQ

Shopping can yield prices as low as $12 for washed cotton. Pricey hemp types are very comfortable.

I wear a long sleeve loose fitting pullover or henley. Can be a 50/50 blend or all cotton if you really want to leach your shit out. Nice for sucking up massive perspiration and helps keep the heat up.

Tai Chi is just as powerful of a body modifier as yoga. More manfree if you can’t get past the ghey/exposed frustration. Also is done in constant motion and almost zero static holds. Both yield serious benefits.

Being past the half century mark will net you greater returns. If you’re a couchified chip eater and your bmi is approaching your IQ. The sky’s the limit.

The YMCA is a great place to start for either; cheap, lots of inexperienced first timers. Once past the noob feel, a studio is the way to go and all of the beta above holds true.

Been at one or the other (yoga/TC) for a couple of decades, 4 to 7 times a week with very few layoffs. It takes time, but once past figuring out the mind space thing you will attain infinite wisdom.

Recovery from an intense session can be greater than any gym workout. Hydration and nutrition are the keys. Hydration throughout your day, not just the 90 minutes before your effort, although this time period is important. Just Water, not a Colt 40

Modifying what you eat will change the experience over time. Its micro management and I slip off the wagon with regularity, but it does feel good when I'm gettin it done.

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    haha it's always the dudes that toot in yoga class
    And the pro-life vegan chicks who just let it rip...

Clothes. Board shorts. Light wool tshirt. Tight enough to not flop around. Not so tight that you notice my developing gut. Or just tuck in.

the colors have important vibration!

Since I started this thread I haven't made it too far with the yoga thing. I started videos just to try an loosen up the tightness before actually joining a legit class.
    For the most part I do these videos. https://www.doyogawithme.com/

appreciate the repies all!
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Since I started this thread I haven't made it too far with the yoga thing. I started videos just to try an loosen up the tightness before actually joining a legit class.
    For the most part I do these videos. https://www.doyogawithme.com/
    Sounds like the folks who workout & lose weight before actually going to a fitness facilty TO work out & lose weight

they do have classes especialy for the mobility challenged guys, again finding a good yoga instructor makes all the difference

i can not say "stiff guy" because that has been trademarked

If you want your lady friend to be able to shoot ping pong balls across the room, this yoga studio in Big Sky has a class for that: www.santoshabigsky.com

June Special Events
    ~Awareness Wednesday~
    Discover the Secrets of the Jade Egg! (Women only)

with Jill Jackson

June 17th

7:00-8:00pm

Do you want to increase your vibrancy as a woman? Connect to your deepest and best self? Strengthen your pelvic floor or improve your reproductive health? Improve your sex life? Please join Jill Jackson for an informative presentation on the amazing jade egg and learn about how it can help you with all these things and more. Sorry guys, this one is for women only!
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

A spittr from all three ends, wtf good duz that do?

Purly 4 entrtrainment?
    watch out for snakes