Jetta Sportswagen/Wagon?

Whatever the funk it is called. Any of you punks/punkettes drive one of these things? Not looking at the TDI (diesel) version, just the basic, stripped down version of the thing. Digging the ratio of storage capacity to length, but worried about space for the driver (I am a lanky bastard). Test drive maybe tonight.

I have a TDI and really like it, particularly the size. I am 5'10" and the seating position is perfect for me, but the Jetta is typical GErman and will be "perfect" for a multitude of body shapes.

I would not dismiss the TDI, while it is more in price it is basically a "no cost" option, you will get the value back (and usually more) in resale. Along with the resale being better, in the time of ownership, you will still get the benefit of better mileage (I am getting 42ish combined)and better performance 236 lb/torque.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I just bought an '11 2.5 S Jetta wagon about a month ago. I'm enjoying it so far. I wanted the TDI but couldn't justify the extra $6k for the diesel. Its great on gas (around 33-35 mpg), decent power out of the 5 cyl (177 hp), good torque. Definitely get it in a stick, much more fun to drive and significantly faster.

I'm almost 6'2" and its more than comfortable for me. Its got plenty of space and heated mirrors and seats are standard. Not to mention traction control and a limited slip differential will (hopefully) make it a good in the snow.

Great car for around $20k.

I just bought a Touareg, and it's one of best driving vehicles I've ever had. VW is killin' it right now.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

X2 on VW making great cars. Very well built and designed IMO. I have an 07 GTI and love it.

I put many kms on a 2002 golf, the golf & the jetta were the same platform ,the new cars feel EXACTLY the same to sit in as my 10yr old mk 4 did ... a very comfortable car to spend a lot of time in

with the adjustable steering wheel & seat that jacks up and down 4" you should be able to find comfort

I hear the dealer network is not so great down there especially if you have a diesel or is that just whiners whining??

jgb@etree Guest
    VW stealerships are hit or miss, but VWoA blows goat balls. If you get fucked by a dealership, don't hold your breath waiting for corporate to make shit right.

That said, a buddy just picked up a sportwagon for his wife, and has had nothing but great things to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    VW stealerships are hit or miss, but VWoA blows goat balls. If you get fucked by a dealership, don't hold your breath waiting for corporate to make shit right.

That said, a buddy just picked up a sportwagon for his wife, and has had nothing but great things to say about it.
    I got mine a dealer cost. Buying it was an extremely painless process. Props to VW of Medford, MA.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    I got mine a dealer cost. Buying it was an extremely painless process. Props to VW of Medford, MA.
    I almost bought a TDI Jetta Sportwagon from them. Instead I bought a 2003 Golf TDI with 116,000mi for $8,000. Would have went brand new except I beat up cars too much and didn't want to destroy a new car. Picking the car up tomorrow / having it inspected, as long as they aren't hiding a bunch of stuff I will buy it. If not, I may just go buy new. I really liked the car when I test drove it. I don't think you will have an issue with room in the drivers seat. I'm 6' and like to sit far away from the wheel and I could move the seat a good 6" further back.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Good deal. Never had a problem actually BUYING a VW, but most of the service departments are staffed by assclowns who can't be trusted with a wrench. I remember bringing a jetta into Nemer in Latham, NY for a coilpack recall, and got it back randomly misfiring on 2 of 6 cylinders because they forgot to bolt down the coilpacks.....

I owned VW's for a long time and the only VW dealer I ever found with decent service was Capital Cities in Glenmont, NY. I'm sure there are other good ones out there, they are just few & far between. Hopefully Medford is one of the good ones - otherwise I hope you're comfortable working on your own car (or have a good indy mechanic for non warranty stuff).

i'll speak up for a good vw srvc mgr here in portland (at dick hannah vw, formerly rey reece). he's above the board and thorough. [you still pay dealership pricing but at least the staff is somewhat worth it]

ptd, if you're tall, go sit it in...i had problems with the 2002 jetta wagon (i'm 6-5) but the passat wagon worked out for me...i believe the 2011 jetta wagons are bigger but not quite as big as the old passat wagon

Been trying to sell everyone I know on the Sportwagen (their spelling). Great little car. Offers a lot for relatively little.

Negatives - isn't AWD. Is no longer turbocharged (was an option up until 2009, iirc). If either of those is important/necessary, consider the Audi A3 or A4 Avant.

BTW, I own an A4 Avant and S4 Avant. Loads of space in both. Had an A3 as a loaner, and in the front, I have NO problems. Driven the Sportwagen, and had no problems up front...but my passengers would be dead sitting behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I almost bought a TDI Jetta Sportwagon from them. Instead I bought a 2003 Golf TDI with 116,000mi for $8,000. Would have went brand new except I beat up cars too much and didn't want to destroy a new car. Picking the car up tomorrow / having it inspected, as long as they aren't hiding a bunch of stuff I will buy it. If not, I may just go buy new. I really liked the car when I test drove it. I don't think you will have an issue with room in the drivers seat. I'm 6' and like to sit far away from the wheel and I could move the seat a good 6" further back.
    http://www.tdiclub.com/

if you don't have this link already

2003 is considered THE most reliable of the TDi's cuz its the last (and most refined )year of the ALH engine

BTW If you get the car DO instal an aftermarket skid plate cuz the oil pan is cast aluminium and there is only 4" of GC ... I have kacked 2 oilpans

Got a 11 TDI Sportwagon about 6 weeks ago. I love this car, plenty of room for a family of four and fun to drive too. Gas mileage has been great at about 500 miles per tank with mostly city driving.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

TECH TALK, jongs.

Dumb cunts.

I have a golf and am 6'4" and have no problems. I'm a skinny guy so I couldn't tell you regarding width but for length my 03 golf is great. I've put 420 000km on the tdi engine and love it!

I got one for cheap.

Taco: What did I tell you? Hot girl, Volkswagen Jetta. It's a law, like water or dinosaurs.
    I still call it The Jake.