Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: awkward....

"We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Lol... Riding is badass enough. Put on a fucking helmet, get yourself some good leathers and gloves and try not to get wrapped up in who's looking out for you and your pile of stupid.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Karma is a cruel bitch.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I'd say that guy made the exact point that he was trying to make: I get to choose if I want to be stupid enough to die.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I'd say that guy made the exact point that he was trying to make: I get to choose if I want to be stupid enough to die.
    Precisely. Hopefully it'll cause others to think about whether that's the point they're trying to make as well. I think most people in this camp think they're making a point about "Freedom" generally, without considering what exactly that means in this context.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

On a somewhat related subject. Don't assume just because you ride a HD you're going to score a beautiful woman to ride on the back. After witnessing scores of bikers in town over the weekend and their, what I assume are women, riding bitch... this notion of motorcycles attracting hot bitches is an urban legend. In fact, in my observation, the nicer the bike - all dressed out, custom paint - the uglier the woman is on back.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Ding Ding Ding.

I am personally very opposed to helmet laws, but I rarely even ride a bicycle without a helmet, let alone a motorcycle. Helmet laws are bad for evolution, if you're dumb enough to not wear a helmet, you should be removed from the gene pool for the sake of humanity.

I wish there was a better way to protest helmet laws, because I want to see them removed from the books, but I'll be damned if I'm going to hop on a bike without a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

And when easy rider doesn't poetically die an abrupt fiery end, instead lingering in a vegetative comatose state in intensive care for weeks while his family decides if they feel too guilty to pull the plug, to the tune of five or six figures a day, you will rail over the high cost of health care in America.

I have no problem with people being able to choose to do stupid things, I just wish people would take real responsibility for their choices. In CT you could opt out of the helmet law if you could prove sufficient insurance for the above.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Ding Ding Ding.

I am personally very opposed to helmet laws, but I rarely even ride a bicycle without a helmet, let alone a motorcycle. Helmet laws are bad for evolution, if you're dumb enough to not wear a helmet, you should be removed from the gene pool for the sake of humanity.

I wish there was a better way to protest helmet laws, because I want to see them removed from the books, but I'll be damned if I'm going to hop on a bike without a helmet.
    Yup.

I have a friend who thought he was a badass. Dude would ride in shorts and a wife beater all day, no helmet ever because he was a combat sicko in the marines and felt like this was little stuff after being shot at a billiondy times yadda yadda yadda. Rode like a total asshole too. I used to get into arguments with him about it all the time and even stopped riding with the kid. Well one day he's heading down to the beach with friends- stops at the CT border to take off his helmet. Ten minutes later he was skidding around on the pavement on his bare skin with no helmet at highway speeds. Dude's shoulders, elbows, hands, head and knees were ground up like hamburger. His ankle got shattered, and his kneecap was in pieces.

So yeah, badasses don't wear helmets and you can't tell them shit until they're sliding down the highway grinding their skin, bones and face off. By then it's a little late imo. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Wear that shit!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Same way with fireworks. The god-given right to blow yourself up shall not be infringed.

Saw the worst one of my career this weekend. You do not want to be "that guy".
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    And when easy rider doesn't poetically die an abrupt fiery end, instead lingering in a vegetative comatose state in intensive care for weeks while his family decides if they feel too guilty to pull the plug, to the tune of five or six figures a day, you will rail over the high cost of health care in America.

I have no problem with people being able to choose to do stupid things, I just wish people would take real responsibility for their choices. In CT you could opt out of the helmet law if you could prove sufficient insurance for the above.
    Quoted for truth...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

A bit of a thread jack, but I was going to post the OP's article, and ask why ride a Harley? They seem to completely suck at simple motoring tasks. A man from Kennewick killed himself only a week or so ago here because he couldn't negotiate the Cutthroat Lake curve that I do routinely at 75 MPH. The guy who was protesting apparently locked up his front brake and launched himself. Darwin award for sure.

It always completely sucks to be behind a group of these assholes after skiing because they all slow to 45-50 MPH on every curve, (the fun parts), and then accelerate en masse to 70-80 on the short passing straightaways. I'm always squeezing my car in their group after passing 5 or so, then waiting for the next spot to pass another 5 etc.

Why ride a fat piece of shit vehicle that can't even turn?

Dead dude answers my question I guess.
    Last edited by plugboots; 07-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Real rebels don't ever wear condoms, either.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just says he hit the brakes. I bet he skidded the rear and high sided.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    A bit of a thread jack, but I was going to post the OP's article, and ask why ride a Harley? They seem to completely suck at simple motoring tasks. A man from Kennewick killed himself only a week or so ago here because he couldn't negotiate the Cutthroat Lake curve that I do routinely at 75 MPH. The guy who was protesting apparently locked up his front brake and launched himself. Darwin award for sure.

It always completely sucks to be behind a group of these assholes after skiing because they all slow to 45-50 MPH on every curve, (the fun parts), and then accelerate en masse to 70-80 on the short passing straightaways. I'm always squeezing my car in their group after passing 5 or so, then waiting for the next spot to pass another 5 etc.

Why ride a fat piece of shit vehicle that can't even turn?

Dead dude answers my question I guess.
    We need a ballot initiative that makes it illegal for motorcyclists to convoy in groups bigger than one.

Also - your Harley doesn't sound nice. No matter how obnoxiously loud your pipes are, or how perilously slow to stalling you set the idle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Yup.

I have a friend who thought he was a badass. Dude would ride in shorts and a wife beater all day, no helmet ever because he was a combat sicko in the marines and felt like this was little stuff after being shot at a billiondy times yadda yadda yadda. Rode like a total asshole too. I used to get into arguments with him about it all the time and even stopped riding with the kid. Well one day he's heading down to the beach with friends- stops at the CT border to take off his helmet. Ten minutes later he was skidding around on the pavement on his bare skin with no helmet at highway speeds. Dude's shoulders, elbows, hands, head and knees were ground up like hamburger. His ankle got shattered, and his kneecap was in pieces.

So yeah, badasses don't wear helmets and you can't tell them shit until they're sliding down the highway grinding their skin, bones and face off. By then it's a little late imo. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Wear that shit!
    Was he enlisted while doing all of this?
    I don't know how the Marines do it, but I know the Army and Navy have very strict requirements for riding on and off base while enlisted (helmet, boots, gloves, long pants and shirts, reflective clothing), and from what I've seen most of those guys keep doing it after getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    We need a ballot initiative that makes it illegal for motorcyclists to convoy in groups bigger than one.
    That's just stupid. Safety in numbers works, and you barely ever see a group acting like assholes. Sure they could be blasting along at redline all day, but I'd rather see them use caution when going into turns than err on the side of being a fkn badass and getting the least experienced rider killed. Almost happened with my cousin and his crew- new guy was trying to keep up and lost it into the woods.

I do, however, think HDs are about the dumbest thing on the planet as someone who rides and has for their whole life. Costs twice as much as a Victory, is infinitely more shitty in respect to engineering and it's normal to have to rebuild your heads every few years. What is it, a $25k 2-stroke dirt bike? Fuck that. I want reliability, rideability and comfort with some style, not the admiration of fat grisly bikers and those that act like HD is the pinnacle, well they're just a fkn fanboy trying to justify them spending double the money on a bike that's slower, uglier and more expensive to keep running. That said, I love riding with my stepdad and his buddies- all of them have tons of dough into their HDs and think the bikes are hot shit. I love it when they get all racey with each other on the highway or the twisties... I let them get a hundred or so feet ahead and kick 'er down two gears... I try to make sure it's redlining when I blow by them like they're parked lol... I always try to joke with them and say something like "Man, I raced a victory last week and it was WAY faster than those things..." or the like. Then we go for a full day ride and I can't walk and they bust my balls back. It's a beautiful cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by WWCD View Post
    Was he enlisted while doing all of this?
    I don't know how the Marines do it, but I know the Army and Navy have very strict requirements for riding on and off base while enlisted (helmet, boots, gloves, long pants and shirts, reflective clothing), and from what I've seen most of those guys keep doing it after getting out.
    Worse, he was on leave and supposed to go back to Iraq. But you can't tell a badass anything! I'm not sure exactly what happened in the end, but he did actually get in a ton of trouble for it, that much I remember.

you barely ever see a group acting like assholes.
    They come out in noisy droves around here the first sunny days of summer. Mobile roadblocks. Almost as bad as the MAMILs but not as colorful.

The problem with the Darwin Award for idiots like this is that they are mostly past breeding age, and have therefore already spread their moron seed.

The world needs organ donors....

Worse, he was on leave and supposed to go back to Iraq. But you can't tell a badass anything! I'm not sure exactly what happened in the end, but he did actually get in a ton of trouble for it, that much I remember.
    Road rash from a motorcycle crash probably beats road rash from an IED. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Road rash from a motorcycle crash probably beats road rash from an IED. Just sayin'...

I know, but if you knew the kid you'd understand. I feel like some people are born to be something and this kid was a cornfed machine born to be a marine. He has the demeanor of a catcher's mit. Just unflappable- dude was a SO's dream. The guy loved being on the front lines and couldn't wait to get back to his SAW as wierd as that probably sounds. He just doesn't fit in real life. Now he has no choice.

Well, I saw a lot of dudes riding helmetless this weekend (CT), and, what kills me are the guys with no goggles. I'm sorry, but cool drugstore cheap wrap glasses are no defense against 60 mph of wind and bugs. Gotta be free, though. I guess.

BTW, a little off topic, but I did a tour at the HD factory in York PA recently, and the tricycle bike (my term) is one of the hottest selling items for them. Shows you what the demographics are. I gotta say, though, the Fatboy Lo is baddass. Not that I would ever buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Not that I would ever buy one.
    Obviously