Question Oh boy, Torn: WWMD?

Alright, I have Friday off. I would love to either ski or ride. With the snow amounts that are being talked about, boarding my be the only way to get thru the pow for me. I simply dont have the legs or the technique to ski pow deeper than 6" (and that is stretching it).

I would love to hit Alta with Natty who I have not seen for a while, as well as the rest of the Alta crew. HOWEVER, I do not in anyway hold this man back from getting his fix, as he has not been out this year. There are weekend days I could get out to ski with him after the storm too. Regardless, I would like to see my friend.

Then there is the fact that my wife is extremely uncomfortable at near 7.5+ months pregnant and it is New Years Eve. She also has the day off and I know would like to spend more time with me. With the MINI and working a lot to catch up and her falling asleep at 9 pm at the latest each night because she is so tired lately, we have not seen each other as much as we would like.

THEN there is the fact that I am sitting here typing this while still wearing my back brace. The chiro said yesterday after my exam and adjustment, "well, the disc is back in place, but the muscles in your back are still weak". So of course I asked, "Doc, is it looking good enough to ski or ride on Friday or this weekend for that matter?" Doc: "I can't tell you not to go, but I can tell you that you know where to come if your back gets hurt again." Me: "Is that a yes, I am cleared?" Doc rolls eyes as he has seen me plenty for sports and other injuries and says nothing and shakes his head. On the way out the door he said "have fun". On a side note, doc said a week ago I should be able to ski or board lightly in 3 weeks. So I am jumping it by two weeks if I go somewhere Friday to ski or ride.

I would hate to re-injure my back, so I am a bit concerned I may be jumping the gun.

I also have my pass at Beaver and would cost me nothing but a bit of gas to go up and ride or ski there even for a few hours, stopping if I get sore. (Back to leaving to play as my wife is home by herself on New Years Eve Day )

AND THEN there are two offers for New Years Eve plans. After seeing a horrible wreck the other day and how far along we are with our baby after a previous try, Erica has no desire to go out in the snow on a night when snow and people drinking and driving just scares the shit out of her and now me.
    These plans are pending and will contact the parties involved very soon.
    This really depends on the snow on the roads as she does not even want to be out there if it is slick, whether I drive or she does (which she said she does not want to at all).

I think I should be a good husband and father to be and hang with my wife and her preferences. She has been having periodic pains in her abdomen as well and that is a bit scary.

Maybe I am being selfish, maybe I can get somewhere on Sunday to ski or ride, maybe I am simply very stoked for this storm. I know there will be others. Maybe I am answering my own question.

WWMD?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Stay home with your wife.

People you want to see can come over to your house.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Hey Buzz,

Most guys I know tend to pack on some weight as they await the birth of their first child - I was heaviest of my life. That being said, skiing definitely takes it out of you, but I am not going to tell you what you want to hear, you need to ski some deep powder and get started on an increasing multi-glisse lifestyle. For me, making the transition back to skiing after exclusively snowboarding for seven years was difficult and humbling - it is also one of the best decision that I ever made.

Go for it. Rent/Borrow some mega-fats (i.e. 180 Atomic Heli-Stars) and go nail it. Ski like you board - less turning, more floating style straight lines and keep your hands out front - you'll be fine, man.

That's my 2 cents. At least you'll be enjoying pow - not me

Rock
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Take it from someone who has been married a lot longer than you...stay home. You have to acccumulate your points when you can.

BTW....there's no way in hell, w/o an MRI, that a chiropractor (or anyone) can tell that a "disc is back in place". Frankly, unless he viewed an MRI, he can't tell that ist out of place to begin with. (WTF does "out of place mean anyway???)

I'm not an anti chiro nut, they have their place and provide very beneficial services. But some of them go too far.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    Take it from someone who has been married a lot longer than you...stay home. You have to acccumulate your points when you can.

BTW....there's no way in hell, w/o an MRI, that a chiropractor (or anyone) can tell that a "disc is back in place". Frankly, unless he viewed an MRI, he can't tell that ist out of place to begin with. (WTF does "out of place mean anyway???)

I'm not an anti chiro nut, they have their place and provide very beneficial services. But some of them go too far.

True, on both accounts.

Basically we both came to the disc conclusion based on ROM, pain factor and a few other things. Without an MRI, true. But have had the same disc out before and when it goes back in, the pain is so much more bearable, ROM is way easier and it just feels better, like something is back in its place. Plus the numbness went away which means the pressure is gone on a nerve or disc or something. Some are quacks, some help. Mine helps, but I still go to an MD. Insurance at its best.

Basically it is a guess. I know Chiros are not MD's, but they can certainly help the pain and manipulate the spine to lessen pressure.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Home wins over Alta in this case.
    Your wife wants you there, take care of her.
    Go ride a couple of hours at the Beav, then come home and repeat the above.
    Repeat as needed for the next couple of months.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

I would ski nothing but groomers with a fucked up back, and Friday is going to be a pretty phat pow day.

Buzz, you have a pm...you know what you should do!
    you sketchy character, you

I didn't read your original query carefully at first, but want to reiterate something: unless your injury precludes it, go skiing. You will not build equity in your marriage by staying home now. When the baby arrives you will be needed at home far more - I mean, with the prevailing line of thinking you won't be skiing/boarding again this season.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Stall
    My Advice to you Davis, underpromise and overdeliver. Secret to a successful marriage.
    and not passing out drunk on the couch while mylady works til midight so she cant ake my ass up when she gets home

yo check you PMbox duddder

or answer yer phone
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy
    yo check you PMbox duddder

or answer yer phone

What number you calling? Phone is right here.

PM back atcha.

Got off the phone with wife and told her I was not skiing Friday and was going to spend time with her. She said "thank you, I really did not want you to take off Friday, it is New Years."

Later in the conversation:

If you want to go somewhere on Sunday, do it. I just wanted you home on New Years.

So I get the best of both worlds.

After fucking up my back years ago and not letting it rest properly....i'd say give it some time.

there will always be other powpow days and if you don't ski with the buds this time...there's always next time..which could be later this year..or the next..or five years from now....maybe 10. Maybe you won't see them ever again if you stay home

But if you do stay home and hang with the wife, that is bonus points for something like a better pow day, a new set of skis, a refreshed back, a long loving relationship, a umm , ummmmm, ummmmmmmmmm....

Wow the skiing was good today

oops, beat me to posting.

Want the best of both worlds? Bring the ladt friend to Basin and let her chill with all the other ladies chillin' in Earls lounge, reading a fancy book near the fancy fireplace, eating fancy meals...while you ski and check in every other run. Best of both worlds right there man.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Woodsy -

Pretty funny that you remember that from the Gondola. It was great partying and briefly skiing with you.

59 degrees in St. Louis today
    Mohandas Gandhi

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Stall
    I mean, with the prevailing line of thinking you won't be skiing/boarding again this season.

No, she is simply feeling the blues at this point in time and I feel I should be there. It is New Years and I had split for the MINI the whole weekend. I think she is being more than fair. Just not Friday. She said by all means to head Sunday.

Maybe I have been on the "doomed to never ski or ride again" path too much lately as I am getting a bit stressed and just wanting to make sure it is all good, worrying about petty stuff and going overboard with the worrying. I need to get out of that mentality and was thinking the same thing you brought up yesterday driving home from work. My thoughts turned to how much fun it will be to get my daughter on the snow for the first time.

Thanks for the reality check KS! You are no dummy, that is for sure. Hope to make some turns with ya one of these days.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stoysluttie1
    After fucking up my back years ago and not letting it rest properly....i'd say give it some time.

Want the best of both worlds? Bring the ladt friend to Basin and let her chill with all the other ladies chillin' in Earls lounge, reading a fancy book near the fancy fireplace, eating fancy meals...while you ski and check in every other run. Best of both worlds right there man.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

dude. skiing is fun an all, but fuck, you're talking about a lift served pow day! wtf!
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save