Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    With a lens set in manual mode, ff you hold down the focusing button (whether the shutter half-press of the back/AF-ON button) while manually focusing, the focus point in the viewfinder blinks red when it achieves focus. Not sure if it works with full-time manual lenses, but worth a try?
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    That's pretty sexy. But you still have to use live view. What would be awesome was if they could put that technology into a digital viewfinder. THAT would be love in my eyes.
    FWIW, there is only the rear lcd on a nex. This could be yet another advantage of sony's new SLT cameras with EVF's. Watch for this on the A77....
    This is the worst pain EVER!

All of them. I only have a 7d.

EDIT - Shit, after rereading your first post, I misunderstood what you meant. Thought you said DOF not FOV, My bad.
    Aha. Yeah 85mm really is a decent length on the crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    With a lens set in manual mode, ff you hold down the focusing button (whether the shutter half-press of the back/AF-ON button) while manually focusing, the focus point in the viewfinder blinks red when it achieves focus. Not sure if it works with full-time manual lenses, but worth a try?
    On the 7D in particular or Canon cameras in general? Is this true with any manual focus lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    On the 7D in particular or Canon cameras in general? Is this true with any manual focus lens?
    My 40D and 5D2 both do this with all AF lenses set to MF mode. And I know it works on AF lenses where the AF is busted so MF is the only way, so I think it should work with full-time MF lenses as well.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Just tried it and no bueno. Worth a shot for sure! I think that is the reason people are chipping these so they do get focus confirmation. The Nikon versions have the chip (at least the 35 does) and I read people are buying those and using a Nikon to EOS adapter to get focus confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    FWIW, there is only the rear lcd on a nex. This could be yet another advantage of sony's new SLT cameras with EVF's. Watch for this on the A77....
    aghh shit. I thought you were talking about the SLT's, not the nex. For a second I did a double-take and said "no fucking viewfinder"???? I don't speak Sony too well as you can see
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

I got one of those 42m to EOS adapters with the chip, but it only works maybe 10% of the time with the 40 year old lens I've got on there. Might be because I suck, might be because the adapter sucks or something else. It really seems to have trouble when doing infinite focus.

Since we are talking about this, my 35mm prime on my crop body is actually taking pictures like it was a 56mm? and my 55mm is 88mm, and my 135mm is 216mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Since we are talking about this, my 35mm prime on my crop body is actually taking pictures like it was a 56mm? and my 55mm is 88mm, and my 135mm is 216mm?
    If we are talking field of view (read sensor coverage), then yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

I don't speak Sony too well as you can see
    I'll forgive you. Not everyone can be perfect... lol.

FWIW, what the nex can do given it's size is killer. APS-C sensor and pretty much everything a DSLR will do, (albiet without the viewfinder) in a camera that can fit in your pocket. It's a great light weight hiker option. I thought that camera should have been pop photo's camera of the year over the a55. It just needs some more lenses (they are coming, slowly).

OTOH, there are tons of MF adapters out there for it and this is one reason sony did this firmware update. People can talk shit about them all they want, but it bodes well that Sony is listening to the requests of it's users.

Sorry for the hijack, but I think we had the original topic flushed out already...

Random Shots I took this summer with my Rokinon 14mm 2.8

I have the 14 and 85mm. There is a 24 F/1.4 coming out any day now apparently, and that will definitely be my next purchase.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

March...

Anyone here shoot with the Rokinon 35?. I think that is on my short list, but I'm curious to here what users say. A lot of reviews say its as sharp as the Canon 35 1.4.

Anyone have one?

The 24 sounds like a really interesting option. It'd be nice to have something wide when I don't want to lug the 24-70.

I absolutely looooove my recently acquired Rok 85, can't wait to get my hands on the others... The Rok 35 and 14 both look amazing, a 24 would fill in nicely, but I really really want a 50mm!!! What's out there that fills that gap?

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    I absolutely looooove my recently acquired Rok 85, can't wait to get my hands on the others... The Rok 35 and 14 both look amazing, a 24 would fill in nicely, but I really really want a 50mm!!! What's out there that fills that gap?
    What system do you shoot? There are so many good vintage manual focus 50mms out there for not very much money that I think Samyang doesn't really see the need to make one. I see Nikon 50 1.4 AI-Ss on KEH for as little as $89, and even the EX+ condition ones are less than $200. If you're on Canon you can get an adapter and shoot almost anything, and I'll bet there are great 50s from other systems for even less.

Aside from that, even a brand new autofocus 50 1.4 is a similar price to the Samyang lenses, around $360 for the Canon and the older (but still in production) Nikon version.

www.tonystreks.com

still better than $1400 for the Canon 24L!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

For sure, but I'm just thinking I really wish I would have picked up the 35mm Rokinon on Amazon for $375 the other day. $700 is out of my budget for awhile.

www.tonystreks.com

I wish someone put up a PSA because I would have bought that shit instantly. Seriously my 85 is my second cheapest lens next to my 50 and is by far my favoritest!
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

advres... what a shot. for a candid 'street 85' especially. simply awesome photo.

Quote Originally Posted by pointedem View Post
    advres... what a shot. for a candid 'street 85' especially. simply awesome photo.
    Not sure which you are talking about (I'll assume the old man). Thank you though. It is probably my favorite picture I have ever taken. While not at all very technically challenging it means the most and shows more emotion than anything else I have taken.

BTW super... love the church shot.

I might have a new favorite lens and it only cost $250. Grabbed a Rokinon 8mm FE off of ebay. It just showed up tonight so haven't really had much time to play with it but so far I'm really surprised at the sharpness and quality of the pics coming off of this thing. Video looks nice too.

^^ Post them here.

Here's a couple from today: