Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    From this list Puerto Rico sounds like where I would go.

FWIW, somebody mentioned FL, I had to travel to Ft. Lauderdale sans car for a conference. For me it was a tottally doable town without a car or bike (I did almost rent one though). Conference during day, then walk out to the beach or pool for a few hours, then walk to get dinner and drinks.
    Half my day was occupied though and it wasn't the most fun place ever (it was pretty good though), but it was easy to get around on foot, bus and water taxi. Only took a cab to and from the airport
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

you don't have to buy a car, but getting your license would sure open up some options for you.

you have no license and no passport. what do you use for a photo ID?
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Run down to the S. Boston fed court house and snap some pics of Whitey. He should be there in about an hour. Go
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    you don't have to buy a car, but getting your license would sure open up some options for you.

you have no license and no passport. what do you use for a photo ID?
    You can lose your driving privilege, but still have a picture license for ID.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    If you were to go, which would you recommend? Seriously considering this. JB flights are stupid cheap and they do fly into both airports. Just checked on the passport thing and you are correct... didn't think that was the case!
    Since you're car-less, probably SJ; I assume there would be more transportation options there, and the city is cool in it's own right. You could even hop over to Viaques.

Personally, I liked staying in Ponce better - a little more chill, and good access to the south and west. Wouldn't go that route without having a vehicle however.
    I'm taking myself to a dirty part of town, where all my troubles can't be found...

Fly to San Juan >> get on puddle Jumper >> Fly to Culebra >> drink many rum drinks while chilling in a hidden gem

PR, St. Thomas, or Honolulu
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

are you kidding me, FL in the summer? ewwwww. my list would be

1) bike,fish, kayak, windsurf in the PNW or Tahoe or something

2) WSOP @ Vegas (perfect place for no car, if you like booze, loose women, poker)

3) rent a cabin in the woods somewhere with copious amounts of weed (ADK, VT, PA, etc)

4) chase tornadoes in the midwest, help out/adopt a dog in Joplin MO, or go rafting in the flooded towns in ND

5) get pilot lessons and/or skydive

*note: make sure your insurance is up to date before picking one

It looks like it's shaping up to be a really nice weekend to hit the Delaware and Maryland beaches. PR and USVI sound intriguing, too.

The sun should return to New England by Sunday. I would buy a copy of A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin, take the Greyhound to Hyannis, then hitch--you can do this with success on the outer Cape--to anywhere between Chatham and Race Point. Next I would find suitable accommodations--a room in P-Town, tent site at Paine's Campground in Wellfleet (PM for directions to secret kettle pond) or something similar. Take the week reading the book in the sun--it's almost a thousand pages--and come back a new man. Bible.

Since you live in the east, go west. Santa Barbara or San Diego are good choices.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Why no passport or license? Are you?:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Why no passport or license? Are you?:
    Because my parents couldn't afford to take us anywhere and frankly, I haven't been able to afford a trip over seas in my adult years until now. Plan on getting one but I want to go on a trip NOW. The license is because I have made my mistakes and am paying for it.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Sorry... not trying to pry. (And wasn't serious.) Just addressing the "elephant in the room".

Most of us are fortunate to have escaped similar fates. (At least I am.) I was 25 before I went to the carib.

The license is because I have made my mistakes and am paying for it.
    Link please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The one and only reason I asked. If I had a car and license I would do what I wanted but due to mitigating circumstances I can't.
    How many dui's?

Just booked 7 days/6 nights in San Juan leaving next Thursday. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Ohh, and I searched pretty much every flight/hotel booking sites. By far the cheapest route to go was through JetBlue themselves. Priceline was the best of all the normal ones, but I got the same trip for $200 less booking everything through JetBlue and got a shit ton of reward points. Score!

I think you mentioned a need for sun.....so I second the notions of Puerto Rico or Hawaii.

PR's got a great local bus system, beatiful beaches, interesting villages, mountains in the jungle, and the prices at resturants, B&Bs and guesthouses are very reasonable compared to mainland U.S.

Plus great diving...not sure about surfing.

A lot of places will rent bikes, so transport shouldn't be a problem.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

The Hotel El Convento in old town SJ was super nice, with a really good tapas bar. If you find yourself in that neck of the woods...

^I'm staying in Condado so it is ~2.5 miles away. OSJ is a place I will check out. As well as Tipps suggestion of catching a day or two at Culebra.

Thanks everyone. Super excited for next week! Also, any other tips/advice is more than welcome. Leaving Thursday so there is more than enough time for this thread to fill up with "must sees".

My grandparents went on a vacation in San Juan sometime in the late 70s to early 80s (IIRC). My grandmother talked (favorably), what seems liked daily or at least weekly, about Old San Juan until the day she died in ~Y2K. She had been to a lot of places in her 81 years, but for some reason, she really liked that one. I can't hear the words San Juan or OSJ without thinking about her.

So yeah, I'd say it's probably worth checking out.

Have a good time man, enjoy the chicas and rum based libations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Great choice. It should be fun, but if you get into any trouble, PM me. My buddy builds all the jails there. (It might take a year or two, but eventually, I might be able to get you the plans...)

Not to mention his sister makes Jennifer Lopez look ugly.

got her number?

Thank me later ...

El Conquistador

No nightlife per se, but great amenities and a cool setting. If you're looking for some "me time," this is the place to go. It aint cheap, but they're so big you can probably beat them up on price or a room upgrade. From there you can do a day trip to Culebra via puddle hopper out of Diego Jimenez Torres Airport. Then again, Culebra for a week would also be cool. I've done El Con twice and Culebra once as a day trip. The beaches on Culebra are retarded. No one there and the whitest sand you've ever seen. I'd go back in a minute. Finally, there's rainforest near El Con that is another cool day trip although you'd have to hire a cab to get there.