Time ATAC XS pedals too stiff - WWMD?

Just replaced my old SPD mountain pedals with Time ATAC XS that I got off Chainlove. Not sure why, except that they seemed like a deal and people I ride with kept saying how great Time pedals were (and I'm a sucker for new gear that feels like an upgrade without costing a lot).

Thing is, I've got an artificial left leg and I always kept my left SPD pedal's release dialed pretty far down so that I could pull it out in a pinch (since I don't have an ankle, it requires me to twist the whole leg, which gives me less leverage and takes longer to get out). The Times are SUPER stiff right now; I think I've got them set to the lowest retention setting - they seem to only have three settings, not continuously variable like the SPDS - and I still can't get my left foot out of there, or even clip it in, without a lot of effort.

So, my questions: will they break in and get significantly less stiff if I stick with 'em? Is there a hack I should do to loosen them (I considered just bending the spring back a bit with pliers)? Or should I sell 'em on Craigslist and go back to SPDs?
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Try and score some worn out cleats from a friend, as the cleats wear, they get easier to get into and out of. Or you could try filing the cleats down some. Could be hard to control how much retention you lose that way though.

If you don't know anyone locally I'll send ya some, no charge.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I've always said whatever works for you w/re: to pedals... I don't know if they can be dialed down or not... I'm sure you'll hear plenty from the collective though.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Consider the fact that Crank Bros pedals have float like Times but release with much less tension. Perhaps too little tension sometimes....

I always disliked the shimanos because I released too often, even with the tension cranked to max. I like Times for that same reason; they don't release very easily (although they do release predictably).

It might just be that Times aren't the right choice for you.

If you plan to file or dremel them, here is what they look like when they are "worn in"

been riding Time's forever, when I get home i'll see if I have any worn cleats. You can have them if you want them
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Time cleats have two different orientations that will change the release and amount of float. One side is a greater angle than the other and you can choose by switching sides. Mine are set for the greater float/release angle and have the letters G&R on my left shoe and D&L on the right. Look in the installation guide and see which way your's are oriented. They will become easier to release from as the springs wear.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Thanks for the advice and cleat offers, everyone. DaHeel, I checked the orientation and I believe I have them in the easiest to release position. I think I'm going to try them out for a few more rides and see if they settle in and/or I get more used to them. If not, I may take one of you up on the offer of used cleats. Thanks again!

Off topic, but have you ever pulled any good bar tricks with that artificial leg?
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    Off topic, but have you ever pulled any good bar tricks with that artificial leg?
    Once many years ago, I thought I'd be cool and throw a sharp knife hard into my artificial foot (which was in a shoe and I was wearing pants, so any onlooker who didn't know I had an artificial leg would think that I was badass and didn't even flinch with a knife in my foot). I nearly severed the tip of my finger throwing it, and of course missed the foot entirely. At that point, I gave up on bar tricks.

I've been looking for a good halloween costume that would utilize it, though. Any ideas are appreciated. Pirate's tricky because it's a pretty specialized piece of equipment and thumping around on a wooden peg would be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeel View Post
    Time cleats have two different orientations that will change the release and amount of float. One side is a greater angle than the other and you can choose by switching sides. Mine are set for the greater float/release angle and have the letters G&R on my left shoe and D&L on the right. Look in the installation guide and see which way your's are oriented. They will become easier to release from as the springs wear.
    Ditto. I have the opposite set up and even when new they release with very little twisting needed.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

I would agree with everything posted so far, but mine became a lot easier with cleat wear. I have them in the easier to release config, and mine are at least as worn as the ones in pisteoff's pics above. My riding buddy and his wife literally take their new TIME cleats and scrape them on the driveway or a good rock before they ever try to ride on them. They have no desire to "break in" the new cleats since they do so much better with some controlled wear and tear. The cleats aren't too expensive, and they are tough as shit, so put take your shoe to the curb/rock/driveway and beat the shit out of 'em. That should help. I love mine for all of the reasons above, and on the occasions when I get dirt/mud/shit in them, they still click in with no trouble and no change in retention abilities. How did you unclip with the SPDs? Turn your whole leg at the hip? Knee into top tube? Just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics/leverages that you would require to think if there is a better way with those pedals. Mine definitely had a learning curve before they felt automatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Hey Pegleg, try lubing the shit out the cleat and interface area on the pedal with triflow or something too. I've done this in the past as general maintenance and found retention drastically reduced until I cleaned it off and stomped around in the dirt a lot.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I had time road pedals and I gave up on them so now I am all shimano spd even on the road bike

many years ago (~10), i recall a bike shop advertising "pre-worn-in time cleats". basically, they took a dremel or similar to grind down the cleats a bit for those who didn't want to wait until it happened naturally.

as said above, you can grind yours down to look like the pic. also, consider just walking on the cleats over uneven, rocky surfaces, if that's an option for you.

it shouldn't take much.

failing that, i may have some old time cleats to send you.