Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The 661 Pro Knee/Shin Guards look like they might have promise. Sort of integrates the knee gaitors trainnvain mentioned into a single unit pad. Anyone try these yet?
    Montani Semper Liberi

There is a sale on huck and roll right now...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Fox launch knee/shin are awesome. wore them up at whistler. no movement and super quick on and off, good protection.

and once again shoulder pads saved me a broken clavicle at whistler as I hit another tree like a linebacker going after a running backs legs.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Admit it. You were just distracted by the pain train coming up behind you fast.

Or maybe my hacking just distracted you.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Admit it. You were just distracted by the pain train coming up behind you fast.

Or maybe my hacking just distracted you.
    I wasn't distracted but you know damn well I was 'pushing it' so you wouldn't catch me.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

This thread just reminded me that I recently ended up with a brand new (in package) pair of Fox Launch Knee/Shin guards that don't fit. They are L/XL size. If anyone would like them just PM me so we don't hijack this thread. Thinking $30 shipped in the US, less for a SLC local.

BTW - really liking the short version of these pads for less gnar riding. Still fine tuning adjustment. Had some slipping on one and I think I over tightened on this last ride, but they are light and very comfortable. I'll have the fit dialed in the next ride or two. Love how quick they are to put on. Way easier with your shoes on then the full wrapping soft pads that are all the rage these days.

I would have to say the Fox Titan Race. I have had little issues with them. Also the 661 Veggie is pretty good too.

I've had good luck with 661 Kyle Straight pads for staying-in-place knee-only protection.

All great info list here. Really, it all comes down to how they fit your knees and legs. A lot of the guys I ride with wear the 661 Kyle Straight's and test them frequently. Their d30 foam option (about double the price), is a great option if you have the coin. I wear the 661 race knee/shin guard and have wrecked in them a few times to great success. But they fit me well, and what fits me - may not if you. A few other guys wear Fox and like them.

If it were me, I'd order the 661 knees, 661 race knee/shin and the Fox units from HucknRoll and see what fits the best and send the others back. Otherwise, go make friends with your LBS and try 'em all on. Protection is sort of like ski boots; get what fits.

What are people liking these days for a full shin/knee guard for dh? I have been using the Race Face ones for a long time, but they are shot and I don't think the knee protection is very good. I use the 661 Kyle Straits for trail riding, so these would be for dh only. Heat isn't much of a concern. Real low profile isn't either - I don't want something like the Fox launch. I saw some POCs up in Whistler that looked very protective, but I haven't seen them anywhere in the US to try them on.

Don't and i repeat DON't use the POC's. They look good but as soon as you crash they move. I have a nice scar from where my knee was turned to hamburger by loose over hard when i went down in a corner. The pad just twisted on impact. I figures it may have been user error so i tightened the crap outta them. Well i know also have a wicked 4" scar on my shin because my pedal filleted it open UNDER the pad. WTF.

I have found the pads that you have slide your leg through without a shoe and then strap down twist a lot less. Like these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/!QEeR!ca9tG...medium=organic

Fox launch..... dont move on you and good pro

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TGR Forums
    That fly seems to like you!

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I usually just ride with knee pads (661 Kyle Straight), and rarely have any complaints. For the rare occasion where I feel like I need shin protection I still use the knee pads and just through some Lizard Skin shin guards on. That combo works perfect, doesn't move at all.

I also use 661 kyle strait, really like em alot. I do more all mountain so I still pedal alot and I enjoy the protection, stability, and range of motion they provide.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using TGR Forums
    "South Dakota is for lovers."

I alternate between POC Bone and POC Joint depending on the weather. Super comfy.
    Sometimes I feel so good, I gotta scream
    She said Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
    She said, she said, I swear to god she said...
    My memory is muddy what's this river that I'm in?
    New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna swim

you don't have hockey gear to ride in?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

http://pro-tec.net/gravity-knee-pad-bike.php
    I rave about these knee pads. Hard shell, come down just above mid calf.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Looking at this thread reminded me to wash the stinky, sweaty smell out of my knee pads, haven't done that since last year.

For full coverage, another vote for Fox Launch.
    For everyday, knee only, I bought a pair of Troy Lee KG 5400s this summer. Light, stay in place, and reasonably cool.

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=105&id=18384
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    For full coverage, another vote for Fox Launch.
    For everyday, knee only, I bought a pair of Troy Lee KG 5400s this summer. Light, stay in place, and reasonably cool.

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=105&id=18384
    After watching a high speed crash into the backside of a double and seeing the Launch knee pads just pop right open because of a side impact to them I won't be buying those anytime soon. I'm looking for a full knee/shin dh pad and one that has a more secure placement then the Launch.

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    Don't and i repeat DON't use the POC's. They look good but as soon as you crash they move. I have a nice scar from where my knee was turned to hamburger by loose over hard when i went down in a corner. The pad just twisted on impact. I figures it may have been user error so i tightened the crap outta them. Well i know also have a wicked 4" scar on my shin because my pedal filleted it open UNDER the pad. WTF.

I have found the pads that you have slide your leg through without a shoe and then strap down twist a lot less. Like these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/!QEeR!ca9tG...medium=organic
    Which POC pads did you have the problem with? I probably will end up going with the new Race Faces that you linked, but was hoping for some other options I hadn't come across yet.

this is a cheap fix and will help just about anything stay in place.

Only issue is you need some clothe or something on the backside so it doesnt stick to your legs.

Theres a reason every hockey player uses this on their shin pads.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Which POC pads did you have the problem with? I probably will end up going with the new Race Faces that you linked, but was hoping for some other options I hadn't come across yet.
    I had these:

The Bone VPD Knee/Shin combo

Quote Originally Posted by 131crew View Post
    Some knee pads designed for skiing actually work pretty well for aggressive XC/AM riding when you just want a little something something. They allow a mad range of comfortable movement. Both of these have rigid bottom calf straps and don't migrate at all. I prefer the ArcTeryx ones, but the BD's have more coverage above the knee joint. Wouldn't use them for full blown DH.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...eesis-kneepad/

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx...ries/Knee-Caps

That's funny, I just finished a post recommending lightweight MTB knee pads for telemarking. I think they work much better
    than either of those for skiing.

Bumping this back up. Looking for a lighter weight flexible pad for XC/AM riding. Had a few minor incidents in the past few weeks that's got me wanting a pair for some of the more techy stuff around here since I'm apparently prone to go over the bars and bang my knees into my stem/top tube repeatedly.

Anyone try the POC VPD 2.0s or the new 661 EVO D30s? How are these things supposed to feel when they're on? I wear CrashPads when skiing and after the first 3 minutes, you don't even know they exist until you wreck. Any knee pads that fall into that category?
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    Just got these for XC/AM riding:

http://www.raceface.com/guards/legs/ambush-knee/

I like that they go on without taking shoes off. And looks like bomber knee protection

However, having second thoughts if they are overkill or going to be too hot ... or so bulky I might just leave them in the trunk.

vitalmtb says they are

... which has me thinking that they are more DH/Enduro oriented than suitable for XC/Enduro?

Anybody ride non-DH with them for a few hours at a time?

Just bought, tags still attached ... they might be heading straight back for something more wearable and lighter ...

Attachment 156002
    I tried those on and they were pretty comfortable (in the store) but not sure I'd wear them up on my knees all day (other than the bike park). I ended up going for the next model down (in terms of protection) http://www.raceface.com/guards/legs/indy-knee/ - these are easily comfortable to wear for long periods of time and generally stay up and I have thick legs. Protection hasn't been tested yet, but this is my first year so I'm pretty slow outside of the bike park. I'm thinking about buying beefier stuff for the park to be honest, as I see that as a different level of risk then pedaling trails on the north shore and Squamish given my skill level.