Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Currently looking at the Dainese Trail Skins, Troy Lee 5400, POC VPD 2.o and POC Air. I have fairly skinny calves, I'm a non-aggressive rider and I'd prefer to just leave them on for the whole ride rather than take on and off. Any updated thoughts from the users here? I can get a deal on the POCs which brings them more in line price wise.
    I'm really happy with my POC Airs, but at first there was a rough break in period where I was getting pinched in the back of my knees to the point where there was a pea sized raw spot where the skin had all rubbed off after every ride. I made some adjustments over time and started wearing them higher up on my leg than how I originally started, and now that problem doesn't affect me anymore. They are super lightweight and you can actually feel air flowing through the padding to your knees while you're pedaling. My typical after work ride starts with a 30 minute climb, but on longer weekend trail rides they're also great and way cooler than my last pair of Kali Aaszis. They do not slip for me, but I feel like with knee pads every pair is going to be different for everyone given body types and how you move while on the bike. I think I got mine off BikeBling for $65 back in April.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I may need some type of calf adjustment as I have one calf that is currently way smaller than the other. Past experience tells me that it will take a year to come back to full size even it's full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I may need some type of calf adjustment as I have one calf that is currently way smaller than the other. Past experience tells me that it will take a year to come back to full size even it's full strength.
    I agree with Dunfee that the elastic straps do leave something to be desired. With a little crafty mod work, you could make one strap shorter pretty easily. You'd just need to remove the rubber tab on the end of one, shorten the strap and re attach the rubber tab with some hot glue.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I pedal with my POC VPD's all the time and never notice them.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I pedal with my POC VPD's all the time and never notice them.
    I really don't like riding with knee pads. After I got a pair of POC VPDs, I can pedal all day and forget I'm wearing pads. They're pricey, but they work.

Only pad I've REALLY not noticed while peddling around are the Leatt Airflex. Kind of look like g forms. Very light with more front of knee protection and super thin.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Knee pads I've tried:
    POC VPD 2.0s: hated them. They're heavy, stiff, and don't breath at all. They sit in my bin as loaner pads for now, but I will likely sell them.
    TLD KG5400: pretty good. They're light, decent protection, and weren't super hot. I followed their size chart and got a small (should have got a medium), which restricted range of motion a bit, so I didn't like to wear them while pedaling. They also don't have much lateral protection. I did like the hole at the back of the knee - less pinching and more breathing. Stitching is coming out in a few places after about 200 miles of use.
    G-forms: favorite light-mid duty pad I've tried. They're very popular around here (I see them a lot). The breath very well (I've worn them for up to 4 hours pedaling in 80 degree heat), and don't restrict movement at all. These are the first pads I've worn that I can put on at the truck and not touch until I get back to it. Decent lateral coverage around the knee itself but not the upper shin. My biggest complaint is the sleeve material bunches a bit at the back of the knee, which is slightly uncomfortable. If they had a hole at the back similar to the TLDs, they'd be amazing. I haven't had any good crashes yet to test their protection, but dropping to my knees from standing on hardwood floor, they seem fine.
    Race Face Flank: picked them up on sale for a pair of heavy duty pads, haven't used them yet. They feel good trying them on. A big draw was the ability to put them on without taking my shoes off. They feel a bit more flexible than the POCs.

Love my gforms for trail and fox launch pro knee/shin for the bike park. Both have held up well and performed excellent in several good crashes.

Any updates? Time to get some pads I can leave on and pedal in.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

G forms or I really like the new Leatt air ones. Super loggt
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    POC VPD 2.0s: hated them. They're heavy, stiff, and don't breath at all.
    I like them just fine. Don't even notice the weight at all and they conform nicely to your knees once they warm up a bit. They're also burly enough to save your knees from a hard strike. Pretty sure they've saved me at least one broken patella.

posted some new 661 knee pads FS in gear swap
    just knees/ not shins but wanted to xpost in case there's any interest
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...body-armor-NWT

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    God damn, I wanted so badly to buy those pads from you! There's really just one problem: I don't think mine will ever wear out! I fucking love those 661 Evos.
    My wife hung hers up because she hits her shins a lot. Switched to the POC VPD shin/knee after trying on 3 other brands. The POC pads were 1000x better than all other options.

Also been having fantastic experience with the Fox Launch Enduro for trail riding. Stays on. No irritation. Protects well enough for less downhilly stuff.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Do G-forms run tiny? I order some to try out and even the larges could almost be worn as elbow pads, and I've got skinny little arms.

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I'd be all over those Evos if you had my size.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I'd be all over those Evos if you had my size.
    Yea they were race winnings and you know how they always give out the weirdest sizes for prizes.
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Any updates? Time to get some pads I can leave on and pedal in.
    7 iDP Controls are the best I've found yet.

Check out the new Dakine Slayer knee pad. Best pad I've run in awhile. We did a lot of R & D on them and I think we nailed it.

I'm waiting to find the new 7idp flex wrap, can't find for sale yet though

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Do G-forms run tiny? I order some to try out and even the larges could almost be worn as elbow pads, and I've got skinny little arms.
    Somewhat. I do a medium elbow and large knee.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    I'm waiting to find the new 7idp flex wrap, can't find for sale yet though
    http://www.amazon.com/7iDP-7005-05-5.../dp/B017P3J8NY

talking about this one

http://7protection.com/product/flex-knee-shin/

the shin pad is removable and you stay with a wrap style flex pad, so can carry up and not bother removing shoes to put them at the top