Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Bumping this back up. Looking for a lighter weight flexible pad for XC/AM riding. Had a few minor incidents in the past few weeks that's got me wanting a pair for some of the more techy stuff around here since I'm apparently prone to go over the bars and bang my knees into my stem/top tube repeatedly.

Anyone try the POC VPD 2.0s or the new 661 EVO D30s? How are these things supposed to feel when they're on? I wear CrashPads when skiing and after the first 3 minutes, you don't even know they exist until you wreck. Any knee pads that fall into that category?
    I have these pads and they are awesome for what you describe: http://www.bikemag.com/gear/tested-t...0-knee-guards/

For what it's worth I have both the Ambush and Indy knees from RF. Definitely more comfortable to pedal in the Indys - but I still don't like them on my knees for long climbs due to the sweat build up so I find myself pushing them down to my ankles.

Which if I was wearing the Ambush I would just take them off - which to me is a million times better feeling than having pads around the ankles. I've even managed to take them off while pedaling and then wrapped them to my top tube or middle of the handlebars - handy when you forget and then don't feel like stopping.

I don't notice the extra bulk of the ambush when going downhill. I prefer them to the Indys for where/what I tend to ride (Vancouver - Whistler corridor but no park riding)

I've yet to test either pair in major crashes.

Just picked up a pair of these and they're titties for pedaling, seems like all day XC rides would be a pleasure. They ventilate REALLY well and seem to provide a decent level of protection, especially for as light as they are. Haven't crash tested them yet but certainly more robust than the D3O ones, more comfotable too, and much better side protection. I measured small on thier sizing chart but only medium were available. Glad I went that way because if the velcro doesn't totally overlap than the spikey side is gonna be on your skin. As it is the fit has a bit of room but they stay put really well with the silicone gripper strips top and bottom, and once the velcro is set you don't have to undo it, you can just slip them on and off. Really nice, really airy set of pads, they pretty much dissapear as soon as you start pedaling. Not the level of protection of my Kyle Straights, but way better for pedaling. Highly recommend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb10745189.jpg 
Views:	1834 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	156093
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

beaterdit - When buying those Dainese, did you compare them to the IXS Trail Flow? Thats the closest I've seen to what I'm looking for in a pad but nobody carrys the D's around here.

I didn't, never tried the iXS but have heard good things. I ordered the Dainese sight unseen. Got some more miles in these and they're the shit. So comfy, light, and airy.

Beater,
    Where'd you find the Dainese pads? I'm only seeing them in stock at CRC, which is a great option unless they show up and end up being a shitty fit.
    Definitely looking for something I can pedal uphill in since I've never seen a bike park and even my downhill oriented trails have a bunch of pedaling in the middle. I feel like right now it's between the Dainese Trail Skins, 661 Evo and the Raceface Ambush. Goal is to buy 'em all in a couple different sizes and keep the winner.

Picked up some Kali aazis pads this year and I'm really liking them so far. Pretty much disappear after 10 mins of pedaling. We'll see how they do in the summer heat, but they're really well ventilated for how burly they are. I've taken a few spills onto rocks and the pads stayed put and I walked away with zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Beater,
    Where'd you find the Dainese pads? I'm only seeing them in stock at CRC, which is a great option unless they show up and end up being a shitty fit.
    Definitely looking for something I can pedal uphill in since I've never seen a bike park and even my downhill oriented trails have a bunch of pedaling in the middle. I feel like right now it's between the Dainese Trail Skins, 661 Evo and the Raceface Ambush. Goal is to buy 'em all in a couple different sizes and keep the winner.
    I ordered through my local shop from their supplier (BTI?). I tried to order small and medium but they had no smalls so medium it was. The fit is a bit roomy and looks a little sloppy but they don't move around at all. I've got 50 miles of XC riding with these on the whole time and there's no chafing, pressure points, binding, or pinching, and they're not even wet when I take them off.

For DH, the POC Bone do stay in place for me well and have prevented major injury. I wouldn't want to pedal in them. My alternate was going to be the Fox pads.
    That said, the POC Bones needed to be replaced after some minor damage affected the strapping system and one of the pads wanted to rotate a lot. The replacement pair has better strapping and rocks.

I had some Rock Gardns that sucked terrible... wouldn't even stay in place while riding, much less crashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Looking into the Dainese Trail Skins. I PMed beaterdit cause I can't figure out what size I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Looking into the Dainese Trail Skins. I PMed beaterdit cause I can't figure out what size I need.
    You will not be disappointed. I came from 661 Kyle Straits. Medium in both for me.

anyone looking for poc vpd2 in a large... good condition, PM me. They are too big for me now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I've become a big fan of the G-Forms. They offer decent protection and stay in place but the best part is the comfort.
    Light and comfortable enough for XC riding. Here in northern NM every ride has climbing, descending, and rocks.
    The best pad is the one you're willing to wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    You will not be disappointed. I came from 661 Kyle Straits. Medium in both for me.
    Ditto on all counts. Phish I'll get back to ya when I can measure my legs. The mediums are slightly roomy so they don't push on my patella but they aren't bulky at all and stay put perfectly. I'm skinny.

I'm loving my 661 Evo Knees. I keep em around my ankles for long climbs and pull em up for descents. On a shorter ride I can keep em up the whole time and they're comfortable and stay in place. Would not use them for XC, but then I rarely feel the need for pads on XC and don't really like chaffing.

I've got Race Face Ambush Elbows. They work alright but just not as nice as the 661s on any dimension. When I'm wearing them, and I crash, they do a fantastic job of protecting me and they stay in place fairly well. Too sweaty to leave on, so they just come out of the pack for big downhills. Can't really wear an elbow pad down on the wrist like you would do with a knee pad (on the ankle). The velcro is rough side facing out, which is more annoying that you'd think. Catches on everything and makes a nice scratching sound.....all the time. The fact that the foam pad doesn't slip out like on the 661 means that they take about 3x longer to dry when washed.

I never found a good source for the Dainese Knee Pads, but did get some Elbows to try on. I thought they were total crap and sent them back. Felt like a paper plate stuffed under a panty hose. Maybe then knee version feels more like it makes sense? Even if it had fit well, I didn't think it would protect well and didn't think it would hold up well.

edit: Anybody using the G Form Elbow Pads? I'm feeling like a good elbow pad is harder to find than a good knee pad.

After a bad fall with no pads during one of my first times out on a mountain bike, I got the POC VPD 2.0 DH knee and elbow guards. I ride mostly shortish uphills (a mile or two) and long downhills (hopefully many miles as I hate peddling). Usually I put the knee pads on in the car and wear them for the ride up. They are fairly comfortable, I can feel they are there, but don't feel like they get in the way. If its warm Ill push them down around my lower leg because they do get warm. I carry the elbow pads up in my back pack and put them on at the top. They are bulky, which has its good and bad parts.

Now to the important part, crashing. These pads ROCK when you eat it. They stay in place, absorb falls and slide dirt, rocks, roots etc so they don't get twisted, or grab and twist you. They have also taken multiple hard, slow, fast falls like champs and keep on going. I was expecting to destroy them, and Ive given it my best shot, and they keep on protecting my knees and elbows. As a beginner, I recommend these to anyone learning to mountain bike. Im super happy trading a little bit of weight for the extra durability and sense of mind that they will stay where they are supposed to.

Interesting on the POC pads skibird. I had some huge knee/shin fox pads for ten years that would slip off the knees a little but because they went down to the ankle; they'd stay up.

Got a set of POC VPD airs to test earlier this fall and with my pencil thin calves have not for the life of me been able to keep them up. Top straps have been falling apart and stretched out but if I do a single wrap with duct tape below the knee (a la kid woos suggestion for rigid straps) they stay right in place, never slip, and are barely noticeable and super comfy pedaling and doing whatever else. Thinking I might sew some more rigid strap into them this winter as it sucks just throwing away tape everyday. If you have hamburger calves like I used to have pre spinal cord injury, maybe they stay put.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I was looking for something similar to your Fox pads Ryan, and even considered giving my hockey shin pads a try, because I was afraid of slippage and being annoyed by it when Im trying to concentrate on learning to ride. Maybe next summer if I get some time, Ill strap/tape on my hockey shin pads and see how they work compared to the POC VPD's or any other knee pads I can get my hands on.

I do get some slippage on my chicken arms if I get lazy and drop my elbows, which is a good reminder to keep my elbows up while riding down hill. I carry them up hill in my backpack usually, but maybe next time Ill wear them up and down to see what happens.

With the knee pads, I don't get much slippage and I do not have huge calves, maybe there is a difference between the construction of the inside of the pads, something we could check out possibly? I don't velcro the knee pads super tight at the top, and only snug around my calves. My knee cap does sit fairly snug on the inside of the knee pads, under the cup of the plastic. I do fall a lot, and hard, so maybe I have just warn the knee pads in so conformed to my knees? I can definitely see the elastic falling apart with more than my 20 or so days on them and needing to be replaced with something sturdier in the long run. I expect next season Ill have to follow Ryan and modify the straps.

Just a note, I am a beginner mountain biker, along the lines of a blue skier who is just exploring something new. This is my first season mountain biking so please take my comments from that perspective. On that note, I fall a lot and have put these pads through what I consider the ringer. A faster rider may see something very different than I do with the same pads because they use them very differently.

POC vpd 2.0. pedal in them. cool. unreal snug fit. stay in place. put them on and forget about them.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

I used to ride DH with the POC Bones knee/shin combo. They didn't tend to stay put in a crash though. Got some VPD2.0DH longs (the half-shin length ones with the hard plastic kneecap). They are certainly sit a lot better on my big legs, really solid, and feel like they'll stay in place in a crash. Haven't really put them to the test, just a couple of minor offs, but I like them much better than the bones. Do leave a bit of the shin exposed to pedals and rocks though.

My POC's do only cover half my calf and I do have scabs all over the lower half. I left that part out because it doesn't really bother me, as it may someone else.

bikebling.com has a good price on the Dainese Trail Skins, so I just ordered a pair. Will report back once I get a chance to ride with them.

Apparently the Dainese pads are back ordered, so I cancelled my order. I wanted something ASAP since I rode some super technical rock garden stuff with a light after work yesterday. Luckily, a shop near the trailhead had these so I figured I would give them a shot.

http://www.backcountry.com/troy-lee-...0995357#review

I was pleasantly surprised. You really do forget they are there when pedalling. A huge bonus was that they do not pinch or chafe the back of your legs at all. Once they settle in to place they stay put. No need to keep pulling them up. It was in the mid 50s and sure they were warm but not too hot. They would probably be hot in mid summer though, so something like the Dainese or lighter may be the ticket when its pushing 80+.

Glad I pulled the trigger, because of course I did fall on some tricky granite rock gardens and went down directly on my left knee. The pad did its job, but shifted down my leg after the impact. I went with a size medium, but could have almost gone with a small. I guess if they had velcro straps I could have gotten them a little tighter.

I will keep using these all winter and into the spring. If they are too hot come summer I will pick up something nice and light like the trail skins.

Currently looking at the Dainese Trail Skins, Troy Lee 5400, POC VPD 2.o and POC Air. I have fairly skinny calves, I'm a non-aggressive rider and I'd prefer to just leave them on for the whole ride rather than take on and off. Any updated thoughts from the users here? I can get a deal on the POCs which brings them more in line price wise.

The new player: 7iDP, is well worth looking at. I have and am very happy with their Control knee pads. I ride with them full-time. They have some lighter offerings, too.