Really Really confused about ACL tear.

I torn my Acl about 7 weeks ago coming off of the pali Cornice and had absolutely no idea it happened until last Sunday when I landed awkwardly playing basketball for the 4th straight day. I heard the pop when I was skiing but my knee never swelled and I was walking normal in 2 days. My strength is still good and aside from some pain and a lot of stiffness it only really hurts in a deep squat and when I plant and torque my leg. My dilemma is can I wear a knee brace and ski this winter or should I do my surgery now with the possibility of skiing this year being slim? I can stand to lose 20 lbs so slimming down will help with weight on the knee.
    And....now after reading some of the ACL threads I don't even what kind of surgery to have when I decide to have it. My doctor mentioned getting the ligament from a cadaver. Is that recommended and will I be able to jump higher that I used to?

What's the MRI show? If you really need a reconstruction, then do it as soon as possible so you'll be ready for next winter. As for what type of ACLR, read through the other threads, some of which have lots of links. Cadaver grafts seem to be the most popular, but I'm very happy with my double quad harvested from the good leg. Losing those 20 pounds will make everything a lot easier. To jump higher than you used to, you need to ask the doc for the titanium springs where the new graft attaches to the tib and femur.

Get surgery soon; before and after surgery, do a lot of table push-away's to drop 25lbs or whatever you need to get to 10% bodyfat, rehab like crazy, ski this winter, just no charging.

There, that was really easy to type, so it shouldn't be too hard to execute...

Holy shoot, I couldn't help but think of my leg as you described your situation. I think I'm entering week 7 from my injury and the biggest pain I have is deep squats and plants. Some of that is due to fluid.

I opted for no surgery and I was biking up to 15 miles within the first 3 weeks or so and then ran 2.5 miles today on uneven roads like off/on curbs, without any second thoughts. I skied the other day and that was admittedly survival. But 6 months from now, I'm certain it won't be quite as bad.

Same boat here about reducing my weight, which should translate into less impact/torque. Combine with significantly strengthening my entire leg to replace the ACL function.

Each person will be different but the fact your playing basketball in 7 weeks is insanity. It's a normal 6-8 month (minimum) rehab whether you cut it open or not. About 1 year is when you would start to really feel confident and then the mental guard can be let down while playing sports. I would lay off the basketball and do something less risky, like skiing. I just envision going up for a rebound and landing on someone's foot on the way down

I've been riding without my left ACL for years and it's definitely possible. Obviously not if your competing or plan to air anything 20'+, cut it immediately if either of those are your cup of tea
    Last edited by Piggity; 06-14-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Glad to hear there are others in the same boat as me. I'm six months out from a tumble that apparently gave me a partial tear of the acl according to the mri. No swelling when it happened, pain when squatting, but able to do stuff stiil, need to do more of those table push aways as well. Doc says live life as if you weren't injured, if you blow it up you would likely have blown it even if it wasn't partially torn.

Still it's a scary thing to not know if the knee is going to stay under you.
    Being grown-up sucks!

It is flake, hang in there and work that leg out like you never have. Bike, run, lifting, balance exercises, and so on.

I skied today for the second time since complete rupture of my ACL. Good form, weight over my bindings with my quad/hammy flexed made all the difference in the world today. I was no longer in survival mode, it boosted my confidence that next season will be good to go, somewhat anyway

Keep strengthening those legs fellas!

some people can ski and be active without an ACL...some can't. I sure couldn't have skied at all when I tore mine.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I agree montanaskier, which ever path people choose it's still a long hard recovery that requires lots of strengthening. Are you all healed up or still rehabbing?

I finally got my final consult from Dr Glenn Perry who is the Orthopedic dude for the Bobcats basketball team and it looks like surgery. I honestly think I could survive without the surgery if it weren't for skiing. As much as I'd want to take it easy I know I'd do something stupid if I were feeling good. I get so wrapped up in the moment I'll forget I have a bum knee and fuck it up worse. I also don't want to be limited in what I can do athletically. Good luck everyone whichever recovery path you choose.

How old are you? Because some studies have indicated that 1 in 4 allografts fail in active athletes younger than 40. If you are younger than 40 and active, there may be better alternatives.

I have personally had two ACL autograft reconstructions: an ipsilateral quadruple-stranded semitendinosis-gracilis (hamstring) graft and a contralateral patellar graft (which I am currently recovering from). Each method has had it's drawbacks in terms of recovery, and if I had to do it over again I'm still not sure what route I would go. I think an ipsilateral patellar tendon autograft might be my first choice if I had the option. Really, the most important factor is what your particular surgeon is most comfortable with and the particulars of your rehab routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity POW View Post
    I agree montanaskier, which ever path people choose it's still a long hard recovery that requires lots of strengthening. Are you all healed up or still rehabbing?

totally healed and stronger than ever.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL