Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    My buddy at Fresh Pineapples just shaped me this board. Go giver a peak! it's a 5'8" quad but it's super fat. It's called "The Chunk" inspired by some of the old school single fins.

wouldn't be complete without a shot of me looking like a douche!

www.DeathCookieEntertainment.com

Sometimes fear just means that you need to push your shins into the front of your ski boots and fuckin send it!

^^^ Super Chunk! Though the stringer looks a bit off center, sure she'll be a blast. Quad you say?

Speaking of super chunk, anyone ever tried a Mini Simmons shape?
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I think that it is a little off by about 1mm, but it's hand shaped by one of the youngest shapers in the game. He's been working as an apprentice under Bill "Shros" Shrosbee

The concept with this one was to allow bigger wave performance by keeping the same positive features of the short board, but my giving it the extra foam you can still get it into the small day rollers that are typical of North San Diego County.

Going to ride it today and possibly get a few pictures. I'll keep it updated!

Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    ^^^ Super Chunk! Though the stringer looks a bit off center, sure she'll be a blast. Quad you say?

Sometimes fear just means that you need to push your shins into the front of your ski boots and fuckin send it!

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I've been wanting to try out a Mini Simmons. This was inspired by a mini simmons type board, without the eggy shape. it's a thrust/quad, or a quad with one of Slater's new guitar picks, haha

Nice, does he do the glassing or send it to somewhere like moonlight? I need to break away for some waves today, let me know if you score any wedges out there.

Sounds pretty cool. I have a clone of one of these on the way (6'4" so pretty big but free is key) and I hear it has the same 5-fin thing going on. Can't wait to try it!

The Bonin Petrels

Nice! that extra foam in the ass should pick up waves nicely.

he's been glassing his own boards and he's getting really good at it, but for quality control on other peoples boards he has a pro do it.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTate View Post
    Nice! that extra foam in the ass should pick up waves nicely.
    That's the idea! I surfed a 6'1"-ish clone of this in Kauai a few years ago and it was super fun.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    actually, i just looked again. I think the sunset is making it look further off than it really is.

Steamers is still the land of air innovation.

Awesome progression, but the ASP judges wouldn't count either of those as "completed".

The Bonin Petrels

Insane what guys can do now. Might make sense for him to get a board with minimal rocker. The only air my board gets is coming off a floater out into the flats, I'm no booster

I'd describe this video, but I think the song pretty much explains it...

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Why, yes. I surfed a 5'4" Simmons about six months ago from Mabile. It was a hair too small while paddling, but it was super loose and skatey. Based on what I found about the board, I emailed Larry and asked him to shape me something with dimensions based on my height and weight. He suggested a length of 5'6" or 5'8". I was feeling 5'10", but went 5'8" anyway. The demo board had double stringers, 5 boxes and double wings, just short of the squash tail. I told him I wanted my board just like that, but eps. The board came with three boxes, no wings and 4 boxes. It's still super, super fun, but the wings reall helped to loosen up the super fat tail. My board really flies, but it's just not as loose as I'd prefer. I ordered my second one in 5'6", and was more specific with my order. Still waiting for it to arrive. Overall, I'd say they work better in reef breaks and points, so not perfect for OB. There are several people surfing them at Bolinas. You kind of need a second to get centered on the board, and a throwing takeoff is pretty hard to pin on one of these. Plus, they have no rocker. Hop, you're more than welcome to try one of mine, or maybe I can get that demo for you from the shop.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Why, yes. I surfed a 5'4" Simmons about six months ago from Mabile. It was a hair too small while paddling, but it was super loose and skatey. Based on what I found about the board, I emailed Larry and asked him to shape me something with dimensions based on my height and weight. He suggested a length of 5'6" or 5'8". I was feeling 5'10", but went 5'8" anyway. The demo board had double stringers, 5 boxes and double wings, just short of the squash tail. I told him I wanted my board just like that, but eps. The board came with three boxes, no wings and 4 boxes. It's still super, super fun, but the wings reall helped to loosen up the super fat tail. My board really flies, but it's just not as loose as I'd prefer. I ordered my second one in 5'6", and was more specific with my order. Still waiting for it to arrive. Overall, I'd say they work better in reef breaks and points, so not perfect for OB. There are several people surfing them at Bolinas. You kind of need a second to get centered on the board, and a throwing takeoff is pretty hard to pin on one of these. Plus, they have no rocker. Hop, you're more than welcome to try one of mine, or maybe I can get that demo for you from the shop.
    Sounds interesting. I was talking to the guys at 2 Mile about them. This would be a Bo. board most likely, maybe Cron but that's one of those "throwing takeoffs" beaches, or WA beachbreaks. I rarely surf OB.

The Bonin Petrels

Ah, yes, the blue/green and orange/red Vernor's. So, those guys were telling me to go longer, wider and fatter than Mabile. They wanted me on a 6-0 or 6-2, Mabile said much smaller. After surfing both, I think Vernor makes a fine board, but Mabile has some magic in his shapes. Vernor is about the same price, but likely faster at this time of year. I think 2 Mile is still doing the demo bit. One thing to consider is really where you want to use this board. If you are just surfing Bo, you really want a tank for those typical Bo days. If you go slightly thinner, narrower and shorter, your board will be much more versatile. When I said throwing, I guess I meant more consequential, like Dead's. I don't surf Cronkite, but IMHO it's fairly playful. Not draining death barrels, so the Simmons would be fine there. How big are you, again?
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

These videos by The Shaper Studios are a good time!
    Check out the company too! They have a factory where they let you walk in off the street and make yourself a board!

Is wind surfing ok?

Another crowded day in San Diego during the thanksgiving weekend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	571.6 KB 
ID:	105100