Is tubeless a bad idea for fat people?

So I'm considering putting tubes back in my 29er HT. The reason is that it just feels like there is too much rolling resistance, even when inflated to 35-40 psi. It actually feels like my Prophet, which is much heavier and running tubed 2.35 Nevegal DTC's, has less rolling resistance on the road. The 29er is set up with Mavic 719 rims converted tubeless (stans kit) with 2.1 Kenda Small Block 8's. They seal just fine, so air loss during a ride is not an issue. Is it just my fat ass causing the resistance or is something else wrong (I weigh 215 lbs without gear). I mainly use the bike for turning my commute to school into a trail ride, so rolling resistance on the road is really important. The bike just seems way too slow for the weight (25 lbs) and tire choice.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Tubeless is a great idea for fat people. I get tons of pinchflats when I run tubes. I never have to worry about it with tubeless.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

On smooth roads, lower pressure is not a benefit. It's really that simple. What pressure are you running on the tubed Nevegals? I'm guessing more or you're probably getting flats. Unfortunately, too much pressure on a tubeless setup can cause the tire to rip off the bead much sooner then a tube setup...hence the low recommended pressures from Stans.

Also, the 29er Kool-Aid you are drinking is part of your issue cause it is only a negative on a smooth road.

i threatened to never ride with one of my buddies again (who is 'big boned') after he pinch flatted about 5 minutes into a ride..... while we were climbing! He went tubeless, and we are still friends.

Tubeless is especially beneficial for big people. Can run low pressure and pinch flats are few and far between. I did tear the side wall of a UST Schwalbe a couple weeks ago and have done the same to a non-ust Kenda Telonix that i was trying to run tubeless.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    On smooth roads, lower pressure is not a benefit. It's really that simple. What pressure are you running on the tubed Nevegals? I'm guessing more or you're probably getting flats. Unfortunately, too much pressure on a tubeless setup can cause the tire to rip off the bead much sooner then a tube setup...hence the low recommended pressures from Stans.

Also, the 29er Kool-Aid you are drinking is part of your issue cause it is only a negative on a smooth road.
    Around 30 psi

I'm really not worried about pinch flats, and I don't think the traction will be much worse as I'm already running them at 35+ psi and can ride them fine on loose gravely trails (Ogden BST). Its the road stuff thats bugging me right now, it just feels slower and more sluggish than it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Around 30 psi

I'm really not worried about pinch flats, and I don't think the traction will be much worse as I'm already running them at 35+ psi and can ride them fine on loose gravely trails (Ogden BST). Its the road stuff thats bugging me right now, it just feels slower and more sluggish than it should.
    Must be the Koolaid then cause small blocks roll way better then Nevegals on roads.

Are you locking a fork down? Many forks causee noticable resistence when locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Are you locking a fork down? Many forks causee noticable resistence when locked down.
    No, I usually ride with it open. Its only 80mm (Rock Shox Reba RL) so it doesn't really annoy to have it open.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    one of my buddies...(who is 'big boned')
    You're too kind.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I am actually thinking going back to tubes. I rarely get pinch flats and decided to convert to tubeless anyway. No instead of pinch flats I tend to "burp" these tires occasionally, usually at the worst times too. Burped tires are a fucking pain in the ass to get reseated.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde View Post
    I am actually thinking going back to tubes. I rarely get pinch flats and decided to convert to tubeless anyway. No instead of pinch flats I tend to "burp" these tires occasionally, usually at the worst times too. Burped tires are a fucking pain in the ass to get reseated.
    You can have my tubes when I go tubeless. After my 4 pinch flats in one ride and running decent psi, I am converting on my new rig.