Search Function...

...used to be able to display results as threads or posts, now it just defaults to threads. When you're looking for something in an 85-page thread that doesn't work very well, could that function be put back in please? If this is operator error on my part sorry but I don't see the option listed.

Hmm, just looked into this and we're seeing the same issue. Noted and looking into it....

Thanks guys.

While you are at it, can you tell me what a "child forum" is? I am always a little disturbed when searching.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

It also used to display in chronological order after a search and no it just seems random. Most recent posts/threads up top, please.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    It also used to display in chronological order after a search and no it just seems random. Most recent posts/threads up top, please.
    I'm not able to repeat this problem, can you double check your settings and get a screenshot to us?

Type in my screen name for users and then click search. Notice the first thing in the list is from 4/13/11 and descends. Go 7 posts down and we have posts from May and then back to April a few more down. Just seems to be no method to the madness.

What it used to do is show the most recent thread that was posted in first and went further back the lower your scrolled.

See attached screen shots.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-05-31 at 6.28.04 PM.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	97665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-05-31 at 6.14.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	97666  

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ...used to be able to display results as threads or posts, now it just defaults to threads. When you're looking for something in an 85-page thread that doesn't work very well, could that function be put back in please? If this is operator error on my part sorry but I don't see the option listed.
    I've looked into this and it is weird. VBulletins forums act like this as well through the custom search: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php

I did find a workaround or two: Using the search functionality embedded at the top bar of a forum or thread will allow you to search for posts. "search thread" and "search forum" will display results as posts. I'm not sure if that helps, but I will keep looking into the bug, because it seems like something on the software's end...

Let me know if there's anything else I can do...

advres,

under the "search for" section, make your "sort results by" = date. Your screen shot shows by relevance.... Let me know if that works...

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    I did find a workaround or two: Using the search functionality embedded at the top bar of a forum or thread will allow you to search for posts. "search thread" and "search forum" will display results as posts. I'm not sure if that helps, but I will keep looking into the bug, because it seems like something on the software's end...
    Thanks, yeah that works. It's a little awkward if you don't know which forum it was in or if you're looking for something that might be in more than one forum, but it's not bad. thanks, I hadn't realized that using the search forum/search thread buttons would give results as posts.

Is there a way to just search the photo/video threads or sprocket rocket threads etc... like it used to be... am I just not seeing it in the new system?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Is there a way to just search the photo/video threads or sprocket rocket threads etc... like it used to be... am I just not seeing it in the new system?
    Go to that forum and then hit "search forum" up on the right under the page number and search there.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/v4jGSvxCRp4
    replace the we with an I

thanks dude...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

We are in the process of building a new site wide search framework as part of a larger redesign that should dramatically improve search functionality within the forums. Stay tuned...

While we are in the construction process could you please add a few more things?

1) the ability to filter search results. The old forum allowed that. Filter by date, thread name, user, forum it is located.

2) Could we also add the ability to search a particular forum? If I'm searching Gear Swap I am not interested in results located in S/S.

Thank you in advance.

okbye

PS I would not object to the return of tags... I loved that. Sometimes they were more fun to read than the threads themselves.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Still not fixed.

ADVANCED SEARCH is now useless. Nothing advanced about it.

I was trying to find my threads I started in gear swap - trying to dig out an old photo of some shit I still have for sale, and also to bump an old thread of shit for sale.

Without the advanced search, it is damn near impossible to find threads I started, as opposed to threads I spewed into.

The search forum option does not good. Neither does google search using "site:tetongravity.com"
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    I

Let me know if there's anything else I can do...
    Okay, this backdoor trick does get you to the advanced search function like it used to be.
    BUT, you need to do one more thing to get there - dont just type into that search box, use the pull down arrow to get to the advanced search function for that forum.

Oddly, when you enter advanced search by that bar pulldown, you get to search by who started thread, etc etc.
    the regular advanced search button on the top of all the forums does not get you there no matter how hard you try.

Is it possible that the wrong page link is attached to the advanced search function?
    Is it possible to path it to the other advanced serch function that you get by pulling down the search this forum button as indicated above?

thanks for the workaround. When I first tried it, no luck, but the pulldown advanced search works like it used to.
    Very helpful for maintaining my shit for sale.
    . . .