OFWGKA = HIP HOP IS BACK!!!

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kills Them All is the best hip hop group since wu tang hit the streets in the 90s. shit is RAW!!!

very talented but unfortunately rap about absolutely nothing worth while... Tyler the Creater's new album is underwhelming for the most part.

I will say OFWGKA is much better together than apart.

Quote Originally Posted by IJ View Post
    very talented but unfortunately rap about absolutely nothing worth while... Tyler the Creater's new album is underwhelming for the most part.
    i think you're missing the point, try listening a little deeper. i think you're getting caught up on the violent horror laced lyrics, but there is much more under there.

You've obviously been listening to bad hip hop if you think it went anywhere. Tyler... really? Raw? Because he says fuck every sentence? What a fucking hack. The beat is dope but his skills are meh. Adding swears to sentences to make them work is like transitions for editors...They're moves to make your horrible skills seem better. Sure, they are part of the game, but overusing them is so lame. If you haven't heard anything good since Wu you seriously have no business talking hip hop even if you are "BRUTAH".

The Weathermen? Cannibal Ox? Atmosphere? Quannum? Hello?
    Last edited by advres; 05-30-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Amen to Advres!
    I was gonna say something quite similar, but then decided against it as it always seems like I'm harshing on what I consider to be the "debatable" tastes in rap music that seem to float around these boards!

i checked out all of the links above and nothing really hit me upside the head. The beats were like whatever and the flows weren't that distinctive to my ears.

then again, music is a personal (and purely subjective)l artform. if this crew is resonating with Brutah--and subsequently, anybody else--then that's all that really matters. in the grand scheme of things the only thing Brutah is guilty of is being a mite bit overzealous in terms of implying that Odd Future Wolf Gang are the saviours of rapdom/best thing to happen to rap since the Wu

that said...

here's a pretty good article about white rappers, many of whom are holding down pretty solid (I particularly like Action Bronson's style): http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/ar...mage.html?_r=1

Also, my buddy Prince Po turned me on to this cat: http://knowledgeborn07.com/
    check out Track #7, the one with Po on the guest.

But yeah, I agree that rap music never really went anywhere. You just have to know where to look (hint: when any pop culture movement becomes too mainstream/popular, the good stuff goes "underground" or off-the-grid")

PS
    on heavy rotation for me on my way to/from work between Dec. and April was Little Brother's Leftback. Also, there's quite a fair amount of solid joints on the 9th Wonder/David Banner collabo.
    Last edited by dookey67; 05-30-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

okay, yes i was a little overzealous with my announcement about odd future. yes i know hip hop hasn't gone anywhere, but suggesting a bunch of washed up rap groups and solo artists from the turn of the century are keeping hip hop alive........ um if hip hop died it took aesop rock and cannibal ox with it. honestly, i don't listen to too much conscientious hip hop anymore, shit is just boring and seems like it has been on repeat since 98. plus i relate much more with the more recent indy rock scene nowadays. I get down with 9th wonder and little brother, i still listen to atmosphere. but i'd much rather listen to some more poppish hip hop (i.e. kid cudi, kanye, lil wayne) than 'bob your head to the beat while i try to cram a feel sorry novel into a 4 minute song' type shit.

I guess a better review of odd future would be to say that the group is fresh. and growing in popularity by the minute. I guess what i enjoyed about what i have heard from the odd future wolf gang crew is the 'simplistic' beats and the rapper's flow and delivery and how their flows play off that beat, similar to what j-dilla did with slum village's "fantastic vol 2" (speaking strictly about how the beat interaction with the rhymes). the group is experimental, they saw raw ass shit.......

"Lost an erection and found it in an aggressive nun
    Fuckin' chin-checkin' punks 'til he's outta breath and done
    No FX, in these doper than sess sessions son
    Chillin' for a while on a pile of the rest of 'em
    Let the crowd choose who can fuckin' last longer
    It's the rap monger, rap monster Earl Sweat attack, conquer"

sorry but that rhyme is RAW and its delivery is on point. odd future is fresh in the mostly stagnant waters that are hip hop. i like this quote from the article dookey pulled up on NY mag.com, "He [Tyler, the creator] does blown-up, chintzy piss-takes of hip-hop's standards, the same way acid-fried freaks and smart-ass punks used to mess around with the pomposity of classic rock. Forget "Gimme the Loot" — when I'm enjoying this record, it feels more like listening to the Butthole Surfers or the Dead Milkmen. For all we know, Odd Future could be early instigators of a moment where hip-hop experiences the same spasms rock once did — the moment where its orthodoxies have started to seem old, bloated, or silly, so the anarchic freaks come rushing in to make it their creative playground." i think this sums up my feelings, not that i was EVER a fan of the butthole surfers, but a lot of odd future stuff does remind me of a love child between kool keith's alter-ego "dr. octagon", RZA, eminem and ODB.

action bronson just sounds like ghostface without all the food analogies. that isn't necessarily fresh, or new, or creative, or progressing the hip hop game. not saying i don't like it, just saying....

they're like nikki minaj with dicks, but there's nine of them.

it's a little rapey and that doesn't play well on radio disney

Wait, so now you're saying Nikki Minaj is a game changer?
    You just lost some serious credibility there, homes!

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Wait, so now you're saying Nikki Minaj is a game changer?
    You just lost some serious credibility there, homes!
    i never had credibility to begin with. and yea I LOVE nikki minaj, that girl has enough ass for the whole community. I can't wait for her and beibs to hook up for a few tracks.

i would just like to add that I am more of a fan of Hodgy Beats, Left Brain and Earl Sweatshirt than Tyler, the creator, but the whole group is pretty dope IMO.

FUCK OFGJA":LJ":SKLAJ"SKLJQ":!

guys try too hard to be weird & all that crap

you can tell from the songs, interviews & etc

lickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk my sweaty nutsssssssssssss

Tons O' OFWGKA downloads to be found here, for those interested:

http://oddfuture.tumblr.com/

the new que billah mixtape, birdshit, is solid. go find it.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Platinum Pete's sig reminded me why I haven't listened to much hip hop since Handsome Boy Modeling School. I'm sure I've missed a lot of great acts but in my head hip hop is still and always will be:

De La
    Tribe Called Quest
    Heiroglyphics
    Gang Starr
    Prince Paul
    Wu Tang
    Del
    Bone
    Beasties
    Dre

If you all know any modern stuff that would fit that outdated-white-guy profile I'd love to hear it.
    I still call it The Jake.

BmillsSkier, my man...

Anybody name dropping the cream of the Golden Age should know that 1. it's called Rap Music and 2. Hip-Hop is hyphenated and is the culture as a whole, which consists of rap music, graffiti, break dancing (aka b-boying), and djing (aka turntablism).

That aside, definitely check out C-Rayz Walz, Atmosphere, and Statik Selektah (his mix tapes are pretty solid), just to get you started. Also Roc Marciano, if you like Gang Starr (and the "super group" he's in called Gangrene), as well as Joe Budden's Slaughter House outfit.

PS
    you forgot to include Brand Nubian, EPMD, and Leaders of the New School in your list...

rap that white people like??

Dilated peoples
    Jurassic 5
    People Under the Stairs
    Mos Def/Talib Kweli/black star
    CunninLynguists
    Haiku D'Etat

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    BmillsSkier, my man...

Anybody name dropping the cream of the Golden Age should know that 1. it's called Rap Music and 2. Hip-Hop is hyphenated and is the culture as a whole, which consists of rap music, graffiti, break dancing (aka b-boying), and djing (aka turntablism).

That aside, definitely check out C-Rayz Walz, Atmosphere, and Statik Selektah (his mix tapes are pretty solid), just to get you started. Also Roc Marciano, if you like Gang Starr (and the "super group" he's in called Gangrene), as well as Joe Budden's Slaughter House outfit.

PS
    you forgot to include Brand Nubian, EPMD, and Leaders of the New School in your list...
    Ha! You're very right.

Thanks for the recs, I'll check them out!
    I still call it The Jake.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    the resurgence in my ears lately has been
    sage
    gold chains
    princess superstar
    the return of dr octagon
    mc paul barman (first album that mushroom brain fart album was some sort of sellout shit).

odd future does have nice production and a slightly new sound. its very tight but ADVRES is pretty right with his assessment of the lyrical quality. though it does make me recall how many times bone said nigga on e.1999 (its even alot by todays standards) but for whatever reason it doesnt seem as poorly used as fuck. very likely its the word itself. fuck is everything to everyone but nigga changes depending on who is using it where to who about what.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Platinum Pete's sig reminded me why I haven't listened to much hip hop since Handsome Boy Modeling School. I'm sure I've missed a lot of great acts but in my head hip hop is still and always will be:

De La
    Tribe Called Quest
    Heiroglyphics
    Gang Starr
    Prince Paul
    Wu Tang
    Del
    Bone
    Beasties
    Dre

If you all know any modern stuff that would fit that outdated-white-guy profile I'd love to hear it.
    I'm not really feeling Odd Future, but here's a few to check out:
    Blu
    Black Milk
    Crown City Rockers
    Get Busy Committee
    Pack FM
    Aleon Craft & George Clinton
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Metalfacedoom.com