Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sonora Pass 2011

Discussed unofficially with a Cal Trans employee. Passes are clear and ready to open as of the 21st. Buuuuuuuuuut, due to the expected foul weather over the next week they are not going to open the gates until next Friday, 05-28-10, at around noon. This opening should include SR 4 as well. Of course this could change if there is any extreme snow buildup. This is the first time I have been able to pin Cal Trans down with a date. Its a good sign.

It's Memorial weekend, but I would not expect much traffic on the pass.

Talking

Yo CR:

methinks Telemike has better sources...

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...l-Stoke/page10
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I won't claim better sources. I also talk unofficially to CalTrans employees. Experience and instinct tell me Thu. Hoping for Wed. Fri would be just fine.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Thanks. I don't have any claim to special information, but with all the snow this year, it's going to be a long wait for Tioga, so was hoping some would have good information for Sonora and Ebbetts. The TGR peeps usually know first.

wooooo hopefully it will still be there by the time I make it down there

Quote Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
    Thanks. I don't have any claim to special information, but with all the snow this year, it's going to be a long wait for Tioga, so was hoping some would have good information for Sonora and Ebbetts. The TGR peeps usually know first.
    Tioga should be open to the gate this weekend. All they have to do is blast one rock and get the equipment into Yosemite.

my sources inform me that as of 0700 this morning the 108 crew had less than 1/4 mile of road to clear - maybe rock removal, guardrail repair, etc - weather coming Wed - Thu looks likely

Mike, any update today? I got nothing new. The weather system has made everyone a bit uncertain.

nothing new here....

hopefully Thu...

if not, Fri fo sho

This was released today, but no new info on Sonora Pass:

Yosemite's Glacier Point Road Opens Friday
    Yosemite Valley, CA-- This Friday at noon, Glacier Point Road in Yosemite National Park will open for the season.
    According to park officials, there will be limited visitor services including no running water. Vault toilets will be available.
    Travelers are urged to drive with caution while in the park as the road may still be wet due to melting snow. Wildlife may also be present on or near the road.
    The Glacier Point Road is subject to unexpected and temporary closures due to unpredictable spring storms that may produce snow at the higher elevations of the park.
    Due to snow, ice, and avalanche conditions, Tioga Road will remain closed with no projected opening date at this time.
    For up to date, 24 hour road and weather information at Yosemite, call (209) 372-0200.
    Some other interesting local news that probably needs it's own thread in the padded room of doom:
    Clinics Pot Raid Update
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Keep crossing my fingers for 120 to the park this weekend ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I should be able to break away for a Sonora day in June. My inclination is that it should be rather nice (suncup dependent of course), considering we did that late June Leavitt tour last year. I really really really want to make some turns down the gnarly face lookers right when looking up while standing in the river. Hell, I could make a day out of it. . So many sweet zones up there, it's tough to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I should be able to break away for a Sonora day in June. My inclination is that it should be rather nice (suncup dependent of course), considering we did that late June Leavitt tour last year. I really really really want to make some turns down the gnarly face lookers right when looking up while standing in the river. Hell, I could make a day out of it. . So many sweet zones up there, it's tough to choose.
    I dunno 6x3er...

if my deteriorating memory serves me, i believe that last season they didn't pop the Leavitt Lake road until late, late July-almost-August. I know Vets was keepin' close tabs on it all summer and we didn't hit the area until the first weekend of August, which I'm pretty sure was no more than within a week (it actually might have only been within days, I ferget) of when they opened it last summer: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=Vets

With this year's snowfall, I'mma hedge a guess that they don't kick it open until at least then again this year, maybe even later...but who knows?

That said, perhaps there's still snow at the Marine base...though its doubtful that they're still running their T-bar...

The Marines have a ski lift? FKNA!
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Dooks, that face 6'er is talking about is nowhere near Leavitt Lake Road. It's a north facing shot lined with cliffs down by the hairpin at the west end of the pass.

6'er, I'm free June 18-19 and the following weekend for Sonora turns. Our trip last year was on June 20 and there is more coverage this year.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I might be there next Saturday. (Daughter's ballet recital on Sunday though.)

@Shralph: ah...just saw 6x3er mention Leavitt Lake, which, again, wasn't open until after July last summer. that said, not sure of the line y'all are drooling over, as i've only done No Name, some funky patch well past the summit on the west side, and Leavitt/Ski Lake to date.

@ Sinecure: goto Post #2 for the shots of the MWTC pomo lift shots: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...3A+Sonora+Pass

I was up on Emmigrant Trail hoping I could drop down Silverfork, but no dice. The road is covered with rock and snow well before you reach the gate. Neither 4 or 108 opened today.

Wow- still 179" at Leavitt Lake as of today, according to this:

SNOTEL Snow Depth Reports

Independence Lake 138 in 39.0 °F 24.1 °F 8450 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Dismal Swamp 94 in 40.5 °F 26.2 °F 7000 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Squaw Valley 109 in 40.6 °F 25.0 °F 8200 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Leavitt Lake 179 in 41.5 °F 29.1 °F 9400 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Adin Mountain 3 in 42.8 °F 29.8 °F 6200 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    CSS Lab 96 in 43.2 °F 30.9 °F 6900 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Cedar Pass 42 in 43.2 °F 27.1 °F 7100 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Independence Camp 33 in 43.7 °F 29.3 °F 7000 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Echo Peak 74 in 43.7 °F 26.4 °F 7800 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Ebbetts Pass 78 in 43.9 °F 26.2 °F 8700 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Carson Pass 76 in 43.9 °F 25.9 °F 8500 ft 1pm PST 05/26
    Summit Meadow 54 in 44.6 °F 30.4 °F 9122 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Horse Meadow 55 in 45.0 °F 25.0 °F 8631 ft 1pm PST 05/26
    Blue Lakes 68 in 45.0 °F 24.6 °F 8000 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Forestdale Creek 93 in 45.5 °F 28.0 °F 8029 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Rubicon #2 72 in 46.6 °F 26.2 °F 7500 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Burnside Lake 52 in 46.6 °F 28.8 °F 8139 ft 1pm PST 05/26
    Sonora Pass 50 in 46.8 °F 32.5 °F 8800 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Heavenly Valley 58 in 47.1 °F 23.4 °F 8850 ft 11am PST 05/26
    Crowder Flat 0 in 47.7 °F 32.9 °F 5100 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Ward Creek #3 74 in 47.8 °F 29.8 °F 6750 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Tahoe City Cross 1 in 48.2 °F 28.0 °F 6750 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Lobdell Lake 9 in 48.4 °F 31.1 °F 9200 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Virginia Lakes Ridge 38 in 49.3 °F 33.3 °F 9200 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Hagan's Meadow 9 in 50.7 °F 27.7 °F 8000 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Truckee #2 1 in 51.4 °F 29.1 °F 6400 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Poison Flat 4 in 53.4 °F 32.9 °F 7900 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    Leavitt Meadows 1 in 55.6 °F 36.1 °F 7200 ft 2pm PST 05/26
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

CDLV just told me that 120 is open to YNP gate today. Although caltrans' site doesn't reflect that.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    6'er, I'm free June 18-19 and the following weekend for Sonora turns. Our trip last year was on June 20 and there is more coverage this year.
    On the calendar for me already (seeing as I need to be around for work the first two weekends in June).
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

I talked to some CalTrans guys today in Cold Springs - they say 108 should be open before noon Friday

some 108 (and 120) tips

Hula's in Escalon has good food.

AM/PM in Oakdale is cheapest gas you'll pass. AM/PM in Sonora is cheapest in town. Zak's in Sugar Pine is 25 cents cheaper than up the hill. If you haven't fueled up by the time you get to Zak's, you should.

Alicia's Sugar Shack in Sugar Pine has great coffee, breakfast burritos, muffins, scones, sandwiches. B&G on Sunday. Open at 0700. Tell her Mike from Dodge Ridge sent you.

Andy's Grill in Mi Wuk has EXCELLENT burgers - cheap. Great sandwiches, ribs, beer, ice cream, milk shakes. Mi Wuk store is open at 0700.

Cold Springs Market opens at 0600. They has groceries, doughnuts, breakfast burritos, gas, beer, bait, ammo - you name it. If you didn't buy gas at Zak's do it now, because the Dardanelle's will rape you.

Dardanelle's has a decent store and cafe and really expensive gas.

Pizza options on 108: Mia's in Cold Springs and Pie In The Sky in Sierra Village are both popular. Most folks like one or the other. I like Mia's, but I've never been to Pie In The Sky.

Twain Harte has a few places to eat. Pizza, burgers, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, etc. Sportsman Cafe has good homemade breakfast sausages. Open at 0700.

SFTC - did I miss anything?

Leavitt Peak, as in hiking from hwy 108 summit.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Dooks, that face 6'er is talking about is nowhere near Leavitt Lake Road. It's a north facing shot lined with cliffs down by the hairpin at the west end of the pass.

Small chance I could make that weekend. Conditions (at home and one the snow) permitting. Of course I will be out of skinning strength, but I have been getting in a bit of surfing, so I have some paddle shape.

Regardless, it would be nice to get a Sonora trip in this season if the suncups hold back.