Review: Winston BIIIx

Rod: Winston BIIIx 9ft. 5w.t 4pc.

First of all, I have been a fan of Winston for a long time! I truly enjoy a "traditional" action trout rod. Not to say I shy away form fast action sticks, cuz I dig them too but I find myself reaching for mid-mid fast rods for most trout applications that don't involve heavy streamers, big wind or sinking lines.

I owned a BIIx 5wt, which NHP now owns, and still own a BIIx 9.5ft 6wt. I like(d) both sticks but don't feel they follow the Winston feel. Understandably so, they needed to follow the trend and did so with the BIIx, MX and BIIt. The MX is a cannon with limited applications IMHO. The BIIt is cool but I still like the WT better. The BIIx started a whole new Winston fad and brought in a new crowd and was a great rod. Some weights got slack. I found all of them to be adequate and fun to fish.

On to the BIIIx:

Line - Rio Grand

*** I only waved this rod on dry land***

Seemed similar to the BIIX 5wt. but had a little more beef through the mid section. Still has a relatively soft tip, so casting small dries can still be a possibility. Pretty much has the same feel with multiple backcasts as the BIIX. However, there is an obvious difference when picking a decent amount if line up to begin a cast...go figure, it's stiffer than it's predecessor. Much smoother through the guides than I expected. Maybe it was the right line for the rod or I was just "on" that day??? Despite the overall less flexible profile than the BIIx, I found it simple to cast both long lines and short, (down to 15-20ft). Despite Winston's claim that it, ( along with the IIx), is a tool for all trades and can handle delicate presentations up close to 80+ footers, it really doesn't. I definitely wouldn't take this rod, (assuming I had a softer flexing option), to a spring creek, small creek or a larger river I planned on throwing a fly 15ft or less on a consistent basis. Short throws can be done but it's more of a flop or REALLY tippy cast. For a one 5wt rod quiver, this fits the bill but doesn't surpass the BIIx by drastic margins by any means.

The construction and finish is beautiful and true to Winston style.

Bottom Line:
    Great rod! Would I buy one if owned the same wt in a BIIx or other similar stick....no way. If I was in the market for a certain wt and wanted to spend the $800 retail, (or even the pro price),I prolly would buy one. Obviously this rod is an attempt to bridge the gap between the BIIX and the BIImx. They accomplished this well IMO. This is another fine rod from a great company that most reasonably experienced casters will really enjoy.
    Last edited by schwerty; 05-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Good review, thanks. Sounds a lot like the Z-axis, though with a slightly softer tip.