Thumbs up TR: Mothers Day Traverse 5-8-11

Mountainbikerskierchick and Goldenboy were on a hot streak, knocking off Pyramid, Sopris, and local classic Ruby Chute, so I thought it would be a good time to join them for some springtime fun. We decided to check out a little more remote part of our backcountry, in the Raggeds wilderness.

I had been out there once before with goldenboy, when we skied The Blob, and goldenboy returned to ski The Ant last spring. Its a neat area with big vert and a lot of alpine.

The day started with a mellow, quick sled ride to oh, about 12,200':

A even quicker bootpack to our first summit, Purple Mountain (12,958):
    mbsc

goldenboy

The Ruby Range:

Goldenboy on top of Purple, at the first of about 12 transitions. We skied edgy frozen corn down to the nearest saddle and made our way towards The Blob.

Looking back at the NW face of Purple and our route:

Summit of The Blob (12,781'):
    http://goneskiing.smugmug.com/Skiing...geds-15-XL.jpg

An easy 500' descent on more refrozen corn to the saddle, then up to The Nipple.
    mbsc gearing up for the bootpack to the Nipple:

Summit of The Nipple (12,789'). In the background is Paonia, where it is full on spring:

Goldenboy carving up the top of our 1,800' ski down to Yule Creek. We skied every type of snow on this run, from frozen corn, to ice, to pow, to corn, to wet wet slop.

Mbsc making her way down. Somewhere. I swear there's a person in there...

We had debated whether or not to call it a day at this point, considering that we still had a 2200' climb in front of us no matter what, but it was fairly early and we had mostly just traversed to the first ski. So, we decided to make a play for Treasure Mountain, directly above us. Good news, its pretty mellow and should make for an easy skin. Bad news, its pretty mellow so it should make for a looooong skin.

We were all getting tired by the top, so not many pictures, but here's mbsc summiting #4, Treasure Mountain (13,528'):

The first three peaks of the day, L-R Purple, Blob, Nipple:

The Elks:

Big Mountains:

We got near perfect corn all the way down the S face of Treasure, then started the final ascent back up Purple. Goldenboy climbing:

The light got good:

Mbsc, Treasure behind. Our ascent and descent routes both used the looker's right of the second big fin:

Goldenboy on top of Purple Mountain for the second time today:

Mbsc summiting Purple:

And one final ski back to the sleds! More perfect corn

What a day! Thanks to Mbsc and Goldenboy for making it happen, definitely a highlight of what has been an awesome year of skiing

That was fun... Thanks..

Wow, big day, great pics, great weather, thank your mothers.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

rad! wish i was there for this one...
    Drive slow, homie.

Darn, you guys are beasts. Some beautiful mountains & pictures in there!!!

Nice! Looking forward to skiing some CB backcountry corn this next weekend!

beyond impressed and jealous...keep it up!

Quality big day, well done

Great day out Tom! Sorry I kinda bonked at the end. I guess 4 days in a row of early wake-ups and hitting it hard was taking it's toll on me! What a great area though! Super pics, as usual
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

I love seeing BC pics from that area. I hope you bastards realize how lucky you are to have such close access to the goods. Way to get after it.

More awesome pics of the trip up at 14erskiers: http://14erskiers.com/franksblog/201...k-tour-5-8-11/

^^ Don't you just want to frame that photo and put it on your nightstand so you can give your snowmobile a kiss goodnight every night? Love those things. Great pics and TR for a great day.