Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    $1K is not at all out of the ballpark. I just had my water pump replaced on my 89' Toyota pickup last week.
    The total bill was $954. I know the mechanics of an engine well, but also know that taking everything off necessary to access the water pump is not something I want to tackle myself.
    Took it in and told them that while you have the front of the block torn apart, replace the timing belt, fan clutch, belts, thermostat, any pulleys, ect ect ect. Make sure to have them check all the stuff on the front of the engine since you are paying them ~$700 in labor anyway.
    Just be glad you found the problem when you did. Having a water pump fail, or worse, seize up on a trip or in the backcountry is not something you want to deal with. Season ender. :-(

Fats-

On this engine, a failed water pump is more the culprit for a major timing belt failure than the timing belt failing on its own.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    On this engine, a failed water pump is more the culprit for a major timing belt failure than the timing belt failing on its own.
    Yeah- that was my point. Better to spend $1k now, then have a really expensive paperweight soon.

As to selling the car- could anyone really do that, knowing what you know? I tend to hope not. To sell the car, you would have to get it fixed anyway, right?
    Please tell me that is what you guys would do.

Looks like the timing belt and water pump were never changed so I was teeing this up for awhile anyway. I plan to have them do as much as possible while it is in a service ready state. And I agree, selling would be a bear, knowing what I know. I would take the hit one way or another. Considering its nearly paid off, I think I will get er done and hopefully grab a bunch more miles out of it before it becomes a write-off.