Really stupid, inconsequential, very minor workplace ethics question

, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

At my job we have an "Outstanding Contributor Award", think employee of the month, but once a year and three people. Comes with a $500 check. A nomination form is sent out to everyone and then the nominations are voted on by a committee made up of the winners from the past two years. It looks good in your HR file to have one this and is in many ways a right of passage for new(ish) employees.

I won last year and am consequently on the committee to select for this year. Is it ok for me to nominate, since I will be one of the people picking through the nominations? Specifically, there is someone who I think really deserves this (he was also nominated last year when I won), who also happens to be a close work friend, does a similar job to my own (for a different department) and quite honestly doesn't deal with that many other people (who may nominate him), but is no less deserving. The guy is good at what he does and goes out of his way for everyone who crosses his path. (to contrast, my position is very public and pretty much everyone in the building knows/works with me at some point)

Today, I mounted a mini campaign to nominate him, basically I sent out an e-mail to a few people he has helped out recently (all of whom I'm on good/close terms with) and said "hey guys, let's all nominate him"- I've gotten a couple of "definitely, he's awesome responses". If nominated I can basically ensure that he wins.

Is this unethical favorite playing? Should I let others nominate and then vote on the nominees? Or is it cool for me to help someone I feel deserves this win?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

do you think everyone else who has been choosing has been doing this? I think you're in the clear. Just because you're picking doesn't mean you can't also help nominate in my opinion.

ensuring the guy gets the $500 award for 'personal' favors he's done for you is unethical, in my opinion; but I don't think it's quite crossed the line into prostitution, yet.

I am no Randy Cohen but IMHO you should NOT be nominating anyone.

My wife says as long as you are not fucking this person, it's all good.

So our household divides its vote. Unless you are fucking him, in which case 2 votes against.
    Last edited by JoeStrummer; 04-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

IMHO the email was ok but if you're a 'judge' it would be good to let it go there and let it play out.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    ensuring the guy gets the $500 award for 'personal' favors he's done for you is unethical, in my opinion; but I don't think it's quite crossed the line into prostitution, yet.
    First off, let's be honest here, the $500 goes to someone who has hooked someone (or several people) up. There is no illusion about the politics involved. The very nature of my jobs lends itself to hooking others up, hence I won last year (FWIW, I've been in this job just shy of 4 years, nominated twice, won it once and my predecessor was never even nominated in 5 or 6 years on the job). There are a handful of people that have won it several times and while they are all very dedicated, solid workers, I do realize that they (much like me) are in very public positions that lend themselves to winning this year after year.

That's partially why I want this guy to win it. He doesn't get nearly as much face time as me, but when he does, he goes above and beyond. Thats why I want him to win, he full on deserves it and might not have as good of a chance to win as when I am voting.

It's not so much personal favors he has done to help my agenda, but someone comes to me looking for help and I defer to this guy, whether openly or not. There are certain situations where it's better (for him and his department) that people don't know who he is or what he does. The people I solicited today are people that came to me first and I then put them directly in touch with him, so they get it.

Really, there are a few other people who I have sneaking suspicion will be nominated this year and I plan to lobby strongly for if nominated, but this is the only person I feel like nominating and the only person I would be upset about if they didn't win.

To complicate matters more, I know that this person's boss (who is close with both this person and myself) lobbied strongly for me to win last year. So it could come across as a politic circle jerk, but the only people who would know that are half of this year's voting committee (who also voted last year) and HR (most of whom know the deal and get how my department and this guy's interact).

Isn't it your job, as a committee member, to see that the award goes to the most deserving?

And you think he is the most deserving, if you were to be honest with yourself?

What's the problem?

He got nominated last year without you going to bat for him, what makes you so sure he won't again without your help?

And if you're really that concerned I'm sure it would be no biggie if you just asked HR what the policy was,
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    He got nominated last year without you going to bat for him, what makes you so sure he won't again without your help?
    True. I guess I just want to make sure he is nominated by a few people, because if his name comes up, I'm lobbying for it. I know I can make him win like Charlie Sheen this year, I just want to make sure he gets on the ballot.
    Again, he doesn't come up on many people's radar, but when he does, the feedback is overwhelmingly positive. I guess I should just roll with it and expect that he will be nominated.

Seriously though, this award is little more than a popularity contest.

This was meant as nothing more than the obligatory TGR, "you're probably fucking him, gaywad" post.

Honestly though, I would tread cautiously campaigning for him, not that it's unethical, but likely because it might bend some other slacker douche who is convinced he is more deserving of the award, causing them to make stink about your involvement and presents it as some conflict of interest, creating office drama and a potential 'meeting' with HR. That's just something you don't want to be involved in; especially if you're fucking him.

You should definitely stop fucking him.

AND unfriend him on Facebook.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I think the right thing to do here is cut a deal with this guy. Maybe something along the lines of you get $100 if he wins. That way this becomes a WIN-WIN for everybody!

$0.02
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Nominate him and abstain from voting. You should probably disclose the butt humping though.

Send the competition to Svalbrad?

If you think he is the best candidate to win, then I see no issue with nominating him.

Ethics--we don't need no stinkin' ethics. Vamanos

In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Isn't it your job, as a committee member, to see that the award goes to the most deserving?

And you think he is the most deserving, if you were to be honest with yourself?

What's the problem?
    I agree with the counselor.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This was meant as nothing more than the obligatory TGR, "you're probably fucking him, gaywad" post.

Honestly though, I would tread cautiously campaigning for him, not that it's unethical, but likely because it might bend some other slacker douche who is convinced he is more deserving of the award, causing them to make stink about your involvement and presents it as some conflict of interest, creating office drama and a potential 'meeting' with HR. That's just something you don't want to be involved in; especially if you're fucking him.
    Whoops, didn't catch the use of the word "personal". Thats funneh

I doubt any slacker DBs will find out what I am doing, only the committee sees the nominations. A meeting with HR is very unlikely, for anything really. This is more of "is this right?" question.

I say fuck it, he deserves it, I'm going to nominate him. I will however look over all nominees equally and not let the fact that I am fucking any of them influence my decision. ;-)

Take him out for lunch, buy him a few drinks and slip him a roofie. Get him some hookers and blow and get incriminating photos. Show him the photos later in the week, and explain why he's your bitch now. Then you won't have this pesky ethics question bothering you.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Take him out for lunch, buy him a few drinks and slip him a roofie. Get him some hookers and blow and get incriminating photos. Show him the photos later in the week, and explain why he's your bitch now. Then you won't have this pesky ethics question bothering you.
    Wait, what?? Huh?

fuck it, any plan with drinks, hookers, blow, roofies and lunch has got to be fun. i'm in.

Helldawg Guest
    This award should be based solely on how well said employee handles their TPS reports.

you asked 3 questions.

Here are 3 answers.

1. No
    2. Yes (strange question does not seem to matter)
    3. YES already.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    you asked 3 questions.

Here are 3 answers.

1. No
    2. Yes (strange question does not seem to matter)
    3. YES already.
    FWIW, I was fairly schmammered when I started this thread.