New binding mount - need to tighten screws

So I just got a binding mount job back from the shop but whoever did it neglected to tighten the screws all the way. One heel piece is lifted ~ 2 mm off the ski and the other is closer but could be tighter. It looks like they used some glue (don't know what kind).

My plan is to try and tighten the screws first, and if it doesn't budge heat the screws a bit with a base repair iron to soften the glue and then tighten.

Is this a bad idea? Am I a JONG? At least I'm in Tech Talk. Thanks.

F that. Bring them back to the shop, demand $ back for a bungled mount, and then when you get home tighten 'er up... (just 1st pull the screws out, insert wood glue of your choice, and tighten as appropriate).

Take them back and have them do it right. They might have not drilled the holes deep enough. You might not be able to tighten them down more, and may risk stripping the holes. Better to have them screw them up than you. You'll have recourse if they messed them up. If you try to fix them, it's a little more of a challenge.
    Gravity. It's the law.

More likely the plastic topsheet material has "volcanoed" (deformed above the topsheet) and is holding the binding up off the ski even though the screws feel tight.

You can take them off and shave the material down with something sharp, or hit the holes very lightly with a countersink, and put them back on . . .

2nd on the "volcano" scenario. Take them back. Then learn how to mount your own skis.

I took them back and they just torqued down the screws. He grabbed a brand new screw driver to get a good bite saying the screws felt soft so I guess it might have been worth the drive, I'd a been fucking around thinking I'd need to heat the glue before I torqued it that hard. it looks fine now - no volcanoing.

I've mounted lots-o-touring bindings myself over the years, mostly because I'm a stickler for precision. I've never mounted alpine bindings before but maybe I'll teach myself that too. Didn't want to mess up a beautiful new pair of Priors learning. thanks for the replies.

Wow, this is awful. Soft screws has nothing to do with how flush the binders are, unless they stripped out all the screws . Their fix-it sounds sketch to me. You don't know what kind of glue they used, and they broke the bond between screw and glue when they tightened them down (and probably jacked up the holes as there would have been dried glue packed under the screws). That means that they might be flush now, but their durability is probably worse than before. I would definitely pull them off of there and check out the status of the hole threads, then re-mount with marine epoxy. And anyone who uses wood glue for a binding mount is a total retard.

Quote Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
    And anyone who uses wood glue for a binding mount is a total retard.
    We must be headed toward idiocracy then because wood glue is standard practice.
    Last edited by D(C); 04-15-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ignatz View Post
    I've mounted lots-o-touring bindings myself over the years, mostly because I'm a stickler for precision. I've never mounted alpine bindings before but maybe I'll teach myself that too. Didn't want to mess up a beautiful new pair of Priors learning. thanks for the replies.
    Alpines are actualy easier than touring bindings cuz you don't need to worry about the heel piece needing to slide perfectly into the rear latch ,the big question is exactly WHERE to mount and you can get the dimensions from all the template threads on this site

Agreed that wood glue is standard practice, but there are waterproof wood glues out there.

Marshal suggested using Goop Marine Sealant. I'm giving that a shot because I was having issues with my screws on my NTN bindings backing out. Never EVER had that issue before, so I'm thinking it is more because of the screw than the glue.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    ...I was having issues with my screws on my NTN bindings backing out. Never EVER had that issue before, so I'm thinking it is more because of the screw than the glue.
    It's worth mentioning that IME that's a fairly standard issue w/ NTN until you've retightened them a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It's worth mentioning that IME that's a fairly standard issue w/ NTN until you've retightened them a couple of times.
    It seems to happen too often from what I read on the intertubez. I don't like it... I think I retightened mine 3 times befor removing them and trying Goop. But then I got hurt, and never got to see if the Goop was going to solve the issue. Next year...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    It seems to happen too often from what I read on the intertubez. I don't like it...
    Yeah well, telemarking is kind of stupid anyway.

It's happened to me. I've just screwed the screws tighter and went skiing. Never been an issue since...

Yeah well, telemarking is kind of stupid anyway.
    True...

Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    It's happened to me. I've just screwed the screws tighter and went skiing. Never been an issue since...
    You should ski harder.
    Gravity. It's the law.

The mount is probably fine. The screw probably got tight and the tech didn't want to strip it by over torquing it. Not paying enough attention, he didn't notice that the binding wasn't flush with the top sheet. If you want, pull the screws out and dump more waterproof wood glue in the holes and remount (I wouldn't use a screw gun when remounting in same holes) to make sure they didn't break the waterproof seal.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    These days being an idiot seems to be stardard practice.

Learn to mount your own skis, no one will care more than you.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Sounds a bit lame to me.

There's every chance the mount is structurally fine, but at the very least the water sealing is compromised.

How hard is it to take the heels off, shave the topsheet if necessary, put a bit of new glue in the holes, and screw them back on?

Even though you never saw it because they never removed the bindings, I suspect there is some volcanoing involved and it was just squashed down by brute force - no other reason for the things to be elevated off the topsheet unless they were put on upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post

Exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post

It's a trade-off: shop idiot with a proper jig vs. me who cares with a paper jig. Hmmm...

Everyone I know uses slow set epoxy (not polyester or vinylester resin). Actually, I did meet one lunatic that said epoxy would ruin foam cores but I've seen plenty of foam core skis mounted with epoxy and never a problem. We ski a lot of heavy, deep coastal cement and experience has shown that epoxy is the way to go because it strengthens the area immediately surrounding the screw. Shops don't like to use it because it takes a little longer to mix epoxy and care must be taken to not make a mess. Wood glue wipes off with a damp rag. The easiest/cheapest way is not necessarily the best way.

It's a trade-off: shop idiot with a proper jig vs. me who cares with a paper jig. Hmmm...
    In my case it's a guy who cares and has the proper jig, so no trade off.

X2 with the epoxy.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Sounds a bit lame to me.

There's every chance the mount is structurally fine, but at the very least the water sealing is compromised.

How hard is it to take the heels off, shave the topsheet if necessary, put a bit of new glue in the holes, and screw them back on?

Even though you never saw it because they never removed the bindings, I suspect there is some volcanoing involved and it was just squashed down by brute force - no other reason for the things to be elevated off the topsheet unless they were put on upside down.
    ^what he said. shop tech should have done more investigation when you brought them back. unmount, shave (i use a bastard file), re glue and remount. make sure no holes were stripped when the sloppy tech retorqued.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.