drift boat fly rod storage

Any of you have a great idea for storing strung-up fly rods on a drift boat?

It seems most people either:
    (1) store them in a long PVC tube tied to the side of the boat,
    (2) just stick them behind or next to the rower without any sort of rod holder,
    (3) place them in a rack next to the rower than holds the rod angled up and back, or
    (4) have a clackacraft (or similar home-made modification) with the built in rod storage dealios.

I've had success with options 2 and 3 in the past, but it would be great to hear of some great idea I've never thought of. Must work for rods up to at least 12 feet if I'm going to use it on my boat.

Thanks in advance!

Somewhat related... I carry and sell a shitton of these guys http://www.stickjacket.com/Web/Home.php
    If you are storing multiple rods in any of the above situations these take 2 seconds to take on and off, are cheap, protect the rods, and most importantly keep them from getting tangled. Really handy.

I second snapt's recommendation with the stick jackets. They are also great for pontoon boats.

I usually float on boats using the last three options that were listed.

Denny

wtf is the point of a giant cumsock for your rod?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

protect them from getting beat up and keep multiple rigged rods from getting tangled.

I have an Outcast PAC 1000 pontoon boat (10 footer). With multiple rods (Spey and single handers) strapped to the boat, there is a lot of overhang off of the back. I break down my four piece and place them in the Stick Jackets. With my rods covered up, I do not have to worry about the tips getting snagged or slammed on something because there is no overhang.

Hey SnapT. I am sure that you know Bill Lowe. He uses the Stick Jackets on his driftboat.

Denny
    Last edited by Denny1969; 04-16-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added something

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Thanks for the link teleee. I swear I searched, but that's the nicest "search jong" I've ever seen.

Any problem with keeping the rods bent like that over the long run?

No worries, and I am the worst search jong in the world! I havent noticed any problems and asked the guys at Hyde who use the exact same system and they said there was no damage to the rod, so I hope not!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Bump...how did the flexible tubing work? Pictures?

just put this in my DB, using it this weekend....velcro attachment means that you can put 9' rods up front and 13" rods next to you sticking out the back. $29

http://rodsaddle.tripod.com/index.html

basically it's a PVC tube with an insulation tube inside of it. cut some vertical spaces out of the PVC, smooth the edges, insert the foam tube, and cut the slots for the rods.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Tap, how did that owrk out for you?

I'm trying to find a solution for car-top aactually, without spending money, of course. I run a youth flyfishing camp one week every summer for TU, and I'm running multiple kids up and down the river for a week. I've been using my ski-rack to avoid disassembling rods, or runnin gthem through the car and risking the kiddos snapping one as they get in or out. But a homemade version of the rod saddle looks interesting.

Bump for what I rigged up for my cataract frame. 1.5 inch schedule 40 conduit, and a cheap rod holder from cableas and some heavy duty cable ties. I think I have all of maybe 20 dollars into this. Works like a charm...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using TGR Forums
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?