Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    As for the avalung, it was very easy to put in but I have had one since they came out and am quite practiced with it. It held pretty easy in my mouth but I did cut up my lips quite a bit. If Black Diamond are listening, a more comfortable mouthpiece would be appreciated.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

I should add that this is just the raw footage that I was encouraged to put out by a friend as a service to BC skiers. WCF3 was the guy behind me and brought me my ski (that dude had his beacon out and ready to go before the dust cleared- a good guy to have in your crew) and he coincidently had his cam going as well. He is editing the footage together and there will be a much better cut, where you can see there response to my crew seeing the yellow bag. THAT will sell you on airbags more than anything.

www.poachninja.com

/\ I agree with Mr McSki up there.

I can't help but feel that pilot needs a reasonable punch to the face. Not even a once over? All that's missing is a cigarette and a French accent.

I jest. had this happened in the Alps, you would have been on your back with a torch monitoring your eyes, with a view to flying you to the nearest hospital. That was not an insignificant ride you took. Bummer you bent the chetlers.

You can say that the guide was too calm (I don't think so but that is my opinion) but you cannot fault the pilot. It isn't his job to do a first aid and the guide was right there. Calm AK heli pilots are a good thing.

I am heart broken over the Chetlers. I loved those skis and I had to pull a bunch of favors to get the 192 length. Broke Chetlers = Broken heart

www.poachninja.com

Stunt-do you think it was more habit/unfamiliarity thing to go with the avalung first or in restrospect would you go for the ripcord? Heard you comment at 10 minutes in that you couldn't find it... I guess your further thoughts on bag vs combo would be useful.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

I like how at around the 5:30 min mark from the shadow it looks like sponge bob square pants is walking around...

But seriouslyl that was crazy and glad you made it out!

Just to clarify, I did go for the bag first but my lack of familiarity with it had me fumbling for the rip cord. I was getting snow rammed down my throat so I put in the avalung, which I had practiced with, and focussed on the bag. My initial plan was bag first, lung second. The run before I was teased for using both to which I answered "if someone was selling a parachute I would have that as well". Until then I will continue to use both, especially on heli or sled.

www.poachninja.com

holy fuck buddy, glad you're alright.

damn. glad that ended more or less favorably.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    WCF3 was the guy behind me and brought me my ski (that dude had his beacon out and ready to go before the dust cleared- a good guy to have in your crew) and he coincidently had his cam going as well. He is editing the footage together and there will be a much better cut, where you can see there response to my crew seeing the yellow bag.
    Glad you're okay, holy sh!t! Looking forward to seeing the other footage.

Great footage. Glad you are well.

I too wonder if the avalung is a worthwhile addition to my snowpulse. I think likely not as getting caught in an avalanche does look a lot like getting worked in a kayak; one of the few things I'm comfotable with and would asumably be level headed enough to pull the cord.. I'm surprised you were floated on your back while the ballonn is on your back. Ialso surprised you didn't incur any significant trauma. One of the reasons I purchased the Snopulse ws that the ballon wraps aroudn the upper back, head and chest. I figured this arrangement would more likely float me head up as well as other benefits such as head and thoracic trauma protection.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I should add that this is just the raw footage that I was encouraged to put out by a friend as a service to BC skiers. WCF3 was the guy behind me and brought me my ski (that dude had his beacon out and ready to go before the dust cleared- a good guy to have in your crew) and he coincidently had his cam going as well. He is editing the footage together and there will be a much better cut, where you can see there response to my crew seeing the yellow bag. THAT will sell you on airbags more than anything.
    That will be interesting fottage -- a view from below then above

By the way I was just looking at your POACHNINJA link -- the section TOPO ALBUMS, with them all consolidated is a great idea -- esp now w/ everyone having access to google earth to lay out lines
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Wow, crazy footage. That run seemed so perfect, easy pow turns then the slide happens. Good thing you had all that safety gear.

I am with a lot of the other people here; I don’t get the response by the others. I think they should have checked you out, it does not matter what your background is, I saw a guy with a strong background get up after a crash take 3 steps and die. Other than that, no hugs/hi 5's, etc. That part I don’t get at all. its like they were completely unaffected by what happened or it was no deal. It is not that the thing ripped, but you were in the rip, involved in a save your life situation. Guess I am a pussy.
    believe me its real.

Hand on head signal = good. Walking and skiing even better. Heli pilot was overhead in a flash.

Them mountains are quiet.

Great video, cant wait to see the rest. Glad your ok.

Watching the clip you can see where people are coming from with the 'yeah, what ever' vibe from the others in the scene. The pilot can be excused - he's the pilot. But what about the guy who checks out your broken ski and then just throws it on the ground? The footage is probably biased in what it does not show, but the whole affair does seem a bit trivial: always choose a line with no terrain traps, unfortunately get in an avalanche, pull the ripcord, 'float' to the top of the debris, ski the next line.
    Life is not lift served.

THE RIDE

glad everything worked out. took a big ride myself this winter and was able to swim out of it. no bag or avalung for me. glad they worked for you. a testament fer sure.

be safe

rog

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Thanks for sharing your story glad both you and Rog came out of rather scary sits relatively unscathed
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yes, Hohes, it is what the video doesn't show that makes it seem a bit more laissez faire than it was. I was flown back to base and I had myself checked over. I had a sprained ankle and a small shoulder separation. I was given anti-inflamatories and took a short break of about 30 mins and then asked what I wanted to do. I answered "ski" and only then did we hit the next line.

www.poachninja.com

Just saw this. Helluva ride, Stunts. Glad there was no big slabs in it, from what I could see. And it reinforces that one guy down does not mean a slope is safe. Strong follow-up by wcf3.

Jeebus. Scary. Glad to see the positive end-result.

forest Guest
    wow, glad you are okay.

Edit with additional footage

Didn't see that StuntCok had posted this up until this morning. I just finished an edit with the additional footage last night. This is youTube, so the picture quality isn't as good as the vimeo HD, but it hopefully provides some additional insight.

Last edited by wcf3; 04-15-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

Very well done edit -- esp. the timeline and the text commentary

over three minutes to ski what the slide made in 40 seconds; and given the fact you had a partner down I'm guessing you were skiing it pretty fast

You mention that another skier would have had that turn -- did he also have an avalanche bag and/or avalung?

Looks like the outcome would have been much more iffy without (to say the least)

Also interesting to see photos that show the scale of this thing --debris pile and crown

Again congratulations on having good gear, good luck, and apparently good companions
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

It is here, before the need for rescue gear (shovel, beacon probe), where our preventative measures and gear come into place. I cut hard 45 degrees after seeing the cracks. Mistaking a breaking bit of slab for the edge of the slide, I actually though I would make it just before the rug was pulled out from under me. Lucky for me, I don't use pole straps (another preventative measure) so the only violent tugging came from my skis, which quickly broke off (literally) despite 14 din settings.
    Do you feel like you might have made it off the slab if you had continued to your left rather than tried cutting back to your right? Or was there a chance of digging in to the bed surface if you tried as soon as it first broke?

Not trying to second guess at all. In my experience, cutting back against your direction of travel just gives the slab enough time to get moving fast enough to make it near impossible to stay on your feet.

Glad you came out of it ok. Vibes for the skis+++

And nice edit by wcf3.