Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks for sharing this. Glad you're ok. I think I'm getting an airbag. I'm surprised to hear the avalung went in (and stayed in ) with ease. Once it was in, did you feel it being pulled out at all?

Happy you are still walking and skiing and breathing, Jeff. Pretty sobering isn't it?

Some obs:

1. you = emotional swearing fail.

2. sly pilot knew the head cam was rolling and played it up for the shoot.
    Life is not lift served.

holy shit! looks like going down a rapid upside down in a kayak. very happy ending of such a clip to see you ski down to the heli, even if the skis are trashed.
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Way to maintain. Glad yer underwear was the only casualty. Again, impressively composed. Unless you came completely unglued once the camera stopped.
    I live, I love, I slay. I am content.-conan the barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    sly pilot knew the head cam was rolling and played it up for the shoot.
    Yeah I noticed that to, good everyone remained cool calm and collected but after something like that I would have expected some reaction from the others

Thanks for sharing this and glad you made it out -- hell of a ride
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Gald to see and hear your ok.......hell of a ride down and what a relaxed pilot.......he doesn't even flinch .....someone and your gear really looked after you.....glad had good ending........
    always forward but never straight

Thanks for sharing... this just reinforces that I need to buy an airbag before next season comes around.

Thanks again!
    "I'm looking pretty good, don't you think?" - the other says "watching you ski is like watching a retarded monkey rollerblade on a gravel road"

www.majesticheliski.com

Glad you're OK. Can you give me a call at BCA, extension 113? Thanks, Steve

Dude, you are a warrior!

I've had my doubts about Valdez Heli Guides; This didn't improve it.
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Impressive that we didn't hear a single "Fuuuuuck" or "Shiiiiit" during your entire ride and recovery.
    This was my first thought too. But I guess it might be hard to swear with an avalung in your mouth.

I don't know if my post-avy reaction would be your silent/still bewilderment or a string of cursing. Glad to hear you were alright.

Was I the only one impressed by the broken ski, one pole powder steeze at the end? I'd have wanted my mama to carry me home at that point.

Well done on all aspects, glad you came through relatively unscathed. Go buy a lottery ticket, baby Jesus is on your side.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Glad you are okay! It is a little surprising that nobody gave you a thorough once over. I'm sure you had adrenaline rushing over you - and it's very easy to miss internal injuries... I would have at least pushed on your ribs and checked for sore spots through your organs.

Damn Jeff! Good job of being prepared and using your gear correctly. Thanks for posting it up as it's a great reminder of how avalanches sweep you off your feet in an instant no matter how good of a skier you are. Scary shit, and while that slide appeared to be relatively mellow(not that it wasn't serious), imagine getting taken over cliffs or cheese gratered, or dragged through trees in a slide of that caliber. Glad to hear you didn't blow a knee or worse.

shit thats scary
    Ski The East

I'm here to reserve a spot in the post of the year. I think the explosion in the use of the gopro is gonna make all of us see a lot more rad stuff like this. Glad you are alright.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by daviski View Post
    Yeah I noticed that to, good everyone remained cool calm and collected but after something like that I would have expected some reaction from the others

Thanks for sharing this and glad you made it out -- hell of a ride
    If anything, I say the pilot was anything but cool. More like a massive fail for not even give his client a once over.

Your adrenalin must have been off the charts. Not a time to take someone at their word that they are ok and unhurt.

I've skied with that Op and like them a lot, but am a bit disappointed in their response to what looked like a pretty good thrashing.

Glad your OK, great video!

I've only watched to 2.07 mins. I'll watch the rest in a mo.

It's haunting, the absolute silence besides your stuttered breathing and hitting your head occasionally. I can almost feel the fear and adrenaline.

Horrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I don't fault the pilot/guide at all for their response. FCalm is the best response you want from those in authority or better in the know and I was not so rattled that I couldn't do a self assessment of my own injuries. I am sure that if I seemed a lot more panicked or whatnot he would have done a more thorough assessment of my physical state but I wasn't and I did my own assessment at the bottom. I used to fight semi-professionally and know what to look for and the guide knew that.

As for the slope, as I said, it was tested and skied (the guide skied first) and from our assessment it was reasonable to ski. I say reasonable because no slope is 100% safe and no test can give 100% certainty, which is why we wear beacons etc. We were in the private chopper with very experienced clients and we do push it more than the public ships but that is because we understand the risks somewhat better. That said, the guide still chose lines without exposure, terrain traps and other features that would have increased the severity of any accident.

BTW, While it looks and sounds like I am hitting my head, I am, in fact, waving at that point to indicate I am ok. As for afterwards, I was on my feet and skiing within 45mins of that slide.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

...that pilot is strait up chillin'
    sick runout

glad you are ok!
    thanks for posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thanks for posting up - sobering. Glad you are OK.

when you travel with the float, do you purge the canister, or do the airlines let you fly with that full.
    I have one and dont know what to do with full canister.

I have to purge the canister but the great thing about the float is that it can be filled by anyone with compressed air. In Valdez, there was a H20 guide with a compressor in his hotel room, while in Haines the fire dept would do it for free. Paintball and scuba places also work but you need an adapter. I recommend also getting the adapter as I didn't have one for the Fire Dept in Haines but luckily the lead guide did.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Thanks for posting.

This video should make my lady understand why I am going to shell out the cash for the BCA airbag pack.

Glad you are still skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    I don't fault the pilot/guide at all for their response. FCalm is the best response you want from those in authority or better in the know and I was not so rattled that I couldn't do a self assessment of my own injuries. I am sure that if I seemed a lot more panicked or whatnot he would have done a more thorough assessment of my physical state but I wasn't and I did my own assessment at the bottom. I used to fight semi-professionally and know what to look for and the guide knew that. ...
    BTW, While it looks and sounds like I am hitting my head, I am, in fact, waving at that point to indicate I am ok. As for afterwards, I was on my feet and skiing within 45mins of that slide.
    Glad you feel ok about the response and don't want to Monday morning QB this to death. However, guestimating from you POV footage, you took a couple thousand foot ride in a washing machine. Personally, I was shocked there was not more of a response from who I assume to be the Guide and the pilot once you got to the chopper. Mainly because the first response of anyone I've ever met with head trauma is to say they are ok. That's all. Just kind of shocked me that not even a cursory look-see was made considering the ride you took. Not the end of the world, just struck me as odd.

Again, glad your. You should get royalties from BCA on use of that footage. It just sold me on the pack after watching that!