TR: South Face "Birthday Chutes", Mt. Sneffels 4.2.11

Skied the Birthday Chutes in spring corn conditions on Saturday. Made for the perfect blend of challenge and fun. Definitely a line worth checking out if you've never been back there. A few photos:

Read the full TR on our blog:

http://exploretherockies.org/2011/04...ay-chutes-ski/

Cheers!
    Last edited by benners; 02-28-2014 at 12:36 PM.

I'm pretty sure I saw you up there; I was the guy in yellow pants. It sure was a beautiful day.

Lani in the SJ?

Yep, we gave you a shout out when you came over the ridge line. How was your ski?

I was meaning to ski the bday chute further right of the one you skied, but didn't go hard right enough off the summit and skied the same chute but a little more directly off the top. Slightly overbaked, like your TR states, but very fun. Then I climbed to the top again and downclimbed into the Snake Couloir and skied that. I'd probably rap into it if I did it again, but it was fun. Conditions not the best, but an epic line. Then I had to bring the pain to get over that pass again - kicked my ass - but all in all a wonderful day. There are some pictures and a writeup on my site.

Gotta give credit to adimmen 'cuz I'd called him the night before and wasn't even aware of the Snake Couloir, so he was my muse.

Dude that's unreal, what is that like 9,000 vert? We looked at the Snake but decided on the quick out, though I will definitely be back to ski it in the future.

great lines. A few friends and I skied the Bday Chutes and the Snake- although we did it in two days- and definitely used a rope to get into the Snake. That is one hell of a day to get both and go unroped...